Why does this Mathematics major require so few classes? Assuming these classes are all 4 credits each...

Why does this Mathematics major require so few classes? Assuming these classes are all 4 credits each. Its only like 80 credits. Does that mean I take take like 40 credits of Computer Science if I would like?

umb.edu/academics/csm/mathematics/ug/mathematics_bs

Are the remaining credits just Free Electives?

You have to take your general classes, as well as a few high level math electives. Almost all college majors are around 100 credits.

Why don't they list them then?

>intro to real analysis in your 8th semester
jesus fucking christ, this program is trash
you can't do shit without analysis, that means no ODEs, no geometry, no probability, no measure theory, no linear/convex optimization, no further analysis (on manifolds, complex), list goes on, seriously what the fuck?

how many classes do you think will be free electives?

Wow. I can tell you right now that this school has never sent a student to a top math PhD program.

>Forcing math majors to take baby Calc/linear algebra before learning proofs
>Forcing math majors to take diff eqs and discrete math (which are probably watered down for non-math majors) before analysis and algebra

>four years to learn analysis
top kek

What the fuck. At my uni intro to analysis in done in the first semester of the second year, and you're required to have at least 2 more courses on real analysis, plus at least one on complex. And that's just for beginning in analysis.

If I take thid program is it pretty much just gonna be easy mode lol?

>linear algebra term 2
>intro to proofs term 3
wtf

look at any top 20~ math program (check out UofT math [1,2,3,4]57 because their course outlines are good)..first 2-4 terms are intro analysis + rigorous linear algebra, then real (+ sometimes complex) analysis for a term or two, then [functional, measure, lebesgue, fourier] analysis and [abstract algebra, algebraic geometry, stats, combinatorics + optimization] concurrent to the analysis courses over the last 2 years

More like be forced to take a bunch of engineering tier math without even doing engineering. It's just a bad program.

That looks normal - Math 280 - could be done in summer and for fall you could take analysis/algebra at the same time.

I mean calc3/ode/linear/discrete can all be taken at once if you could handle the work.

No one answered me about what the remaining classes will be. Will there be several free electives im guessing? Assuming the major is 120 credits...

Its not like I cant take the classes in a better order

Yeah it sucks. When you're at a shit school you have to teach yourself a lot of shit in order to not be light years behind for grad school. These small schools do send people to decent grad schools like Waterloo and U of T but you have to be prepared to become ass blasted upon arrival. So our professors warn.

My first semester is Calc 1, "Superior Algebra" (It's not in english but it translates into that, basically intro to set theory), Modern Geometry and Analitical Geometry.
How fucked is this for a first semester?

Dont forget gen ed.

Because its a meme school

how much do you think will be gen ed versus free electives? Cause at Umass lowell maths theres like 6-7 free electives so i figured this would be similar. Just trying study maths, take a bunch of computers science classes, learn coding on my own and be a soft dev when i graduate

I did undergrad and grad at McGill and yeah, can confirm, kids from random ass noname schools get raped in grad level classes

>tfw many upper year math courses at Western are cancelled because of low enrollment
>no choice but to teach myself or be lazy

definitely teach yourself then.
a lot of the courses at mcgill has their outlines up online with the topic list and textbook
you might want to follow it if you're interested.
you can take old exams as well.
it's a useful learning tool. I self-taught analysis 4 before taking the course so I could dedicate more time to a research project.

Thanks, our advanced discrete math was cancelled but your Math 363 might be what I was looking for

be careful, MATH363 is an Engineering class.
Are you a math major?

Imagine telling people you study in Massachusetts, then watching their disappointment when you mention you're at UMB.

Nope minor but I see there's Math 340 as well. Maybe that'll be better

lol no worries ill be happy just to graduate

OP make sure to take this class - the most important job wise - MATH 425 - Numerical Analysis
Also take these:
MATH 346 - Prob And Stats II
MATH 350 - Applied Partial Differential Equations
MATH 358 - An Introduction to Complex Analysis
MATH 458 - Theory of Numbers

Slim pickings in the math department LOL. I would make sure to take either comp sci or electrical engineering courses depending on if you like software or hardware. Make sure you can code well in Matlab and a regular like Python at this school.

Ok gotcha thanks a lot mate will save this...

you actually gave me advice unlike anybody else who posted in this thread

if it wasn't clear before, you're taking fucking intro to real analysis on your very last semester. that means NONE of your expected classes use analysis, it's a HUGE red flag, it's not about the order

modern geometry? what's that?
the rest is standard "math" for engineers, get good at it because you need to know how to do computations whoever you are

Cant I just take a couple analysis classes?

Most schools there is a solid 20-40 gen ed credits required. Granted if you take a full schedule all four years you could easily rack up more than 140 units by the time you graduate.

that is not a problem for undergrad
analysis/algebra are foundations but serve as primers for grad school
i went to a uc school and only a few undergrad classes required analysis/algebra
if his school is small they probably do not have the resources for more courses
or he could take grad classes if so inclined

Modern Geometry is euclidean geometry, basically it doubles as an intro to proofs, but it's mostly about Desargues, Ceva, Menelao, Pascal.
In my uni, taking Algebraic Geometry has some rather extencive requirements, and this is one of them.

Im not trying to go to grad school or be a mathematician. Im trying to get into software development