The other day I had a discussion with a SC student...

The other day I had a discussion with a SC student, said that Godel's incompleteness theorem showed that science was limited.

Why compufags and mathfags pretenten talk about science when they know almost nothing? Especially compufags.

Other urls found in this thread:

opticasoftware.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=26HgyVqN88o
youtube.com/watch?v=p65XPP53rLo
rbt.asia/g/thread/S56097145#p56098020
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Because they know more than you.
Especially the mathematicians.

wtf is SC?

la science computationnele, pronounce with a heavy American accent

I think CS students subconsciously know that CS bachelor is one of the easiest STEM program. They try to legitimize themselves by pretending to be mathematicians. Even though they know jack shit about maths.

>misunderstands the theorem
>draws philosophical conclusion

Tell your friend he would fit right in with \sci

Don't know why I laughed so hard at this.

Kek, I know right? CS students are so stupid for falling for the memes. What a bunch of losers!

Don't even associate with them.

Case in point, physics and majors can get programming jobs. Not the other way around.

But user, cs is not about programming, it's pure math.

Sure, but cs as the way they are taught in undergrad is in no way pure math. Stuff you dread, like algo, discrete math, complexity, is very simple for physics and math majors. At the undergrad level of course.

>Physics
>On par with Mathematics

>Being this delusional

I don't know this faggot or what he's talking about

And you don't have the ability to teach, only reference

>trying to level yourself with Mathematicians
>implying undergrad Physics deals with pure math
>implying undergrad Physics isn't just number crunching

Engineer please go.

did you mean ?

>Case in point, physics and "math" majors can get programming jobs. Not the other way around.

Most physics students are very bad programmers though.

Discrete math, graph theory, complexity, etc, can be simple for physics and math majors, but they have hard time at courses like computer networks and operating systems in my university.

Lost

Are you being coy or are you a pedant? I think, anyhow it's "science computationnelle"

>I think, anyhow it's "science computationnelle"
It's neither, nobody uses that horrible anglicism. You're going to an "informatique" school, or taking an "algorithmique" class.

>Most physics students are very bad programmers though.

Most physics students don't bother learning how to code. There are 0 required classes on it.

>meanwhile 4 years of education gets you this in CS

Really?
I had one required class called computational physics, and a circuits class where we used fpga? boards and c++ to do different adc and dac projects.
Got good use out of signal processing too.

>meanwhile 4 years of education gets you this in CS

That's pretty sad if true

I had to program a videogame for my sophomore year

I was replying the poster who said physics students can get programming jobs.

>Most physics students don't bother learning how to code. There are 0 required classes on it.

Wrong. I'm sure all physics majors require a basic programming class in my country. They need it because Numerical Analysis is also required.

What a retard. Godel actually showed that if something can be proved using a system, then that system is unreliable.

If anything, Godel showed that math is reliable.

I'm a bit drunk.. but if all maths can be proved with only math.. then its unreliable

since some things cant be proven, it is reliable

imoff.. too drunk.

:]

Took some math, bombed out. Took some CS, bombed out. Undergrad CS in school is basically trivial math and worthless intro to programming. YMMV. Higher CS is a branch of higher math. High level programming is... really applied math. And/or high level wankery.

Godel's incompleteness theorem says that formal logic is limited. Formal logic is the primary tool of higher math. Math is the primary tool of science. So, yes. Godel's incompleteness theorem says that science is limited. Common sense, and any scientist, will tell you the same thing without referring to Godel. Can science make you live to 150 today? No it cannot. Did Feynman have any idea what was going to happen to him when he died? No he did not. Ergo, science is limited.

The real question is whether or not there is anything that is more worthwhile to do with your life than faffing about with formal systems and other rigorous ideas generally.

There are a lot of people (OK, maybe not a lot) who want to believe that math is something that is worth giving your life to. I there are lots of worse things, but there are also some way, way, way better things.

not true i went to ucsd
we took any of the freshman programming classes C/Java/Matlab/Python
two quarters of computational physics C++/FORTRAN
our own analog/digital circuits class
mathematical physics lots of Mathematica code
for optics we used this with Mathematica - opticasoftware.com/ - this required lots of OPENMP and C++
we wrote tons of C++ using OPENCV

just remember a cs grad is worthless if you need to do any physical coding

>we wrote tons of C++ using OPENCV

What were you using Computer Vision for? Or did you mean OpenCL.

Oh god, another delusional physics student who thinks he can code.

>I don't understand the incompleteness theorems

for this class:
PHYS 124. Laboratory Projects (4)

A laboratory-lecture-project course featuring creation of an experimental apparatus in teams of about two. Emphasis is on electronic sensing of the physical environment and actuating physical responses. The course will use a computer interface such as the Arduino. Physics 124 was formerly numbered Physics 120B. Program or material fee may apply. Prerequisites: Physics 120. (W)

here is an example of a typical project using arduino and opencv. i did take some ee courses for my electives:
youtube.com/watch?v=26HgyVqN88o
youtube.com/watch?v=p65XPP53rLo

So you just did a Computer Science and Engineering degree except you were able to call it Physics. Nice.

>I am an undergrad

Physics graduates though often do a fair bit of programming as part of our work. Were we "very bad" we would not keep our jobs.

>Most physics students don't bother learning how to code. There are 0 required classes on it.
It was where I was a student, it is not as if we can get CS dudes to program the interfacing for our experiments or do digital signal processing on a blackboard on the fly.

>Oh god, another delusional physics student who thinks he can code.
I see a lot of programming jobs getting outsourced. I don't see physics jobs getting outsourced any time soon.

Read
>Formal logic is the primary tool of higher math
>Common sense, and any scientist

You dont have sci education.

>>>>>>>>

To say that there are questions that science still can not answer, all right. But using Godel's theorem to argue that science is limited, it is very stupid.

The principial element of science is empiricism, so that any explanation of the universe, beyond being consistent mathematically, must represent reality.

On the other hand, Godel's incompleteness theorems say rather that there is no way that mathematics can are self-constructed, ie, there is no way to limit mathematics using mathematical (and much less anything other than mathematics). Basically the opposite to say they are limited.

yes, yes, very good STEM autist, very good.

HOWEVER

Why do subhuman physicists always insist that they can ever approach the level of existence that mathematicians hold?
Why are they so delusional and in denial of their intrinsic inferiority?

Childhood issues

Godel's theorem is irrelevant to physics. Physics is not a formal system in the sense of Godel's theorem.

too bad that the causal relation dreamed by physicists is exactly the material implication of the classical logic

Godel's theorem proves the exact opposite in fact.

It provides an algorithmic method to produce new "facts" that were previously unknown.

Bump

>PhD in Physics
>Any job I want
>$300k starting

Don't lie.
It's sad.

Daily reminder that physics is for subhumans.
Mathematics is the way to go.

>PhD in Physics
>Any semen fluid dynamic you want
>(Semen)300 litres starting

how disgusting is my solution?

>It's a Hasklel/ricer tryhard seeks validation episode

rbt.asia/g/thread/S56097145#p56098020

Holy fuck dude you've had this on your mind for over two weeks. Do Haskell users seriously have nothing better to do than obsess over how pretty their solutions to first year CS problems look? Are you planning on printing this out and framing it once you've spent another week "optimizing" it?

2 weeks already, shit

Bump