I went to my first trig lecture today; I hardly understood anything. How fucked am I?

I went to my first trig lecture today; I hardly understood anything. How fucked am I?

>How fucked am I?

Hypotenuse

>How fucked am I?

Khan academy or other resources until you understand and catch up and you'll be fine.

If you don't start doing it immediately you're going to be completely fucked over and might as well drop out right away.

At some point shit becomes so convoluted that you can't understand novel concepts while they are presented to you in real time. How easy would uni be otherwise?

>trig

I'm pretty sure that this website is 18+

do you want a bit of recap user ?

not fucked at all

just change your mindset. dont be intimidated but be open to new information even when you dont fully understand it

If you look closely, 2hus form right-angled triangles.

Trig is hard. Just work hard enough to get a B. You'll understand it more as you go on cuz u have to use it again in pre calc and calc.
Also u have to be 18 to post on here.

bro I'm in the same boat going for dat engineering degree for sic moola haha. these fuckers want me to learn math lol. bro just remember SOH CAH TOA lol stupid professors want to me "understand" what they're teaching me...lol I'm just like BRO just tell me what to do xD

I ended up taking trig at a community college before I transferred to a university. Seems like a lot of the people in there weren't necessarily stupid, but they lacked the foundations in algebra to be able to do well. Brushing up on some prerequisite material might be all you need.

Memorize the unit circle, understand how all the trig functions work and inverse functions work, and be able to visualize them on a graph is my advice op

Not as fucked as if you came from your final trig lecture having not understood anything.

>Memorize the unit circle
The worst advice ever.

Instead, learn how to graph in radians and know what a reference angle is. Once you do that enough, you can basically compute the trig functions of anything that shitty circle has and doesn't have.

I understand, user. Real numbers really dont make an ounce of sense.
Luckily, I know of a video series that will definitely help you to understand trigonometry!

Look up Wildberger Rational Trigonometry today!

>How fucked am I?
A pregg0r elephant is virgin by comparison.

IDK but your pretty cute, I'd fuck you. But please don't bite with out asking first though.

The problem is that real numbers were invented out of convenience. It is so convenient to imagine that our numbers don't have 'gaps' and therefore there is no equation we can't solve. This implies that rational algebra, rational geometry and everything else using only rationals will be harder. If it was easier then mathematicians would have chosen that path, as we always choose the path of less resistance and for us this was inventing real numbers.

I haven't seen his entire series but I watched the first like 5 episodes of his series and I can already tell you that it is much harder than a typical trig class in high school. You need so much intuition to even understand his fundamental theorems that it is crazy.

If OP can't into real (easy) trigonometry then he will never be able to understand rational trigonometry.

You should eventually commit it to memory so you don't need to do any extra computations say on an exam or in higher math. But yes, it's good to understand where things come from on the unit circle, not just memorize it.

Algebra isn't really a trig foundation. All concepts IIRC from trig were newly introduced. Algebra became more relevant to pre calc and calc

What is there to get about trig? The only hard part is knowing the identities by heart, but everything else is straightforward.

You're fine, I'm a third year mechanical engineering student and I don't have the basics like csc, sec, or cot and the fundamental triangles memorized.

Acutely.

I don't get Wildberger. He hates Reals that much yet he accepts irrational numbers just fine. I think he rejects Set Theory and Infinity too.

JUST.

> he accepts irrational numbers just fine
nope
> I think he rejects Set Theory
kinda
> Infinity
yeah

>americans do trigonometry in college

I did trig freshman year, 9th grade

>I don't use trigonometry in college
how the hell did you pass CM and DEs?

I didn't go to freshman year, then dropped out in the middle of basic geometry, then grew up and started going to college in my 30's.

Was v. excite to find out what the sin and cos buttons on my calculator do, after a lifetime of curiosity.

>not also wondering about tan and its odd name

Over here trigonometry is basically assumed knowledge as basic as arithmetic. It's not about use of trigonometry, it's the fact that you haven't learnt it in high school.

In that case, I learnt it in 9th grade (1st year of HS) but the standard is 10th grade to learn stuff past SOH CAH TOA

>tfw my community college starts at algebra
good thing I skipped to calc

bump for 2hu