A earth-like planet have been found orbiting Alpha Centauri (4 light years away from us). I think it's great news...

A earth-like planet have been found orbiting Alpha Centauri (4 light years away from us). I think it's great news. We already know the planet where future human colonies will travel to when we destroy our planet.

Other urls found in this thread:

space.com/33834-discovery-of-planet-proxima-b.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter#?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=2016twitterdlvrit
ice.cat/personal/iribas/Proxima_b/indepth.html
youtube.com/watch?v=K7OloPuLMpA&list=PLIIOUpOge0LuGoV8698AWjDcMYeB9OvEf&index=2
afirm.mil/).
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Venus is also considered an Earth like planet, just to give you some perspective

Sauce space.com/33834-discovery-of-planet-proxima-b.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter#?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=2016twitterdlvrit

>1.3 Earth mass
>11.2 day orbit
>tidally locked
>flare star

""""""""""""""Earth-like""""""""""""""

>>this
What could go wrong?

pic?

When they say earth-like it's more focused on being in the green zone of its system and having a rocky surface than on sizes and orbits. I think temperature and liquid water would be way more important for us to survive than the size of the planet or how long last its days. But you know that, come on.

there could be many special conditions that could still allow the presence of life (like there are many such conditions on earth)

it's clearly wishful thinking, but now we know that the possibility is there.

You people are so pessimistic.

While the odds are that Proxima b is a barren wasteland there's always a chance it's a second Earth!

So?
Even if there was a planet EXACTLY like earth only a lighyear away from us it would still take nearly 17,000 years travelling at conventional speeds in a spacecraft to get there

it cant be a second earth, being tidally locked and so close to an extremely unstable star

that being said, we know of extreme life forms on earth, im 99.9% conviced there is currently life on prox b

with current tech we need ~60y to get back info from it if we werent killing each other that is

sad days

but also happy days

idk

Funland found this. Funland invents memes, invents Nokias, invents Linuxes, invents IRCs, invents ylilautas and now invents planets.

What has America ever invented?

advancements in genocide and slavery, mountain dew

Freedoms, duh.

It's not impossible for there to be life in the atmosphere of venus.

Yup. Not counting on finding any ayy's there

SOON

Will the JWT be able to look at the planet's spectrum to determine what chemicals are present?

>Even if there was a planet EXACTLY like earth only a lighyear away from us it would still take nearly 17,000 years travelling at conventional speeds in a spacecraft to get there

Or 40 years in spacecraft with 60-70s technology.

Dayum JWT lookin fine as fuck.

>Will the JWT be able to look at the planet's spectrum to determine what chemicals are present

Pretty certain I read that that was going to be something it would be doing.

Apparently in about 5-10 years when the better telescopes come online.

>Voyager just left the solar system a few years ago
>hurrdurr 40 years to another star

>hurr durr we will travel on Voyager
How retarded are you?
/x/ is this way--->

Part of an email from the astrophsyics professor at my uni:

"None of it is confirmation of habitability, or even that the planet is real; but this detection is way more convincing than the planet around Alpha Centauri B announced in 2012 and recently retracted. They did a much more thorough job ruling out a false positive, including detecting the signal with several telescopes.

But let's not start building the spaceships just yet. Two obvious caveats: 1) As a low mass star (a red dwarf), Proxima is very active. The X-ray flux the planet receives is 400 times what Earth receives. A fluorescent planet! Plus, the planet may be frequently bombarded by stellar flares and coronal mass ejections. 2) As the detection method was radial velocity, we only have a minimum mass, because we do not know the inclination of the orbit. The actual mass maybe much bigger, putting the planet on the icy giant or even gas giant range."

>always a chance it's a second Earth
Orbital locking makes this utterly impossible.

Tidal lock means half the planet will be hot, half cold.
Water wouldn't be possible everywhere.
A fast orbit guarantees there's no real weather systems.
The extra gravity would be problematic.

Probably not without a specially formed star shade which has to be lined up with great accuracy.

I'm sorry did they have astronomically (lol get it) better technology in the 50s and 60s and just choose not to use it or are you just a retard?

>le epic /x/ maymay when beaten in an argument

yep, just a retard

>Water wouldn't be possible everywhere.
In fact, any water on the day side would fall as rain or snow on the night side where it would be forever trapped.

Liquid water on the night side means a searing hot bone dry day side and absolutely torrential rain on the night side

No, a tidal lock can also mean resonance which means the planet side doesn;t always face the sun

ice.cat/personal/iribas/Proxima_b/indepth.html
>At the short orbital distance of Proxima b, strong tidal forces exerted by the star allow only two possible rotations for the planet. In the first case the planet is synchronous, its rotation period is equal to its orbital period (11.2 days) and it always presents the same face to its star. In the second case the planet rotates 3 times every 2 orbits (3:2 spin-orbit resonance, like Mercury), a situation that can arise if the orbit is slightly eccentric (which is possible but not yet determined). In all cases, Proxima b should not have seasons because tidal forces cancel the obliquity, bringing the equator on the planet's orbital plane.

>doesn't know that several technologies for space propulsion are known but were never used
Retard

>In fact, any water on the day side would fall as rain or snow on the night side where it would be forever trapped.
>Liquid water on the night side means a searing hot bone dry day side and absolutely torrential rain on the night side

Depends on how much water the planet has and its CO2 content and the rotation it has

nope, dat planet is not transiting

>theoretical technology from the 60s is the same as applied, real technology

holy fuck just please stop posting, this is just embarrassing at this point

So much wishful thinking.

It's kind of cool though.

>ice.cat/personal/iribas/Proxima_b/indepth.html
Very interesting link.

I'd like to know why the temperature distribution was so asymmetric.

For the synchronous orbit parts would forever be at -60C. How is a massive ice buildup avoided? I'd like to see more about the heat transport in this model.

Oh wait, is that the x-fag who rambles how interstellar travel violates laws of physics?

>For the synchronous orbit parts would forever be at -60C. How is a massive ice buildup avoided?

I believe this is all to do with potential atmosphere.

>Alpha Centauri

>nobody corrects this

Is Veeky Forums retard?

>We already know the planet where future human colonies will travel to when we destroy our planet.

Isn't that what happened at the end of Cloud Atlas? Maybe that was just Hawaii, don't recall.

FRIENDLY REMINDER: Venus and Mars are both within Sol's "habitable zone"

Would you like to live on either of these planets?

>Travelling 1ly in 40 years
>Travelling at 0.025c

Do you have any idea how fast that is

>Would you like to live on either of these planets?
Yes.

>muh blimp cities

yes you fuck

now let me swallow sadness

While it would be extremely exciting that there may be a biota there, the chance of it being compatible with our biology is nil. It's still interesting that there's a planet there as I recently read the novel called "Proxima" which while not an amazing book, did describe an extant biota on such a tidally locked planet around Proxima.

>Sol

kys you pop sci faggot

We could reasonably get there in under 100 years with a fusion rocket.

Still, fucking shame that projects like NERVA got shelved. Shit was dope, dude

>Sol

Isaac Arthur made an in-depth and well-explained video about life on planets around red dwarfs and tidally locked planets.
youtube.com/watch?v=K7OloPuLMpA&list=PLIIOUpOge0LuGoV8698AWjDcMYeB9OvEf&index=2

just not as pedantic and autistic as you

brainlets detected

>solar system
>sol

There is literally nothing wrong with calling the sun Sol

Nobody in astronomy calls it Sol you huge faggot. Basically you're outing yourself as a sci-fi munching popsci weed smoker brainlet cunt.

Because we are only familiar with one star

If humanity ever becomes a multi-system species we'll probably call it sol

Get over it retard.

Ah yes, the Proxima Centauri Solar System.

oh the irony

Why are they all white?

Black people absorb all the photons around them and the telescope only works in a photon-rich environment.

DELETE THIS

You can't do a simple calculation to prove your assertions?

>We could reasonably get there in under 100 years with

This is cool as fuck, not that we can do anything with it for the foreseeable future.
Sustainable colonies on Mars when?

That's not even true

we wuz spoice tellzcope n shiat

SpaceX plans on starting the colony in 2018. Unmanned supplies will be dropped for a few years until humans are launched in 2024. Expect tons of delays. A more conservative timeline might have humans arriving in the 2030s. We'll eventually get there either way.

>I believe this is all to do with potential atmosphere.
It is hard to understand that CO2 can be so extremely conductive as to keep water liquid at -60 C. At this temperature you are close to formation of dry ice.

We would have been laucnhing our 20th generation ship toward the stars from our colonies on the jovian moons by now if the space race had continued.

Let that sink in

>Let that sink in
>huh really makes you think
not really tho

Impossibility of life in Venus-like conditions is more probable that possibility, given the little we know about life but the lot we know about Venus. Just the fact that the tougher synthetical device is unable to operate for more than a few minutes should give you some perspective.

My fault, now I read "atmosphere" in your comment. Nope, it is not impossible then.

You might terraform Venus using a huge mirror in the Lagrange point between the sun and the planet, pic related.

top part: the oblong blue part to the right
bottom: the oblong blue part to the left, casting a shadow on the blue planet.

They're not. It's just that when you get a big group of people in low resolution they tend to appear similar in skintone. I've seen a lot of photos of groups of nudists in public so I'm used to this phenomenon.

>Veeky Forums isn't autistic

wew lad

>40 years to travel 1 LY
>travel at 1/40th lightspeed
>that's about 7,500 km/s or 27,000,000 km/h
yeah, that sounds exactly like 60's tech to me. come to think of it, didn't Chuck Yeager do this back in '46?

You missed at least 4.

There is a bumblebee

good luck building that mirror senpai

The meek shall inherit the Earth.

The rest of us shall go to the stars.

Terraformed Mars? Fuck yeah

Which is why you're going to Venus, famalam

>Sol
So, the official names of the sun, moon and earth are Sol, Luna and Terra? Honest question, not trying to be pedantic.

No, no one found an Earth-like planet orbiting Alpha Centauri. That was just a rumor created via a blog from an anonymous source that used weasel words to make it appear so.

It is literally nothing.

Source?

None of it some kind of weird theoretical shit. Detonating nuclear bombs next to a pusher plate is entirely within the realm of possibility

Wat

We've been building fighter planes for a century and were on generation 6

And the military ain't hurting for funds

What a waste of nukes and radioactive elements.

Neither is entitlements, which has three times the budget of the military.

A hundred years ago it would be impossible to go there.

Who knows where we are a hundreds years from now.

>A hundred years ago it would be impossible to go there
and its still impossible to go there

Cool, so the press conferece from ESO (european southern observatory) that i saw yesterday with the scientits that made the discovery explaining how they found the exoplanet didnt happen either.

I'm sorry, but in the US, that's just wrong.

I'm not saying that we should cut government spending towards the military, mainly because public security and defense are pretty much a government's #1 job, and has always been, but entitlement spending isn't nearly as large of a budget.

Don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE to see scientific investment go up, but it's not as underfunded as you'd think. That's ignoring the fact that a reasonably large portion of the "military" budget goes to things like civil support and disaster relief, and doesn't even mention the amount of investing in R&D aircraft developments that are made, or the fact that there's DARPA contracts within the military budget, or even things like regenerative medicine research which goes through AFIRM (afirm.mil/).

>entitlement spending isn't nearly as large of a budget.
That is discretionary spending, by the way. Either way, you're right that the military has been responsible for a lot of technological innovation.

Veteran's benefits comes very much from Military activities. And how much of health also relates to this? Veterans often have problems later on, not all is admitted to be service related.

I've literally never heard anyone make the argument on the left.

>fusion is scifi
My favorite scifi tech could get there in like a week.

fusion that generates more electricity than the reactor consumes is indeed still scifi

>discretionary

Go away.