I've read the Odyssey, the Iliad, the Aeneid, the Metamorphoses, Arabian Nights, Romance of the Three Kingdoms...

I've read the Odyssey, the Iliad, the Aeneid, the Metamorphoses, Arabian Nights, Romance of the Three Kingdoms, Journey to the West, the Bible, and Dante's Divine Commedy. Where do I go from here?

Other urls found in this thread:

sacred-texts.com/pac/index.htm
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Start writing your own shit.

Do you want to read more epic poetry or what? There is plenty of minor stuff that you haven't read.

If you've read all those books, you would have better instincts than to be clueless.

Fail.

It seems you have Started with the Greeks but didn't Resume with the Romans.

>Iliad Odyssey
>started with the Greeks

>Divine CoMMedy
Italian Spotted

Have you read Tasso and Ariosto? Chaucer, Spenser and Milton are also major epic poets.

It's all a game, user. The world is in your head, and literature is in your head too. So read whatever you find beautiful, frightening, uplifting, or sad! The only truth is how you feel right now in the present moment!

kek, I wrote La Divina Commedia at first, but I didn't want to sound pretentious. Also read Paradise Lost and Canterbury Tales. I'll look into The Faerie Queene.

Nigga how did you miss greek tragedy

Also, chaucer would be the next logical step

The Gita and Hindu literature in general

You'll see that the Faerie Queene is slightly odd at first. It is at the same time a chivalry poem, a political allegory and an ethical allegory about a quest for virtue. It's pretty impressive how the three overlap.

Some Norse Sagas and Beowulf maybe? Omar Khayyam and Rumi also. Anyone here read the Kalevala? Thinking about reading it soon myself

You missed some fun Latin stuff. I personally love the Pharsalia and the Thebaid.

Moby-Dick -- the American Epic.

Apart for the obvious ones i think you have missed the historical importance of Don Quixote

Icelandic sagas

Is that religion I smell?

Top 3?

im sure with that big jewish nose of yours you can smell all kinds of stuff rick

Top three of the ones I listed in the OP or top three in general?

from the OP

1. Dante's Divine Comedy
2. Romance of the Three Kingdoms
3. Arabian Nights

(Bible is more important to read than any of these btw with maybe the Odyssey or Rot3K following)

Paradise Lost.
The Nibelungenlied and the Poetic Edda.
Beowulf.
The Kojiki, Nihongi and Fudoki.
Faust.

Just started the Iliad, only just finished book 4. I've heard about how hard it is and I read a short thing of background about the characters and gods. I was apprehensive but started, ready to fail. It's fucking super easy. are all the important epics this easy if I just read for 30 minutes to get background that the citizens of the time would have known? Reading Fitzgerald translation by the way.

How about Moby Dick.

The greeks are easy.

Milton and Dostoevsky, for example, are much harder to tackle. Specially Milton. But once you get in the zone while reading them, man, are they fantastic. Specially Milton.

If I didn't already have a waifu, I'd make Milton's Satan my husbando.

You just want fiction? Read all the Greek tragedies, Aristophanes, Don Quixote, Gulliver's Travels, Wordsworth's The Prelude, Pride and Prejudice, HuckFinn, War and Peace, The Red and the Black, Dubliners, Heart of Darkness, The Karamazov Brothers, Melville's short stories, The Europeans, O'Connor's short stories, FitzGerald's Rubaiyat, Remembrance of Things Past, Dune, The Lord of the Rings, Watchmen, Lolita, Catch-22, Infinite Jest, The Great Gatsby, and A Confederacy of Dunces.

Forgot to add: Blood Meridian, Death in Venice, Shakespeare's plays, Mrs. Dalloway, and Heart of Darkness

To be honest, these are all books on my bookshelf.

Morte d'Arthur

Graduate middle school.

Alternatively: resume with the Romans.

I've always found Maori myths interesting. Since the people live on tiny islands in the middle of a vast sea, there's this feeling of venturing out into the great unknown through the few stories I've read from them. Kinda reminds me of modern sci-fi like Star Trek or something.

>homer wuz romanz!

Where can one read that?

I just look up random stories on the internet, like on the sacred texts website (really cool place).

sacred-texts.com/pac/index.htm

Even though it's greatly incomplete, I would suggest to read the Satyricon by Petronius. GOAT latin writer.
Also Lucretius' De Rerum Natura

Nord shit. Völsunga saga and the Edda for starters.

Also the Mahabharata is quite fun.

The faerie queen is outrageously good. You should read the Roman literature.

Thanks! Is there anything in particular you enjoyed from that site?

Why not the raunchy, mystical Apuleius's Golden Ass? Per asspera ad asstra, the Romans used to say in appreciation of this famous work.

Livy
Herodotus
Polybius
Plutarch
Arrian
Plato
Xenophon
Gilgamesh
Outlaws of the Marsh
A Dream of Red Chambers
The Prose Edda
Beowulf
The Nibelungenlied
The Volsungs
The Saga of Burnt Njal
Egil's Saga
The Prose Edda
The Tale of the Heike
This shit
This
This

I don't recall any specific standout stories haha. Been a while since I read anything on there t.b.h.