Is getting a biology degree literately 100% memorization?

Is getting a biology degree literately 100% memorization?

Do biologists even need to be capable of critical thought that say a mathematician would need?

Other urls found in this thread:

biology.missouri.edu/undergraduate-studies/program-of-study/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathematical_and_theoretical_biology
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>Is getting a biology degree literately 100% memorization?
illeterately? yes

>Do biologists even need to be capable of critical thought that say a mathematician would need?
clearly no

no

yes

maybe

maybe

Please explain.

No it's not 100% memorization.

Generally entry level bio courses focus largely on Taxonomy, and anatomy, which is a large chunk of information that needs to be memorized, and takes quite some time to do.

Once you get past that though, the field opens up quite a bit. You can use as much math, or as little math as you want.

Is this thread residual mathfag butthurt from other threads? Christ, how fragile do you have to be to make a thread because an anonymous person disagreed with you online?

Senior bio here
No its not 100 memorization
Once you pass the intro course (ie: bio 1&2 microbiology and gen chemestry) it's pretty hard.
The idea is that there is so much to know but at the end they test your understanding and your ability to put Shit into application.
The thing also is that bio is a science of integration, meaning you need to have a solid understanding of all the other science, Chem math physic ( lol when I took physics the ta use to tell me how stupid and arrogant the engineer where and that they almost always did worse than pre med) and some other psych philosophy ethic humanities and sociology.
8/10 would recommend

I'm doubtful that biology majors take anything last babby level math and physics

>Is getting a biology degree literately 100% memorization?

depends, if it's evolutionary/ecology based then most likely yes. Developmental, cellular, and molecular bio still has a bunch of memorization but it won't be enough, especially if you go into genetics

>Do biologists even need to be capable of critical thought that say a mathematician would need

again depends on what you go into

nice meme

look at the curriculum for mizzou: biology.missouri.edu/undergraduate-studies/program-of-study/

the hardest thing is literally orgo II and highest math is calc I LOLOLOL

all else is memorization courses with 'here complete this work sheet' for lab courses

50k debt

cringe

this

Different schools are better

Mizzou is shit

My bio program requires Cal 3, stats, and Orgo is the easiest chemistry offered.

Sure thing

It's how it is

I'm dual majoring with chemistry anyway so I don't worry about what biology requires.

>You can use as much math, or as little math as you want.

As much math as you want? You mean I can go in as pure math-bio major and take only math based bio classes?

Much of it is.

Yes, many biological pathways are discovered by relation and deduction. Certain elements of evolutionary biology and similar disciplines strongly depend of reasoning.

"All science is either physics or stamp collecting."

Physics is literally just stamp collecting as well if you know math.

Bio majors generally take the back-alley whore version of physics that barely even mentions calc. Determining the right application for a topic in bio is 90% memorizing the mundane details and 10% common sense, so I can see why you consider that the hardest part.

Re-read your post. Do you think you come across as intelligent?

>hurr I'm trying to come across as intelligent in the posts I make, look at me
come across as clearly communicating what you want to say in the context of the culture you're in

like this: fuck off

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathematical_and_theoretical_biology

nigger, this isn't quora or whatever fag site you visit

solving systems of equations and DEs is applied math, and it isn't surprising at all that applied math can be applicable to some science
nothing here suggest any pure math is useful or applicable in this context

dude this meme is so funny bro

Looks like I struck a nerve.
The quality of this site depends on the quality of the posts. Low quality posts (like yours) is why Veeky Forums isn't that great.

You don't know as much about math as you think you do.

this isn't reddit, quora, tumblr, or whatever internet hugbox you came from
you're an insufferable petulant retard, and this isn't the kind of website for someone like you.

enlighten me. all I see here is classical applied math

Good to know.

Knot theory has applications to biology.

like?

google

combinatorics is arguably not a pure math subject, at least in the classical sense. much less when you're just talking about a single topic of it

it's nice that topological invariants have been found in DNA, but this is hardly something "as deep as you want", especially when it's a single object being studied

>"as deep as you want"
I never said anything like this. I'm not the person you originally replied to.

Does knot theory have something to do with furries?

>combinatorics is arguably not a pure math subject
Topology is usually considered to be a pure subject.

I wouldn't know, I don't know knot theory. Color me convinced.

My real argument was against the "as deep as you want" thing. But it's nice to know that science consumes some math, even if it's just a bit.

Yes.

microbio major at a UC, I need to take calc III and biochem series

Ahahhahahha sure bud,
> muh calc 1 is not even real math
How autistic are you ?
Do you really really I or the real world care about your uppity retard ass think

Most accurate post. To understand biological systems you just have to memorize a lot of things. That's just how it is. In order to uncover all of these pathways though you definitely need logical reasoning. That said, biology is a pretty big field.
People working with protein structure prediction or NMR spectroscopy etc. probably use quite a chunk of math.

12 year olds can learn calc 1. Its not a hard course.

Two things:

You really shouldn't just think of things in terms of undergrad majors if you're thinking of actually developing a full career in the sciences.

With that said, logically analyzing biological systems requires a lot of knowledge and much of that knowledge can generally only be gained as rote memorization, as much of it doesn't seem intuitive to a beginner. Of course biologists think critically, but to get to the point where you can manipulate complex systems in your head you need to spend a lot of time getting to know those systems in detail so you can feel comfortable with them. So yes, a biology undergrad degree will have more rote memorization than a pure math undergraduate degree, but it's not a contest, and if you just pick your major based on what's 'hard' then you will probably not be very happy. People who pick biology as a career don't pick it because it's easy (memorizing things isn't really 'easy' if you're not interested) they pick it because they're legitimately interested in biology.