What is the best vegetable and why is it the humble sweet potato...

What is the best vegetable and why is it the humble sweet potato? You can do anything to them and they're almost impossible to ruin, and taste fantastic all the time.

The only time I've ever had a bad one is in a cafe in England, I ordered SP croquettes and they were garbage. But literally every other time, be it fries, mash, baked, roasted curried, in soup etc they are always great.

Orange > Purple/white

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Okinawa_diet
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I think they're energy dense and easy to grow, probably the best in terms of that, really helps out the 3rd world. I won't lie, cook them in my pressure cooker, and they're nice and soft, so tasty. They only take 18minutes or so to cook under pressure.

>cook them in my pressure cooker,
You don't need a pressure cooker for sweet potatoes... A pot with a bit water to steam them.. add ginger and chilli

Can anyone offer some sweet potato recipes? My old man been suffering from diabeetus and is taking a sweet potato diet, doesn't seem to increase his sugar levels.

I can't eat more than 200g, its too sweet. I mostly make a mash out of them and mix it with potato, cauliflower and carrots.

SWEET POTATOES CAN FUCK THEMSELVES

STARCHY YET SWEET MAKE UP YOUR MIND REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Calm down ya dingus

Roast at 425f/225c until soft.
Remove flesh from jackets.
Season with salt, pepper, nutmeg, and cinnamon to taste.
Add a few teaspoons of brown sugar.
Add some butter/ shortening/ oil
Mash. Serve as a puree, or bake with a crumb topping for a nice side dish to pass around.

>What is the best vegetable
ONIONS, STOP ASKING

>add sugar to something that's naturally sweet

fucking americans *shaking my head*

OBSESSED

They literally add sugar to everything. Sometimes I make the mistake of accidentally following an American recipe, and I always know when I've done it because the dish is disgustingly sweet.

WITH SUGAR

That was probably a Brit, IMHO. I've never heard an American use the term "jacket" to refer to the skin of a potato whereas it's very common in Britville.

We don't use shortening in Britain, it was definitely an American.

We use Gas Mark in Britain.

No we don't, you fucking idiot. I've literally never seen an oven that used gas marks in my life.

Never fucking reply to me again you cunt.

fight me irl m8 im well fit irl

I love me some sweet potato mash.
Cut into chunks, boil until soft, drain, add some butter and mash it together with some cream, salt, pepper and a splash of lime to balance the sweetness.
Use a hand mixer for smooth creamy mash, potato masher for more chunky.
Any leftovers make a good base for a kickass soup.

Normal potatoes are objectively better than sweet potatoes.

Sweet potatoes are too much of a one trick pony.

>anything but the classic potato
>the best
objectively wrong.

literally.

Fuck this pisses me off so much in my college dining hall, they always serve sweet potatoes covered in brown sugar...

Regular potatoes are literally tasteless and yet far less healthy than sweet potatoes

t. retard

>far less healthy than sweet potatoes

Although the Irish peasant not only survived, but thrived, on a diet almost exclusively made up of potatoes until the famine in the 1840's.

Essentially, you sir, are completely fos.

I just bought five of these things because they were 24 cents a pound. Did I fuck up? At least it wasn't a big investment.
What now? Bake them? Boil them? Do I have to peel them first? The skins look a little nasty, and every damn one was misshapen.
I went for the bigger/fatter ones in an attempt to get all the same size. Never cooked them before, any advice?

>Regular potatoes are literally tasteless

That's what makes them so flexible & able to be prepared in so many different ways.

Also, if you find them honestly tasteless then you ought to quit smoking.

You can cook them any number of ways. Baked, boiled, made into soup, fried, stir-fry, you name it.

>>peel them
Like a regular potato that's a matter of personal preference. I don't peel them if I'm making fries or baking them. I do peel them if I'm using them in a soup.

>>advice
They're a lot harder than a normal potato, so be careful when you go to cut them up.

I always keep things simple, so no blender soups, pies, or casserole for me. Also no deep frying in my house.
So I guess I would be willing to either bake them, boil & mash, or make wedges/oven fries.
I was under the impression the skin on these was pretty bad, but maybe not?
The only time I've had them before is sweet potato fries at a few restaurants, they were good but not great. And the Thanksgiving dish, you know the one with a fuckton of those little marshmallows and what seems like a lot of butter and brown sugar.
I'm leaning towards oven baked wedges, but my normal savory/salty/spicy seasoning is a no-go? How to season sweet potato wedges? Butter and brown sugar? Or maybe just salt and make a dip of some kind?

>>Simple
Blender soups and deep frying are both pretty fucking simple user. You could do either and be done cleaning up in less time than it would take to cook wedges in the oven.

But anyway, you can go savory or you can go sweet. It's up to you. Personally I prefer to go the savory route. I find the baked-sweet-potato-with-marshmallows to be overly sweet. The same sort of seasoning you'd use for normal potato wedges works just fine on sweet potatoes. Salt or seasoned salt is great. They're good with dips too.

and the japanese thrived on fucking rice, that doesn't mean it's a nutritionally efficient food. Go look at the actual scientific data of the nutrients in sweet potatoes versus the same amount in weight of any other type of potato.

user, you can survive just fine on a diet consisting literally of only mashed potatoes

that doesn't mean it's healthier than any other food.

They didn't just "survive." They had 8-12 healthy, strong, kids. They were Catholic, after all.

Not only that, but I didn't say they were "healthier." I was responding to a post where it was falsely claimed that regular potatoes were unhealthy.

go back and read that post, they never claimed regular potatoes were unhealthy, they were making a comparison

i think you are right. also i read that it made the biggest chunk of the diet of old people in okinawa who are all living for a long time. they mostly eat vegetables and most of em are sweet potatoes . think i will start to the same.

Literally sitting at home dying of laughter.
I'm the one who wrote that suggestion about the sweet potatoes.
I am American, but my mum's family is all British which is why I called them jackets I suspect.
As for the sugar, I despise the American tradition of adding too much sugar, I literally just meant a few teaspoons for a whole pan of it...
A little sugar can act like salt in certain dishes, by bringing out the natural flavor in foods.
A happy thanksgiving to all my fellow residents of Trumpland

> also i read that it made the biggest chunk of the diet of old people in okinawa who are all living for a long time. they mostly eat vegetables and most of em are sweet potatoes

This is an interesting fact if true. I've always been keen to sweet potatoes after discovering them in my 20s after having only eaten regular potatoes in a variety of ways and I've gotta say I'd never go back. Taste wise sweet potatoes always win and after reading about the nutritional values compared to regular potatoes they are clearly superior.

I'm gonna buy a roasting oven thing for them and just buy bulk bags, because I could seriously eat them for every meal.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Okinawa_diet

Brb going on Okinawan Diet.

i grow purple ones in my backyard. got a 20lb harvest about 3 months ago. very sweet.

Did they turn out perfectly purple all over, or callus-filled??

For the people defending sweet potato dishes, can you please post a few pictures?
I want to see what a GOOD sweet potato recipe looks like. But it seems like nobody has one? I now its gay, but a picture says a thousand words. Convince me?

The bigger ones were nearly perfect inside and out. Small ones were a big ugly. Not sure what you mean by callus-filled though.

do you cure them? The only reason I haven't started trying to grow any kind of sweet potato yet is because they need to be cured for a while, is that true or you can you just cook them right after they're good to pull?

Or is it different for the okinawa SPs? I've never come across them before but the ability to grow them at home would be fantastic.

So how do they taste?
I've never had one. Do they literally taste of potato, but sweet? Like a banana?

They are basically tasteless amd have a shitty dry texture if you dont add ung-dly amounts of butter to it

>As for the sugar, I despise the American tradition of adding too much sugar, I literally just meant a few teaspoons for a whole pan of it...
>just meant a few teaspoons for a whole pan of it
>teaspoons (plural)
One teaspoon for a pan would be too much.
They already taste like candy when I just boil them with no seasonning at all.

I "cure" them by leaving them in a mostly covered cardboard box for like 2 weeks. I live in Florida though so humidity is usually high year round. But yes, all sweet potatoes need some sort of curing. Tried one after only 3 days of curing and it tasted like shit.

roast them for 3+ hours at 400F ( turn every hour or so ) until the sugars start oozing out - like caramel

let cool and eat half of one at a meal

>You can do anything to them

Sweet potatoes are pretty damn versatile. I never thought about making croquettes out of them though. Might try that now.

teach me your ways user. leave sweet potato whole? how much ginger? what kind of chili? and various other method questions

what do you do with the other half?

Sweet potatoes are delicious and good for you. I always throw in microwave for 8 minutes. Make sure to poke holes with a fork first. Cut open halfway. Add some coconut oil, cinnamon, little salt, and it's almost tastes like a dessert.

try your hand at sweet potato wedges. cut into wedge shape, oil them up and roast them, turnthem, cook them until they're th way you want. so yummy. I broil them for a minute to get them crispy

>8 minutes

I've always done 6 and never have had a problem with it being underdone. Have fun with those extra 2 minutes

Because everyone's personal taste, not to mention microwave and power setting are the same, right?

Is there a way to make yams for thanks giving that doesn't involve marshmallows or sugar?

I feel bad for people that don't have a full-power microwave.

sweet potatoes taste bad though, it's TOO sweet.

I wanted to give this shit a shot. Anyone try it, baked?

they get soggy too easily

They won't be as good as regular french fries but personally I like the taste of sweet potatoes so much that these are great. I'm gonna buy 10 lbs today (Thanksgiving extreme discount) and make fries like every day

what are some good recipes for thanksgiving that doesnt involve sugar or mashshits

perfect with yoghurt+garlic

What's the best topping or sauce for a whole-baked sweetpotato?
Also, whats the proper way to season a baked sweetpotato?

I have baked sweet potato fries all the time.

Make sure you coat them in oil and add whatever seasoning you want before baking for 20-25 minutes. That's the base of it anyway. I've personally found that the best way to make them crispy is to cut them half an inch thick and to spread them on a single evenly spaced layer on the baking sheet.

But if that doesn't work for you, you can also try:
-Soaking them for 40 minutes and dry before baking
-Blanching for five minutes them instead of above
-Coating them in cornflour as well as the other seasoning

Salt and pepper. A dab of butter. If you're under 12, a light drizzle of maple syrup.

That's a yam, OP, not a sweet potato.

Best seasoning is salt, black pepper and dried rosemary. If you want a spicy sweetpotato just default to paprika.
As far as toppings go, adding a little grated parmesan to the potato a few minutes before finishing is nice, or just add a dollop of cottage or goats cheese to it after it's baked.

Just butter.

Similar to carrot sort of, but sweeter.

Well, cooked carrot like in a soufflé sort of, or pumpkin. It's that sort of flavor.

I don't even season whole-baked sweet potatoes. They are pretty flavorful by themselves.

WRONG

>So how do they taste?
Awesome.

Sweet potatoes are great, I always have a few on hand lately. I just wash them, stab the shit out of them with a fork, and wrap them in a moist paper towel. Microwave for 5 and up to ten minutes depending on size. When they're soft, they're done. Add butter or whatever you like. Good stuff.