Sup? I'm a self published author who's learned a ton about the process in the last year...

Sup? I'm a self published author who's learned a ton about the process in the last year. Do you have questions about the process of putting your work online? I'll share what I know

yes, how do you game amazons system to get higher in the ranks?

Don't worry about Amazon. Amazon is only big in the US. Use Draft2digital as an aggregator to "go wide" and get into the worldwide markets. You can submit separately to Apple, Barnes and noble, Sony, etc. but using them gets it all done in one shot.

why self publish? what is so hard about getting a publisher?

How much did you pay for editing and cover art?

It would t been easier 5 years ago but now everyone and their brother is a writer. The market and publishers are overwhelmed and flooded

I have a friend who has a masters in literature and he did it as a favor. I recommend going to fiverr. You can have a multitude of services (covers/editing) done on the cheap with a contractor there

But I'm an only child

He's more than likely shit, and just sent his manuscript to the slushpiles for the big 5, and gave up on it when they didn't pull his "gem" out of the rough.

how many books have you sold?

Whether that's true or it doesn't discount the knowledge gained by researching how to self publish.

464 in two months

In the end, are you happy with self-publishing your work? Or do you still hope to try and publish traditionally?

I've not published a book yet, but during the writing process I'm constantly weighing the options to self-publish or publish through a proper publisher.

I guess I'm worried a publisher will try to cull your style in their efforts to make it packagable and marketable, but at the same time my own creative style could be mistaken for incompetence and no one would actually bother to buy or read it if I self-published.

From what I've learned, publishers and agents are looking for talent who already have "their train already rolling down the tracks". It's kinda smart actually. Think about it, would you rather take a chance on a new writer, or pick up a writer that's already doing the work and has a following and a buzz?

Yeah, at that point they're past caring about the book's quality, they realized as long as the writer in subject as big enough following that people will buy the books, they'll let him right anything. It's a double-edged sword really.

Also, you retain more control of your work, but you'd better have your act together because if you put a shit cover on your work or don't edit properly, you'll be branded as an amateur

Exactly.

If I self-publish, can I expect to have any readers? I guess what I'm trying to ask is what is the likelihood that I will put something out and no one will read it?

Is it a viable way to get grocery money?

What if your work gets plagiarised online?

uhhh?

I want to start out writing stories. Is there any point publishing them to minor publications? Or will a small reputation (if they do well) be useful for getting progressively larger publishers interested?

Are more of these physical copies or ebooks?

I want to get one single copy of a book, and I want the paper to be that real grocery-store-quality shit, not the printer paper they're usually made on.

Where can I get this?

You have to do your own marketing and networking. You have to hit the proverbial bricks and hustle for every inch.

Keep backups in your email. It's a type of timestamp

Ebooks.

Unless the content of the writing in question has something to do with that decision, don't do it

Is that a lot??

Amazon is the number one online retailer everywhere. Thanks for playing.

>I'm a self published author who's learned a ton about the process in the last year.
you learned nothing of value and your work is worthless

Yes. It's above average

False. Just in the US. Apple is bigger everywhere else in the world. Thanks! I play to win, beotch

youre like a child walking into the room when the adults are talking, Donny

No, Amazon is universally the largest. If you aren't on Amazon, which I assume from your replies you aren't, nobody gives a shit about your pretend talent.

I'm ON Amazon.

>nobody gives a shit
Then parade your happy ass back to the
"Hay guise, what's the Evangelion of literature?" Thread.

Then why are you lying?

I've not participated in any such thread. I have, however, been published by people other than myself, and paid. So...

Am I?

Tragic.

You have no idea what you're talking about.

Do you have a question or are you just straw man shitposting?

It couldn't hurt.

What?

I've been self-published for a few years now and I can tell you this: nobody will read your work.

The problem isn't just oversaturation of the market, and the lack of visibility, it's that Amazon has set up their store in such a way that the only people who will sell any books are those with either large publishers behind them to channel money into it, or those going with Amazon themselves.

Look at the top sellers list right now. Almost all of them are romance or weak thrillers. It's the kind of stuff that teenage girls and bored housewives read, and they're all being spammed by media book clubs (daytime TV, fashion/makeup bloggers, celebrity friends of the authors, etc). So they get the spotlight and everyone else flounders in the dark.

Unless you're planning to write some absolute pleb-tier shit, and you've got friends in high places, self-publishing won't get you anywhere.

>"Self publishing won't get you anywhere"

Andy Weir and Amanda Hocking might disagree.

Throwing your hands up and saying "it can't be done!" Will get you nowhere. If you don't put in the time and effort to push yourself and your work as an author, then you will remain a literary unknown.

>people who published 5 years ago would disagree

Who gives a fuck about them? We're talking the present.

It happens everyday. I'm a nobody but my work is getting decent reviews and I'm selling product. Just because I'm not on Good Morning America telling everyone how I'm the new overnight success doesn't mean I'm a failure. I encourage you keep pushing your own work to market, electronic or otherwise.

Sorry, you're confusing a brief burst with success. Most competent books get what you're getting (I had 3 go through it), but this time next year you'll be making fuck all just like the rest of us. If you aren't on GMA, or even a best-sellers lists, you know your book is a flop.

There are only two options in self-publishing, and that's to either spam books like you're Stephen King on amphetamines, or have friends with the ability to reach a wide audience. One will burn you out and you won't make much from it, while the other will have you laughing all the way to the bank with a single book.

This is why you identify target markets and shill

Veeky Forums (and other artsy types) may have this big complex against marketability, but half the battle in getting a product to anyone is knowing exactly who its going to. People without that knowledge always flounder.

I'm releasing a new book in a space opera every 3-4 months over the next 3 years. That will give me more momentum than most. Nothing is ever guaranteed but I'm in a prime spot to ride the momentum created by the resurgence of the Star Wars franchise

Partially disagree.

If a book is good and word of mouth spreads about it's very possible to see a success. Also, social media marketing is your friend.

hey Gaskun, havent read yet but will soon after The Great Ordeal

Keep up the good work tho, always nice to see you post

Thank you very much. I'm busting my ass to get things off the ground. Marketing and pushing your brand is key and it's very time consuming.

Oh, and IF you enjoy it, please read a review online. I paid an editor to fix the minor grammatical errors that somehow slipped out before.

Thanks again

will do bro!

Is self-publishing primarily done in the e-reader domain? Personally I'd like to self-publish, but with actual physical books. Although I suppose it won't anywhere near enough money.

You do both dummy. People will choose to buy a physical or e-book. Most sites do print on demand.

Also just because someone is published traditionally doesn't mean they will be a huge success either. Go into a book store and you won't recognize 90% of the authors.

Fair enough

This guy gets it. In truth, most writers only make a little more than a buck off of hardbacks and maybe $1.50 off of paperbacks. Epublishing has established higher payouts to indie and established writers but the trade off is all the work you have to do to promote yourself

>self published
No.

What's it like being the complete stereotype of the self published author?

Just cheat during NaNo and get your 'draft' as one of the prizes every year.

For shitty eBook selfpublishing he means,

how has it affected your self esteem? your happiness?
I know I shouldn't put my hopes in being happy after I get published, but that's a strong instinct.

Self published author- someone who publishes their own writing.

Pretty good, senpai. You should try it

Feels good to get your work and and hear back from people who enjoy your work and want more.

It's also just nice for people to read your work. I don't think people on this board and in this thread realize that a middle class of writers is emerging thanks to self publishing. You can survive off writing and that's neat.

says the person who either is or is defending a self-published """""author"""""

I'm sorry. I didn't realize the money I made from self publishing was play money.