ITT: books you read in high school that you actually enjoyed

>ITT: books you read in high school that you actually enjoyed

Macbeth. Romeo and Juliet. To Kill a Mockingbird.

The only ones I can remember.

One flew over the cuckoo's nest & of mice and men were my favorite English class reads

Faust

The Rape of the Lock, and some of Sean O'Casey's plays. Also a lot of Shakespeare

Frankenstein

The Great Gastby
Death of a Salesman

>reading a 600 page book in high school

One of my english teachers was a proper DnD nerd and she let me read the Gormenghast trilogy instead of To Kill a Mocking Bird for our english essay.

most people here who have read The Stand have done so in highschool. Myself included. It's like 1100~ pages? page count has little to do with difficulty.

Anyways I think my favorite was The Astonishing Life of Octavian Nothing

>what is summer?

I was implying that it seems like a lot of pages to have a class in high school go through.

I never read anything that wasn't at most around 250 pages. There was so much material you have to get the kids through throughout the course of a year.

Of Mice and Men, All Quiet on the Western Front, A Streetcar Named Desire. Rest was unmemorable trash. English class in my school was garbage and my Higher English teacher was so stressed out she would sometimes not turn up to class so we would just sit and talk.

And I was implying that it was my summer reading one year.

Iliad
Divine Comedy
Don Quixote
Macbeth
Werther
Metamorphosis (Kafka)
The Flowers of Evil

The Trial
Faust
Der Besuch der alten Dame

>assigned readings for summer

What kind of disgusting authoritarian practice is this?

Did you even read a non-adbridged/simplified version of any of these

All of them were non-abridged versions.

The first four were read during the penultimate year of school, the last three during the last.

Is summer reading not a thing everywhere?

I've never heard of it. I'm Danish, mind you.

A period when people come to Veeky Forums to shitpost

Not in Britain.

Not infrequently suggested, never followed.

I read War and Peace in high school. The whole grade did. Shit was crazy.

most definitely. read it in 8th grade tho

There were lots but I loved this one in particular. It made me cry, and I was full of resentment for some of my friends who didn't bother to read it.

life of pi
the power and the glory
the namesake

this is all i remember. shit was so cash, animal fights, colonialism, pajeet cobras.

Lord of the Flies.

Not in Australia. But Summer signifies the end of a school year down here.

Lel

read this in 12th grade, what a game changer

?

>if the USSR made a childrens book with animals demonizing the US, they'd be called cunts

Reminder we're the bad guys.

Canada here, never heard of this

In murrica it is so ingrained that local libraries and bookstores receive lists of summer reading books from local schools and display said titles and clifnotes prominently at the front of stores.

It is also a tradition that 75% of students dont read them or read them during the first week of school.

I assume OP meant things you were required to read for classes, not things you read on your own.

You didn't miss out bro

Here in italy we take literature seriously. The divine comedy is a mandatory read everywhere, i also had to read don quixote, stendhal etc and i didnt even go to a good school

this was one hell of a ride

This bad boy.

lord of the flies was amazing, still one of my favorites

i actually liked this book, still do. shoot me if you want

holden's an edge teenager but who wasn't

"A tale of two cities" and "The Martian chronicles". They were the only assigned books I ever reread.

Fahrenheit 451
Yeah baby

>books

Despite its artless symbolism, I enjoyed this book. I read it three/four times. I mean, I had to. It's the sort of book that grows on you.

Oh, man. When friends act all stuck-up, ditching a book without giving it a chance – I know it. They can be pretty rude about it too.

I'm gonna read this. I feel like I missed out on something important.

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.

why do they make you read books in school

like what do they ask you to take into consideration while reading

Lord of the Flies
>showed up late the first day, got the oldest copy in the school that still had the line "pack of painted niggers" instead of "pack of painted natives."
>mfw we were taking turns reading it out loud and I got that part.

Macbeth

Brave New World

The Rats in the Walls
>class split into five groups, each picked a story to do a report on. My buddy and I convinced the teacher to let us do Lovecraft. It was a weeks-long project, and we rattled it off in two days. The three other fucks in our group loved us for it.

>enjoyable books
Great Expectations
A Tale of Two Cities
Lord of the Flies
Animal Farm
Of Mice and Men

>meh
Moby Dick
A Midsummer Night's Dream
Romeo and Juliet
The Great Gatsby

>absolute shit
The Scarlet Letter
To Kill a Mockingbird

Sounds like we had similar high school english experiences

We also read a Streetcar Named Desire and I thought it was fab. We read it with Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf, which (in spite of the teacher's very poor explanation of the play) I thoroughly enjoyed

>holden's an edge teenager but who wasn't

desu this sums up the book really well. I think it's great as well, anyone who dismisses it as some sort of angst-ridden work for teens has completely missed the point

You didn't go to school?

Bible, Metamorphosis by Camus

I absolutely hated Hamlet, and I love it now.

Lots of fun short stories
>Amontillado
>Most Dangerous Game
>Scarlet Ibis

Books I enjoyed
>Lord of the Flies
>Crucible (might not count)
>Fahrenheit 451

Books that were meh
>Mice and Men
>Grapes of Wrath

Books I hated
>Brave New World
>Scarlet Letter, I really don't understand how anyone can enjoy this hamfisted garbage.

It's like they never watched The Fairy OddParents

I had kids sit next to me who thought Napoleon was hitler. Three said they liked communism and one thought it was the book for the Charlotte fucking web film.

where i'm from (southern us) only students who were in advanced/ap english had summer reading assignments, everyone else actually got to enjoy summer vacation

We read Anna Karenina, I liked it. Most people were complaining about the length (which was kind of understandable since we had to read it at a ridiculous speed) but I enjoyed the characters and how it touched on a bunch of different issues under one larger story. Made me attempt War and Peace the next year, but that one really didn't click for some reason.

Pic related. I did not like most of the "Latin american boom" era literature they made us read, but this is still among my favourites.

also enjoyed:
Sábato - The Tunnel
all of Cortázar's short stories
Ende - Momo
Sophocles - Antigone
poetry:
Lugones, Girondo, Pizarnik

We actually read The Idiot our senior year, which was a disaster because most students straight-up refused to do it due to the length. I loved it though, it became my favorite work of literature.
This came after a junior year of some really terrible ones though. We had a proto-SJW teacher who exclusively assigned feminist or kill whitey books. The Scarlet Letter, The Awakening (fuck this one, probably the worst book I've ever read), Things Fall Apart (the problem being her teaching of the opposite of what the book was trying to say, she told us that Okonkwo was a heroic, strong man and that it was a commentary on how even the strongest of people can be broken by Christianity and religion), some other one I don't even remember by some contemporary black woman author.

Other good ones were Lord of the Flies, Animal Farm. We read 1984 but I didn't think it was that good even though it was everyone else's favorite.
>Captcha: 1984

A Clockwork Orange
Siddhartha
On Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest
Running with Scissors
Inferno
Lord of the Flies
Moby Dick
To Kill a Mockingbird
Hamlet
Julius Caesar
Things Fall Apart (I don't care what you say, I liked it, and the ending is absolutely brilliantly written)
Slaughterhouse-Five (really just think it's OK looking back, but I liked it then and it got me to read other, superior works by Vonnegut)

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. Also, the first five were books I chose on my own to read for practice AP essays, not specifically assigned (Siddhartha may have been assigned, can't remember).

I read the entire Harvard Classics set in middle/high school.Got it for my 13th birthday. Needless to say, but I was totally getting super laid in HS. Other than that, my hobbies included doing math and shitposting. Ah, memories.

This is one of those books where I'm actually jealous of the author for being able to cash out on the concept first

The thief of always by Clive Barker
Still enjoy it

OH HELL YEAAAAAAAAAAAA

For Whom the Bell Tolls
The Sun Also Rises
The Old Man and the Sea
The Odyssey
The Man Who Was Thursday

twas quite enjoyable tbqhfamalamakamalshumpdingdongobongofrongo

The Outsiders

stay golden ponyboy

The Robbers by Friedrich Schiller
Woyzeck by Georg Büchner
Faust by Goethe
The Trial by Kafka
The Rats by Gerhart Hauptmann

I really liked to read the german literature as a german especially kafka but i wish we would have been introduced to some hemmingway or fitzgerald in english class instead of otello and animal farm

We've read the Count of Monte-Cristo in high school.
I have read it. Most of my friends read it. Even those who never read anything else after that.

The only school-assigned book I actually read when it was assigned (I read Orwell on my own) was The Wizard of Oz, in 6th grade. After forcing myself a little it was a strangely enjoyable adventure story, especially considering the shit the movie left out (the tin man beheads a bunch of creatures).

I don't know why I'm even on Veeky Forums.

Henrik Ibsen - The Wild Duck

Sean O'Casey is great. Do they study it in the US too or are you irish/English? Also, read Sive by John B. Keane.

One flew over the cuckoo's nest and brave new world

Catcher in the Rye
Ficciones
Artificios
Oedipus Rex
Rayuela
Las Muertas
Pedro Páramo
Los Cachorros
Aura
A Streetcar Named Desire (screenplay)
La Casa de Bernarda Alba (screenplay)
Ensaio sobre a cegueira

the list goes on

brave new world

In english class we read tales of the unexpected by Roald Dahl. I really enjoyed his short stories and I still do.

>screenplays

why not the stage plays for both?

woops that's what I meant

t. Haydon