I stopped caring about math when I was introduced to the concept of imaginary numbers. What a crock of shit...

I stopped caring about math when I was introduced to the concept of imaginary numbers. What a crock of shit. If your equation can only be solved by inventing numbers that can't exist, like some kind of math deity , then you are fucking wrong and the math is flawed. Same for algebra solutions that basically say "the correct answer is whatever the correct answer is". Thats what the math said transcribed to words but god forbid if i wrote in down in english instead of the ancient math runes the teacher word mark me wrong.

Math is logical and numbers never lie my ass. Math is just as flawed as any other human construct.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formal_system
cs.virginia.edu/~evans/cs655/readings/purity.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Okay.

an equation that normally has no solution can be made to have a solution that is useful.
if u had mentioned infinite sums then that'd be a different story

All math is an invention, conceivable numbers included. That is kind of the point and why it inst a scientist. But it certainly doesn't make it useless.

>why it inst a scientist
Lol wut? Math is absolutely a science. It's what all other sciences (real sciences, not social 'sciences') are based on.

Math describes absolutely nothing about the real world, thus it is not a science. Math can be used as a tool in actual science to describe the real world however. But the math itself is not science.

Is math empirical?

BS Math MS Stats reporting

Love these threads.

Only come here to read the comments of the butt hurt kids who can't do basic analysis. Lel.

Math pleb reporting, what sort of math is involved in ordination, along the lines of community ecology?

I used to believe in imaginary numbers. For years I did not understand why people would stop and stare at me in the street. Children would run up to me, laughing, and throw dung in my face. I carried on, oblivious to the reason for my public humilation. Then one day a close friend told me why. I didnt understand, imaginary numbers were just so useful, they solved so many problems, especially in engineering. I, foolishly, ignored his advice and continued to use a mathmatical concept cooked up out of nothing to account for what should have been a blindingly obvious flaw at the core of our mathematics. I soldiered on, solving wonderously complex equations with the use of imaginary numbers. All the time I had this vague , sort of itching, discomfort in my anus. I ignored it, but as I continued to work the pain became worse, You could imagine my surprise when one day, in frustration at my increasing rectal irritation, I hurriedly pulled down my pants, pulled up a mirror behind me, and bending down so my head was firmly between my knees, I stared straight into the gaping hole that was my anus. What I saw horrified me. Besides all the wingnuts I caught a glimpse of something so terrifying that my mind almost refused to believe it. But somehow I managed to retain control of my senses and forced myself to observe the crawling horror that was so inflamming the delicate tissues of my sphincter and the passages within. It was an imaginary number dildo. How could I have missed it? There it was! Working its way rthymatically up and down my arse! Oh sweet Jesus the trauma was almost too great for me to bear. But I held on to my sanity. Drastic action was obviously needed. Quickly I read up on Clifford algebra. Within minutes the pain had gone! The dildo of imaginary numbers had vanished! I was saved!

Math is a formal science, dealing with formal systems

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formal_system

It's not empirical, so math is an invention. We create mathematical rules from ideas we deem to be completely true (axioms) and it just so happens some of these ideas are applicable to the real world, which is why the natural sciences use them (everything from natural numbers to vector calculus and linear algebra)

All math is lies. It is a terrible and false representation of the real world. 99.999% of all math is utterly worthless. The rest is only good for keeping track of money.

nice gondola

Kek

Literature is a science because all scientists use language to communicate.

This is copypasta from another thread. Read up on the different approaches to imaginary numbers, they're really quite beautiful. I can give you some recommendations if you like.

no, its copypasta from 5 years ago

Not related and I know it is bait, but I want to start learning maths since the roots to the top. Any good .pdf(s) you guys know?

What is phase OP?

Oh yeah physics equations that are all variables are bullshit because there are no numbers right? Just because your mind can't grasp the concept that math isnt just plugging in numbers and getting an answer doesn't mean that math is useless. You're retarded, come back when you've taken a physics course or an upper level mathematics course.

this

has it really been that long

why can't I stop coming to this shithole

you couldn't even wait an entire day to repost this?

>numbers
>existing
this copypasta needs to stop

this

this

this

Science and mathematics are based on philosophy.

Numbers probably exist. Though our math and notion of the logic afforded by the universe likely don't remotely approximate the actual thing.

negative numbers aren't really, we made it up. When do you have negative apples?

Imaginary numbers is just another set of numbers we made up cause it's useful.

This. Science is basically the new age religion, with its own churches and witch hunts. I can't wait for its time to pass.

This. You save this thread in a simple way.

>1 post by this ID

10/10 would read anti-science dribble again

>dribble

read godel escher bach, it will help answer your questions about why math is the way it is. Im about a third of the way through, really eye opening.

Complex numbers aren't some mysterious magic things.
They can be defined as order pairs of of real numbers (a,b) with a law of addition defined as :

(a,b)#(c,d)=(a+c,b+d)

and a law of multiplication defined as:

(a,b)X(c,d)=(a*c-b*d,a*d+b*c)

which just happens to be usefull to describe some things in nature or engineering, like electrical circuits or light propagating through matter.

Quality pasta

>saving a thumbnail

This OP, Douglas Hofstadter is a really insightful individual and explains a lot of complex issues very insightfully.

Here's a short satirical piece of his that I really enjoyed:
cs.virginia.edu/~evans/cs655/readings/purity.html

>square root of negative one cannot be calculated, therefore it doesnt exist at all
wew lad

I believe it was Euler who said the imaginary numbers really should have been named the orthogonal numbers.

Also it's silly to draw the line at imaginary numbers. There are plenty of real numbers which are just as silly and made up, but which serve a very useful function..

lmao

Wow, this bait is best bait.