My dad bought a 15 pound turkey for thanksgiving, but it was unfrozen and has been sitting in our fridge since saturday

My dad bought a 15 pound turkey for thanksgiving, but it was unfrozen and has been sitting in our fridge since saturday.

Is it going to spoil on us and give everyone food poisoning?

3 days for most stuff, once it has thawed. You might be fine.

It was thawed when we got it. It will have been 6 days since we got it by the time we're supposed to eat it

Pretty shady. I would be concerned. Look on the package.

It didn't come in a package. We got it fresh from a farmers market.

Is it being brined or not?

You should be able to tell if it's rancid before you cook it. I would be worried.

Your father is trying to kill the family, call the cops.

yes. Injection brined, but it's not brined yet

This is largely irrelevant. The fat will go bad first.

who cares? if you become deathly ill, get drunk and celebrate your release from this awful hellscape

It'll be fine, as long as it's been in the fridge all that time. It's only 3 days FFS.
The 3 hours or so cooking process will kill any bacteria anyway. Relax and fill your face.
Enjoy Thanksgiving, Amerifag, from a Britfag

Is it sealed in some skintight hermetically sealed container thingy? Probably won't be a problem unless you're a bitch.

I think the bigger question is how much of little bitch you are because you're so focused on being a little bitch. I ate seafood streetfood in S America because I am not a little bitch like you.

It's from saturday to thursday. 6 days

yes, but that seafood was kept cold for less than 2 days

Even if the bacteria die, you can still get food poisoning from toxins released as they kick the bucket

This tbqh

Britfag is trying to kill you, OP

The stuff bacteria shit out is what actually makes you sick

Yes, everyone will get food poisoning. It won't be because of bacteria or anything, it'll just be from the fat and skin going rancid.

RIP OP you faggot

I wouldn't cook it. You should just get another one. Emergency rooms suck on holidays.

Your dad is a fucking retard

You sound 12

Presumaby, if the turkey seller thought it ok to sell a turkey to your dad 6 days in advance, it's quite alright to do so because otherwise the turkey seller would soon go out of business.

Use your loafs, ameriturds. No wonder you voted for Drumpf if you're this dumb and uncritical.

Maybe in America you're FREE to sell spoiled meat

I thought you guys were rich because you were shrewd businesspeople.

I bought a frozen 12 pound turkey Saturday and put it in the fridge. It's about fully defrosted now. Should I be good Veeky Forums?

No you should kys fgt

pray tell us, how do edgelords cook thanksgiving dinner?

By murdering your parents, cooking them, and force feeding them to you.

Is there a fucking poultry shortage in America?
Why do you buy this shit so early?

*tips fedora*

It usually goes on sale well before Thanksgiving itself. Also, the turkeys are generally sold frozen. It takes a long time to properly and safely defrost a 15-lb turkey.

>Also, the turkeys are generally sold frozen.
for poor people maybe
go buy your meat from a proper butcher or farm

Sulking because you have to move into the whitehouse, eh, Barron.

No idea, I'm not aware what an edgelord is, nor am I American so likewise thanksgiving

t. some little bitch

While I agree that a butcher or farm-direct would be better, I was speaking in general terms. Most people buy frozen turkeys from the supermarket, and that necessitates buying them well before Thanksgiving itself.

who the fuck cares what some dumbass cityslicker does to spoil his food, i got his money and that's what counts.

You're in luck since it's a smaller bird you should be able to get one of the same size but get it today. Typically I don't count on anything with meat lasting more than 4 or 5 days, and a Thanksgiving turkey is not something you want to try to replace last minute.

>nobody ever has cooked a turkey before Thanksgiving day

Flawless logic

OP, I do a "fresh" turkey each year from Publix, but they usually go first. I was always taught 2 days at fridge temps so I find the process scary.

While at Winn-Dixie on Sunday, the butcher told me ALL fresh birds are slaughtered 14 days exactly before Thanksgiving with the clear implication it is to be cooked and consumed right on Thanksgiving day. I guess they are irradiating it to keep it cleaner longer, I dunno. But if that is true, my 2 day idea is a thing of the past. Farmer's market though? I dunno. Go get another one from the grocer today, a fresh one for Thursday, and cook that puppy right now that you have, and pack it up in the freezer. Or you can let your Dad poison everyone and just call it his prerogative. If he's not being a jerk about it, just really uninformed, you could pick up a 2nd one on your dime, and cook that one today with an alternative "testing" recipe like spatchcoking, like "just to be sure, Dad" and shrug it off as experience. He could very well be right.

How long you can store meat is entirely dependent on the temperature. 3 C is the magic number. Below 3 C you can store raw meats for a month. Above 3 C it's much shorter.

dude a buddy of mines dad who's a hunter WON'T eat a duck unless it has been sitting in the fridge for atleast 5 days. Did you leave it uncovered?

what'd you say to me bitch