I don't perceive Neil deGrasse Tyson as particularly intelligent. Why is he special?

I don't perceive Neil deGrasse Tyson as particularly intelligent. Why is he special?

Other urls found in this thread:

arxiv.org/find/astro-ph/1/au: Tyson_N/0/1/0/all/0/1
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Unlike most astronomers, he can appear on TV and not put the audience to sleep.
Which is a good thing, those NASA bucks don't come from nowhere nigguh.

Melanin.

He is like any average experimental astrophysicist, except he does not have autism.

Scientists who can talk to the media and general public without coming off as a socially neutered shut-in or an ambulatory chloroform dispenser are rare. "Science outreach" is hugely important, because public perception of the value of scientific study is what pressures politicians to fund them (or rather, the lack of public interest is what lets politicians get away with cutting funding non-stop).

He's black and not a felon.

He's black, politically outspoken, and relatively charismatic.

Black Science Man.

Hi /pol/

kek

black guys with english accents are pretty informative. Just because hes not american and hes black doesnt mean you honkeys should hate on him

#BLM

because he can appeal to normies

100% smug. Like science guy.

>I don't perceive
Your problem, not his.

>a person who's livelihood depends on his audience shouldn't be concerned with his audience's perception

lmao

>shitposter on Veeky Forums

>audience

>Tyson was born as the second of three children in Manhattan, New York, into a family living in the Bronx.

No one cares what some shut-in thinks about celebrities. If you're not completely sequestered to pop-sci, you're not part of his audience anyway.

Because he smokes de grass and likes to nutted and she to keep suckin'

He's a science popularizer, and not a real scientist. But even so I think what he does is valuable. If you watched his Cosmos remake and didn't want to immediate sign up to become a scientist, you probably have no soul or you just have autism.

He is obviously very smart, though his focus is to educate people about science instead of focussing on his own research

He isn't and as a science "populariser" he's somewhere between terrible and dangerous. He, like all the others desu, doesn't discuss methods and experiment he (and they) just dispenses facts. This is, imo, giving the laymen a view of science that is the complete antithesis of what science is and how it's done, to wit they are giving the impression that science brings certainty. As I'm hoping everyone here already knows; you don't make certain conclusions (unless your a mathematician or, to a lesser extent, a theorist). You only draw conclusions to within the limits of your experiment, which should sound almost like a tautology to most peole here, but from what I can tell the majority of the public doesn't realise that. This has allowed certain nefarious elements to introduce ideas of uncertainty into the public scientific discourse, and act as if it's something new; that because the science on some subject can't be 100% conclusive, that because it is necessarily uncertain, then it's conclusions can't be trusted. This is bad for everyone, and I don't think an increase in government grants is worth it.

>Why is he special?
bcoz he is the director of an observatory,
and you're not

>bcoz he is the director of an observatory,

Why is the the director of an observatory?

>not a real scientist
He is but most of his work is average stuff, lots of people have publications such as these.
arxiv.org/find/astro-ph/1/au: Tyson_N/0/1/0/all/0/1
He got popular on TV somehow and that's his main job because it pays a lot compared to what he had before. Anyone would do what he's doing right now.

He's large and in charge, by which I mean he could wipe the floor with you. Me too, for that matter. Women know a big guy can protect them, so he gets the chicks which gives him confidence and then he goes and pimps science.

Also, being a protege of Carl Sagan gives you a stripe or two.

>who is
WHO IS LIVELIHOOD
you're black, right?

you started off well, but then devolved into incoherent rambling and grammatical errors

>I've never decided to check out Tyson's doctoral dissertation for curiosity's sake while I was studying the academic papers of other Columbia physicists for my own postgraduate research.

You don't perceive him as particularly intelligent because you've never been in a position to see him doing actual astrophysics in academic formats instead of hyping popsci in formats intended for mass consumption.

>public scientific discourse

There is no public scientific discourse, there's a public access to scientific information and just try and stop us from using logical fallacies to bend your data to the whims of our perceptual narratives, you egghead motherfuckers.

you have never seen cosmos have you?

>Being this persnickety.
Terminal autism detected.

Same thing with Steven hawking. People think that he does physics in his head when in reality he has a calculator on his computer.

NDT is one of the great stand up comedians of our time. He's very knowledgeable of astrophysics and can hold a conversation. When he gets out of his area of expertise, he's no one special. For that you need people who can apply logic in a deep way to any situation, like the four horsemen (although Dawkins needs to settle the fuck down).

he isn't, he just works in divulgation so he's on the public spotlight constantly

>scientist
he's a doctorate, not a scientist.
he doesn't do research anymore.

He's a puppet pushed by leftist politicians to further their grasp on people. They've made forays into areas usually dominated by right-thinking and ideas with people like Tyson and "le epic Bill Nye". Neither Nye nor Tyson are actual scientists, the only purpose they serve is to make people feel bad for not thinking like they do and going on kids shows to teach them how to check the democrat box on their ballots.