Can you guys tell me the pros and cons to electrical engineering without memeing? I want to go to either Caltech...

Can you guys tell me the pros and cons to electrical engineering without memeing? I want to go to either Caltech, Stanford, or uc Berkley for EE. I also might want to double major in mathematics as well.

bump for OP

Pros:
>70,000/year.
>work is in high demand.
>what you learn in school is actually relevant to what you'll be doing in your career, unlike 90% of physics majors.
>if zombies invade tomorrow, survivors will still have a need for electrical power. They won't have a need for particle physics. Nor for new math theorems. Nor for smartphone apps or video games. Engineering is apocalypse-proof.

Cons:
>mean people on Veeky Forums
> ...that's all I can come up with, really.

meming is all we've got

Pros:
> By far the safest in terms of job market.

Cons:
> Not physics.

>So electromagnetic wave propagation is not physics.
Ok

The only cons is if you don't like it, it will be hell. Lot of people who put effort into it because of passion will leave you behind. On the other hand if you like it that's a pro.
Money is good if that's what you want. There are many areas in EE. You can do whatever the fuck you want for your MSc.

At my school, if you get a Bachelor's in EE, it only takes like two or three extra classes to minor in physics. Lot of overlap.

What
Said about liking it is true. Only problem is it's hard to find out whether you like it or not if you haven't done it yet.

It might be a good investment to pick up an arduino project kit and start fucking around with it. Watch some Colin's lab videos on YouTube. Maybe some introductory level lectures too.

You went to a school with hardcore EE program. Or you're lying/exaggerating.

Last time I check the program is called Electrical Engineering not Physics.

what school?

what school?

>Last time I check the program is called Electrical Engineering not Physics.
Indeed. However it builds heavily on electromagnetism and at least on some general physics. Usually very basic quantum theory is included too so you can understand the basic BJT model.
At least that's how it's done at any proper university.

Portland State. It's 27 credits to minor. Three physics w/lab classes (which you have to take anyway), and three physics electives that can also apply to your EE degree, and that's it.

Are you comparing physics done in EE with what I did in my Physics program? Don't make me laugh.

>> 8299145

Oh, it's a minor. I misread it. Thought it's another major.

It's okay. No one here is an English major.

Well, physics is just reverse engineering the universe.

Pros:
>Easily employed after graduation
>High af starting salary
>Build electronics stuff which is interesting

Cons:
>at least 16 units a semester to graduate in 4 years
>have to take physics courses
>You might not have time to complete another major or even a minor

>Caltech, Stanford, Cal
>getting into EECS without knowing what it entails

yeah good fucking luck

Then I think I will do great in it. I freaking love learning about electrodynamics and electrical engineering. its pretty much a hobby of mine to study and play around with electrical circuits and components.

the only con is if you are a nerd and wind up like my friend designing photocopiers for konica. he hates his life.

reply if you have questions about EECS or math at berkeley OP

not OP but I want to know about decent math undergrad programs..what semester do most math majors take real analysis (rudin, not spivak), abstract algebra (groups+rings), and measure/lebesgue/functional analysis? i'm doing cs + math at a decent uni and might not finish these early enough in my degree to take some cool grad courses after the above..

Varies by school but typically something like this

Not Berkelee guy.

But for 4 years program, analysis and algebra is usually done in the 2nd year. Measure, etc. most likely will be electives that can be taken anytime given that you had the prereq or prof's ok. European degrees are usually more rigid and have more compulsory courses. But considering you are doing double degree, it's safe to assume you're in the US.

that's a nice program, sweet algebraic geometry concentration 10/10

Op here. Is there a way I can show them that I already know everything I need to know for some of those math classes and get past them?

Do you have a list of the typical courses taken by eecs majors at Berkeley? For all 4 years

take AP exams and do well on them.

Speak to the math department's advisers or chair

Yeah, but the only good AP exams that my school offers is calculus and chemistry. I wanted to take the AP physics c e&m exam

AP classes aren't really enough.

Well idk anout Berkeley but Stanford and caltech want more than just some kid who did well in AP classes, because really, that doesn't make you special.

>pros
>huge field (electronics, communications, can go in to power or research)
>good pay, high employability (even in ten years, no other Engineering field will be as big despite 0% "job growth" )
>can start with Bachelor's, technically even an EE or Engineering and Applied Science AS can you get in the door for far less work than other engineerings (I seriously don't know if we're learning too little or they're learning too much)

>cons
>half the women will be foreigners, and most will be married or come from hyper-conservative backgrounds
>even then, it's less than 10% women, probably 6%
>you run into a lot of foreigners who got shoved into it by their parents
>the kids will cheat without remorse
> ~1/4 teachers encourage this by being absolute trash in almost every way
I'd suggest doing as much as you can at a community college. Normies don't become friends with you if you transfer, but you can easily get a free AS and have a much better learning environment than university. My uni teachers were pretty bad, even my worst CC teacher is above-average at uni. I supposedly went to a really good CC though. If I went to uni first I'd have like 25k in debt and probably a 2.5 average. Going to CC I had a 3.5 at least and $0 debt. I also got excused from a normal speaking class because of crippling anxiety, and had it replaced with an Interpersonal Relations class. Uni would've probably just told me to keep trying.

I know. I'm just going to take the exams. Also, I have really good letters of recommendation that explain how much I love science/math and how I am a great thinker.

>a great thinker

You're going to need something much more substantial than recommendation letters to prove this. Something like published papers, or an award at an international olympiad.

Good grades and recommendations prove nothing more than you having baseline requirements - what you really need is a great hook to get into any of those places.

If grades are your strong suit, you're better off looking for places that admit on the basis of grades rather than hooks.

Everyone who got 2350+ on their SAT in my high school class thought they were all going to Ivies or MIT/Caltech/Stanford - some did, but the kids who only had that and nothing else got into nowhere.

Forgot to mention - I'm one of the kids that got into nowhere in that group because I honestly thought good grades were sufficient back then too.

If you need a safety, apply to UIUC EE. They're a step below those schools but they accept literally anyone as long as you pass a certain objective standard (which isn't high at all).

geez i barely know what class im going to next let alone a major

>>>lurking

So basically they want to see people who are using their knowledge to apply it to things? Like for me wanting to go into eecs, would building circuits and such be something? Plus being able to explain everything involved in it?

>So basically they want to see people who are using their knowledge to apply it to things?
No, they want to see someone with black skin, a big nose, and a vagina

Because what your saying kind of reminds me of the origin stories of a lot of my idols. I remember that Richard Feynman got into MIT because he loved math and physics and he was already applying them to the real world. That's what I like to do a lot as well.

I'm half Hispanic

No, try getting involved in a research project at a local college. You can't just mail them pictures of "your coolest circuit" and expect them to let you in. Research is good because it shows them you're motivated, knowledgeable, have basic lab experience, and if you publish, you're useful to them. I'm assuming you're in your senior year or something, right?

I didn't apply to California schools or Ivies, mostly just East Coast and local schools in Missouri. I had great test scores, grades, and involvement in high school, but bigger universities are looking for more than that. Fortunately for me, I had other selling points, like music and some math/science competitions I participated in, so I got into one of my top picks. In retrospect, I should've tried to get some research experience at WashU or something.

"Before entering college, he was experimenting with and deriving mathematical topics such as the half-derivative using his own notation.[21] He created special symbols for logarithm, sine, cosine and tangent functions so they didn't look like three variables multiplied together, and for the derivative, to remove the temptation of canceling out the d's.[22][23] A member of the Arista Honor Society, in his last year in high school he won the New York University Math Championship.[24] His habit of direct characterization sometimes rattled more conventional thinkers; for example, one of his questions, when learning feline anatomy, was "Do you have a map of the cat?" (referring to an anatomical chart)" - Wikipedia

So I can actually help out with research at local universities? As a senior in high school.

Out of all my experience with calculus. I've never mistaken a trigometric or logarithmic function or d for derivative for being a variable. I could very easily use Roman or Greek letters that spell out the function instead, but how would anyone who is looking at my work be able to tell what the hell it really is? In order for that to work then it has to be common to use them. Such as the Feynman diagram. That makes a lot more sense then changing something that's already been established for hundreds of years and that hasn't really caused confusion.

Also referring to the cat thing. I do shit like that all the time. One time in art class I drew an anotomical chart of the human hand that included all the seethes of the fingers and each bone and muscle. They were all labeled and I covered the page up in information about the relationships between the components. Then another time we were drawing 3D objects and I wasn't very good at shading so when the teacher asked how was someone supposed to tell that the object was 3D I replied by saying "oh well I can just state that the object is in R^3 space" then I turned in the project with a bunch of spherical coordinate stuff all over it. Also another time this year I asked my physics teacher why fermions and bosons spin and what's the diffrence between integer and half integer spin. He looked at me like I was from outer space and said that if he knew that kind of stuff he would be making bank. I went home and learned it by myself. To be honest being a genius is a really lonely experience. Not very many people understand or even are interested in what you have to say and those who do are rare and most likely in another field from you. Plus when someone has more experience than you, you feel inadequate.

How do I get shoulders like Boltzmann?

You have to be a super hero.

Well how do I do that?

Well you have to fall under certain archetypes first. Like being an orphan, humble background, etc. then you have to learn various martial arts styles and or build technology to help you fight crime like tony stark.