Taking online calculus class in community college because it's my only option for calc

>taking online calculus class in community college because it's my only option for calc
>we're just given homework, no teaching
>can sort of do the problems but don't really understand what I'm doing

I've looked at the wiki but my question is what book would you recommend I read to actually learn calculus instead of just sort of knowing how to do some of the problems?

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Calculus-James-Stewart/dp/1285740629/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1472297369&sr=1-1&keywords=james stewart calculus
amazon.com/Manga-Guide-Calculus-Hiroyuki-Kojima/dp/1593271948/
amazon.com/Calculus-Intuitive-Physical-Approach-Mathematics/dp/0486404536
amazon.com/Calculus-Analytic-Geometry-George-Simmons/dp/0070576424
tutorial.math.lamar.edu/
youtube.com/user/professorleonard57
twitter.com/AnonBabble

The people on Veeky Forums can solve your piddly little calculus problems standing on their head.

james stewart's calculus is a good choice because it's made for self-learning.

amazon.com/Calculus-James-Stewart/dp/1285740629/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1472297369&sr=1-1&keywords=james stewart calculus

you can find all volumes in pdf online for free after some googling

surely there are more strict introductory calculus books out there like spivak, apostol and etc but unless you're looking forward to some unwanted mental masturbation there's really no need for them. it will depend on your goals.

amazon.com/Manga-Guide-Calculus-Hiroyuki-Kojima/dp/1593271948/
amazon.com/Calculus-Intuitive-Physical-Approach-Mathematics/dp/0486404536
amazon.com/Calculus-Analytic-Geometry-George-Simmons/dp/0070576424

kahn academy
patrickjmt

both of these are laid out just like a standard calculus text book
you have no excuse for a poor grade in any basic math class

I won't get a poor grade but I'll have an A or a B and have no fucking idea how to actually do calculus.

>but I'll have an A or a B and have no fucking idea how to actually do calculus.

welcome to college.

;_;
I didn't think it was supposed to be like this.

I have a 3.8gpa but I don't actually have any idea how to do anything, I just know how to pass classes.

Stewart is ass and the lazy bastard doesn't explain things in depth or properly.

Try to understand the reason behind the calculus problems, that will make it easier for you to understand why you are doing what you do (I mean, look for calculus textbooks that are geared toward physics, and have a lot of physics based practice problems). So textbooks like Spiviak are ruled out, because they are designed from a pure math perspective. I don't know of any textbooks that start off with a physics perspective, then become mathier as you go along, but Calculus of a Single Variable by Larson, Hostetler and Edwards may be what you are looking for because it focuses on pictures to describe the concepts of single variable calculus (except continuity, there is no textbook that will help you, you just need to work hard and actively show why the definition of continuity rules out unsmooth functions).

what do you mean? I hear all this hate about Stewart on Veeky Forums - does he just skip pieces of explanation?

Thomas and Finney is a good book.

I think the main issue with it is that it's designed for the masses. I also remember using it for Calculus I and having the "derivatives applied to projectile motion" section come before power rule, where the power rule was casually used without any previous mention.

Larson Calculus 9e. Book was phenomenal

i highly doubt you're just given homework without any sort of online textbook

are you using webassign or mathlab? both are garbage but they come with an online textbook for the course that you can follow along with

It's mymathlab. The textbook we're given is pretty shitty though, or at least it seems shitty.

See tutors. It helps.

This, i taught myself calculus with an old edition from half price books for $7.
Seven fucking dollars OP.
Look on amazon or a local bookstore and I'm sure you can find something cheap from Stewart.

Ignore the memesters who say it's shit. It's perfectly fine for freshman calculus. If an explanation isn't to your liking, google the theorem/problem and you'll find 10,000 different explanations via wikis and professors' websites.There's so much material online for anything below Diff Eq it's not even funny.

e.g.
>tutorial.math.lamar.edu/

Also shredded math bro
>youtube.com/user/professorleonard57

Stewart's calculus is fucking terrible though unless you're already really good at math. My multivariable professor would not stop bitching about how bad it was at teaching every lecture.

Can't*

Use khan academy, Paul's online notes, and Patrick jmt.

ocw.mit.edu

if you're good at math you don't use Stewart. you use apostol or spivak

t. engineer