For me it is the mashed potatoes. The best part of Thanksgiving dinner

For me it is the mashed potatoes. The best part of Thanksgiving dinner.

Only if they are 2:1 potato to butter.

MOVE OUT OF THE WAY GEEZER

Man like 90% of people I know completely fuck the mashed potatoes with garlic.

Apparently my family is weird because we do buttermilk mashed potatoes and I don't know if anyone else does.

Potato >>> sweet potato

Garlic mashed potatoes with Thanksgiving sounds awful. I only get those with like a steak or something.

>learn how to make mashed potatoes by heart
>think that I can just swap out regular potatoes with sweet potatoes
>fucking butter and cream cheese and milk added
>this tastes odd
>ask about it on Veeky Forums
>get laughed into oblivion
>ohshit what I'd do wrong

According to this board back in 2010 or 2011 (don't remember) you're not really supposed to add anything to them, just mash them up?

ham is best

Crown roast is better.

how does that taste? any noticeable difference? sounds good

Not him, but modern store bought buttermilk is shit. You could do better to add a bit of sour cream instead.

Thanksgiving is one of like 3 holidays where stuffing/dressing is acceptable, and that's my favorite dish of the entire meal. Ham is also up there. Also, I know it's OMGINSTAGRAMWORTHY shitty trendy, but putting some stuffing in a waffle iron instead of baking it is pretty great, would highly recommend if you have a waffle iron handy. Just plop some in, and cook like you would a normal waffle.

They're really good as just a puree with either sweet spices (cinnamon, cardamom...) or salt and pepper.

That being said, I'm pretty sure you can still rich 'em up with some cream and shit.

They tasted weird as fuck when I made them. Like it wasn't awful, but it was missing something and my palette is garbage so I have no idea what it needed. I did add salt cause I always do that with regular potatoes.

but now that you mention it, if I had put cinnamon or something in there it'd probably be pretty good. I should just stop being a retard and use a recipe now that I know that you can't just swap potatoes and get the same results.

>tfw my grandma died a few years ago
>she made the best potatoes and nobody else in the family can replicate them

Fuck.

add some orange juice

i dont like you. you saw that in a magazine, wanted it, but have to put on a facade, like we shouldnt like that, just so youd feel cool. Fuck you, i hope your parents die tommorrow and you are left with nothing.

I add cinnamon, nutmeg and brown sugar to mashed sweet potatoes. Savoury sweet potatoes seems weird to me.

omg wow thats crazy wow

>Savoury sweet potatoes
Yeah, I'm not a fan.

Da faq? You playing me?

We've never had mashed potatoes during thanksgiving, only our relatives did. I hate my mother for only making corn pudding and bland-ass mac and cheese. I spruced the latter up with muenster and it was to die for.

by weight or by volume?

>corn pudding and mac n cheese
your mother sounds like an alcoholic.

That being said, she's probsbly an alcoholic.

I personally prefer the McChicken

I PREFER THE MEAT PRODUCTS.

Am I the only one that likes the classic, shitty, made from canned crap (and it has to be canned, frozen green beans have a rubbery texture that ruins it) green bean casserole?

Probably. That stuff is awful. Canned green beans are seriously overcooked as part of the canning process and have this awful dark green color. And don't get me started on the "cream of mushroom" soup.

Love that shit too, user.
Try it with broccoli in it instead of green beans mmmmmm

Stuffing, or the Broccoli Casserole my dad makes, which is sex in my mouth

For me it's the roasted brussels sprouts. Every year I try something different. This year it's a bacon, red wine, and mustard glaze.

1. honey baked ham
2. mashed or funeral style potatoes
3. stuffing
4. pumpkin pie
5. turkey with cranberry

I saw it on diner's drive-ins and dives.

When I have kids, I want to teach them my recipes but change some things around so they'll never be able to make them as good as daddy does

>mother in law insists on making sweet potato cranberry relish every thanksgiving
>it is the nastiest god damn shit, no one but her and one sister in law seem to enjoy it
>always tons left over

Is mashed potatoes compulsory? I was thinking of roasting mine and having sweet potato mash instead.

You could do that just fine

It's common but I certainly wouldn't call it compulsory. My family does roasted potatoes and mashed sweet potatoes.

that sounds fucking gross. Tell that bitch make some normal cranberry sauce

>I'm Veeky Forums famous
>n-no it's one of the less trafficked boards

On the one hand, that sounds like a Sandra Lee recipe

On the other hand, I'm almost tempted to just say to let them have it if they enjoy it

Pillowy mounds of mashed potatoes

Why are sweet potatoes so disgusting lads

Anyone know how to make mashed sweet potatoes as good as Boston Markets?

I really like popovers for Thanksgiving. You can fill them with turkey and mashed potatoes to for something like a leftovers sandwich, except the turkey wont be dry.

Hello, darkness, my old friend

Cooked in rc cola

Mashed potatoes suck ass compared to the God King Emperor of sides.

THE STUFF
H
E

S
T
U
F
F

I like them with so much garlic it burns your mouth

my nig

non can compete

Yukon Gold makes the superior mashed potato

LEWD!

I always enjoy cooking sprouts, probably my favorite thing to prepare for at Christmas.

Nope I like it too

Fuck yourself senpai

I agree. I generally don't like thanksgiving food or the majority of my family's cooking so I always have a disproportionate amount of mashed potatoes on my plate as its the least likely thing to get fucked up.

Seriously though i don't like thanksgiving at all.