How in the fuck does a sperm fertilising an egg cause enough chain reaction divisions resulting in an embryo...

How in the fuck does a sperm fertilising an egg cause enough chain reaction divisions resulting in an embryo? Is the process behind this truly fully understood? I get the feeling it's not.

Other urls found in this thread:

khanacademy.org/science/biology/cellular-molecular-biology/mitosis/a/phases-of-mitosis
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Cell division
Not hard
Read about herpes too, which is a virus capable of injecting itself into the dna of a host

Chain reaction? It's not a chain reaction, it's cellular division, essentially the same process that occurs throughout your body every second.

Well, yeah, nothing seems hard when you have a middle school understanding.

You need to be at least 18 to post on Veeky Forums

I think he's asking how the egg "knows" it was fertilized and how it "knows" how many divisions to make and how to determine which cells differentiate intp what, and when.

It's an area of active research and while we know the general gist of which major genes are involved we're decades from a real thorough understanding.

Its pretty well understood. Not fully obviously, but maybe like 90-95%

>I think he's asking how the egg "knows" it was fertilized and how it "knows" how many divisions to make and how to determine which cells differentiate intp what, and when.
Yes thank you this is what I meant. What is the "guiding process" behind how certain cells form the heart and other cells form the liver etc. and how it "knows" to divide in such a way in the first place. I think people take cell division and genes for granted as the explanation.

cells dont "know", cells react, they're like machines.

OP please go to Sex Ed when you get into freshmen year, or at least pick up a biology book 101 on human reproduction

Have you tried reading a book?

Every cell has the genetic instructions for every part of the body inside it, but only certain instructions get followed by a certain cell based on chemical activation. Different parts of the zygote will have different chemical balances and thus react differently. This is the basis for all organogensis.

>Is the process behind this truly fully understood
Embriology is a first year subject in medschool and it uses the same literature for decades, there is nothing left without understanding its a dead field of study.

dumb down version
>sperm enters egg
>sperm starts to release specific chemicals
>egg starts responding to said chemicals
>process to multiply and divide begins to react on how cells are programmed

>What is the "guiding process" behind how certain cells form the heart and other cells form the liver etc.
find yourself a textbook on developmental biology and study early embryo development

short answer: it's a horribly complicated mess of axis-establishing signals from the mother that set up an initial axis in the embryo and then successive new axes set by the embryo itself that determine how cells differentiate

Using the same process as cancer. Ironic and apt no? We are the cancer on the planet.

It's called Mitosis

Here is a brief synopsis:
khanacademy.org/science/biology/cellular-molecular-biology/mitosis/a/phases-of-mitosis

All you need to know is that your body literally runs on chemicals and catalytic reactions.

DNA has to be transcripted into mRNA, then transported, then translated by RNA polymerase in the ribosome.

CRAWLING IN MY SKIN

And, how do instincts, i.e. being turned on by vaginas if you are a male, get coded into de DNA?

That puzzles me.

I don't think being turned on by vaginas is coded into your DNA, user

Ok, but why is being turned on by dicks and being an engineer encoded by the same gene?

That's what all viruses are...

Cell division you mongoloid.

Male development patterns established by presence of the SRY gene predispose the development of neural pathways that associate female stimuli with sexual arousal. You can also have arousal to male stimuli or both.