When you go to somebody's Thanksgiving dinner and bring a dish do you like to cook it at home first or do you bring the...

When you go to somebody's Thanksgiving dinner and bring a dish do you like to cook it at home first or do you bring the stuff you need and cook it at the hosts house? Because I think precooking at home is for armature faggots. I always show up to whoever's house I'm invited to that year with a big bag full of fresh ingredients for whatever I'm making then before it's time to eat I take over the entire kitchen to prepare my star dish so that it is done the exact moment Thanksgiving dinner is served. The true peak of freshness.

I don't know but when I arrive there are always a lot of trays of sweet potatoes

I'd cook it at home. From experience I'd say people never have the utensils you need to cook decent food when you go to their houses.

If you're bringing ingredients then why not bring utensils too?

if they have the oven/stove space then i'd cook it there. that rarely happens though.

Why not bring your kitchen

Top bait bro, couldn't even see it coming.

Because that's silly hyperbole and has nothing to do with tossing a couple utensils in a box with your ingredients.

why would you plan to bring something you have to make there

Because people are sometimes offended by it. You're insinuating that they don't know how to cook or don't care enough about food preparation.

THICC

>armature

You can easily avoid that misunderstanding. Just mention: hey, I didn't want to get in your way or get your stuff dirty so I brought a few things so there's less cleanup.

Because the dish is fresher that way.

kek.

I mean this in the least offensive way possible, but do you have aspergers or high functioning autism.
You know, something that effects a persons base level of social perception skills. Like come on man, you're really going to take all of these ingredients, and utensils to your buddies/relatives house? "I didn't want to get your stuff dirty so I brought my own".
Like that's a really weird thing to say or do, and if anything if you're in the kitchen cooking "because you're not some amateur" the whole time while everyone is socializing and mingling you're going to look like a pretentious asshole.
A dinner party is one thing, but like doing something like that for Thanksgiving, that's just unnecessary.

Unless it's like some fairly quick cooking or assembling appetizers, you usually make it at home and take to the event. If not, and you really want to make sure it's still hot or whatever, ask the host if you can like, throw whatever it is into the oven for a few minutes.

Not only does this show poor social knowledge, but also amateur cooking skills.
Part of being an excellent chef is knowing which dishes are best served immediately after cooking, and which dishes are best served 1-2 hours after inital prep, perhaps with minor last minute assemblage.
You having to cook your dish at the host's house to make it taste good means you don't have a wide enough repertoire or (even worse) don't know enough to choose the proper dish to bring to another person's house.

That's kind of sad. Maybe just ask if you can bring some flowers or a bottle of wine.

>the whole time while everyone is socializing and mingling you're going to look like a pretentious asshole.

Not every thanksgiving is like that, user. In my family most of the people are milling around in the kitchen making whatever dishes they are good at. If you brought pre-made food instead of participating with everyone else cooking then you'd be the odd man out. And when you are "famous" in the family for whatever your specialty is then you bet your butt you're going to prepare it fresh rather than bring in something and re-heat it.

>Part of being an excellent chef is knowing which dishes are best served immediately after cooking, and which dishes are best served 1-2 hours after inital prep,

Obviously. But who wants to prep a dish at home 2 hours before "dinner", and then show up right beforehand? At least in my experience people tend to show up several hours (if not days) before the big meal. That means that the food is either cooked FAR in advance, or you cook it as needed before the meal.

It's not about "having" to cook the dish at the host's house. It's about making the dish as good as possible. No compromise. Why choose a lesser dish that could be served after a longer time when instead you could cook a better dish onsite?

Pretty much depends on the dish, i can't just bring ingredients for a dessert that will take an entire day to cool off

>I always show up to whoever's house I'm invited to that year with a big bag full of fresh ingredients for whatever I'm making then before it's time to eat I take over the entire kitchen to prepare my star dish so that it is done the exact moment Thanksgiving dinner is served. The true peak of freshness.

So, you show up and take over someone else's kitchen while they're in the middle of preparing what is arguably the largest meal of the year? DOUCHEBAG.
4/10 for getting me to reply to such crappy bait.

>take over

No. You mutually participate with cooking the meal. In many families everyone pitches in with the cooking.

>tfw no pochacomi
Life is suffering.

>When you go to somebody's Thanksgiving dinner and bring a dish do you like to cook it at home first or do you bring the stuff you need and cook it at the hosts house?
Unless they have double ovens, you can pretty much assume you need to coordinate whether you can cook there. The turkey is coming out at the last minute, and things like stuffing or other casseroles are being crisped up during the gravy-making process. An extra person standing in there isn't great, nor is needing to get some items cold, when others are in the oven in a second round. Coordinate it or consider not doing that recipe. If you want to make it at home, it might be a nice investment to have a car carrier bag that goes around a covered pyrex 9x12, or even a crock pot with a clip-on lid. If you do either option, you can get it there hot, and safely.
A cold relish tray is a nice thing to bring if you go hours before meal time. A frozen dessert that thaws nicely is fine (I like a pecan cheesecake pie called mystery pecan pie). A room temp dish, like a marinated salad is alright. A jello mold will transport nicely in an icechest, and just a quick run under hot water can be unmolded safely at the party. Bringing drinks in a nice rolling cooler full of ice will be a nice contribution that doesn't take up any of their fridgespace, countertop space, ice maker ice, etc. Consider icing down some wine, a cocktail bottle like pumpkin spice baileys, and good stuff for kids and nondrinkers like some cranberry sprite, old fashioned root beers, cokes. Throw in something usual like a bottle of gin, vermouth, and a nice jar of stuffed olives into it, or some craft pumpkin beers.

If you really know the hostess well, you could ask about grilling up some flatbreads on their propane grill (ie not in the kitchen), or some use of bringing over your frydaddy for appetizers on the patio, or whether you could broil your little devils on horseback in their toaster oven.

Did you not fucking read the OP?

>armature

Did you not follow the change in conversation in the thread?

Iktf

>Roomie invites me for thanksgiving with her parents
>Asks me to cook a dish
>Her parents dont like me touching their shitty utensils
>Awkward night as I fail to do much with limited access to tools (literally had to use nothing but a shitty knife, spoons and forks to work on cooking)
>Same again next year
>Bring my own utensils
>They think Im looking down on their hick family by bringing "fancy tools"
>Go berserk in the kitchen and cook up a storm
>Do well this time
>Her sisters and aunts compliment my cooking
>Her brother looks like its the first time he had something this good which makes sense because her mom cant cook for shit
>Invited again next year
>She tells me theyre excited to eat my cooking
>Refuse and tell her that Im cooking for my other friends family
>Remind her how unwelcome they made me feel

In a way I realize I just showed up a second time to prove I'm not a shit cook.

I mean, I guess it depends on the dish doesn't it?
Are you bringing more than one dish?
Does the person want you to cook at their house?
Do they have a kitchen and the appropriate appliances and utensils?
If not, why wouldn't you just cook at home and bring it over? I don't see anything wrong with either method to be honest senpai. Just plan ahead and make arrangements or let the person know or find out if they mind. Common courtesy.

Actually, my plan is to prep all the food and have it finished right before I head over to where I'm going. Although I like the idea of the house smelling like what I cooked, so maybe I'll just prep and heat when I arrive. I don't know. I'm still thinking about it all.