Jerusalem artichoke

Jerusalem artichoke co/ck/s, what to do with?

Just got a large bag of the buggers from some family, I have never cooked them. I have been told that boiling and then frying them is a good way to eat them. However, what should I pair them with? I have no idea of which type of cuisine uses these or what the flavour will be like. Has anybody got some suggestions as to how to cook them or what to eat them with?

They taste fantastic as a substitute for mashed potatoes. You basically make them the same way, peel, cook in salted water until tender, and puree in a food processor or whip with an electric mixer adding plenty of butter, a little cream, and salt and pepper. Goes great with seafood, fish, or poultry.
They also make a delicious soup.

Thanks, can I mash them like potatoes? Or is the blender really required?

Sure, you can just use a potato masher, it just won't produce as smooth of an end product. Sunchokes are more fiberous than potatoes, which is why people like to use an electric mixer or food processor, but it's not necessary.

if you have a garden bury a couple of them and you'll have them for free. They grow really easy

So true. They're basically a weed.

I just fry them desu.

They cook like potatoes. Get ready for the fart storm of a lifetime, bucko.

You can also chop em up and fryu em into something like an onion ring

>jerusalem

triggered

You mean topinambours?
Why would you call them that retarded name?

Saracen detected

either soup or cut them in half, put some harissa on them and put them in the oven, add a bit of lime when you take them out.

Get ready for the worst gas in your life. "... which way soever they be dressed and eaten, they stir and cause a filthy loathsome stinking wind within the body, thereby causing the belly to be pained and tormented, and are a meat more fit for swine than men."

That's ginger you fucking goy.

Once in my life I have been in true agony, and it was after eating 'jew 'chokes' au gratin.

(((artichokes)))

No thanks.

So the name of them fits perfectly.

IIRC, the first European to happen upon them was a Frenchman who spoke Nicard natively. He referred to them as "girasole artichokes." 'Girasole' means "sunflower" in Nicard and other languages and dialects of southern France as well as in Italian and Corsican (it's 'tournesole' in standard French). The plant has sunflower-like blooms and tastes faintly of artichoke, hence the name.

English settlers encountering the Nicard-speaking people eating them misheard "girasole" as "Jerusalem." It's similar to the tombstone for the guy who trained the camels for the failed American military experiment, the US Camel Corps. His name was Hadj Ali. His tombstone in the southwestern US, however, is engraved with "Hi Jolly" because English-speakers misheard his name.

Basically, jerusalem artichokes have about as much to do with Jews as a Syrian camelherd has to do with happy greetings.

That's convenient (((chef)))

I wonder (((who))) could be behind this fascinating post?

Just grate them raw and add them to salads instead of a being a faggot who has to cook everything. They're high in prebiotic fiber and very good for digestion before meals. Raw or cooked just eat the fuckers or send them to me you're probably fucking wasting them already.

>wasting them already.

This. My neighbors kill their dandelions and lambs quarter with poison, for christs sake.

Fwiw, we've sarted growing Jerusalem Artichoke in our garden.