Are sushi restaurants in other countries, besides Japan obviously, owned by Japanese people...

Are sushi restaurants in other countries, besides Japan obviously, owned by Japanese people? How often are these restaurant's sushi the same standard as one you would find in a Japanese city? I feel like I've been duped in believing I was eating authentic sushi, and not Zhou's hibachi style California roll.

washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2016/09/29/the-fascinating-story-behind-who-opens-sushi-restaurants-and-why/

>I feel like I've been duped in believing I was eating authentic sushi
If you're concerned about "authentic" then stick to Nigiri and Sashimi. Can't fake that.

Does it really fucking matter so long as you enjoy what you're eating?

The meat and egg look a bit under cooked for my taste.

That mashed potato looks nice tho.

>California roll
Nigger if you want fresh fish in your sushi, then you need to live somewhere near the coast. Preferably, somewhere in Japan. Especially if you want 'hibachi' which isn't a sushi style for the record.

>Are sushi restaurants in other countries, besides Japan obviously, owned by Japanese people?

No

>Are sushi restaurants in other countries, besides Japan obviously, owned by Japanese people?
A sizeable portion of the Japanese community has restaurants here in Northern Yurop. But considering the Japanese community here itself is small compared to chinese and SE Asians, they nonetheless make up a smaller minority among Japanese restaurants.

Gordon Ramsey would flip his shit over how raw that is.

it cooks in the pot.

is this normal sushi in america?

Most are owned by real Japanese, occasionally you will see a Thai or Korean owned place but it's rare. The real mystery is where these Japanese people live. They're like leprechauns or duendes, I've never seen them in the 'wild' except on one occasion when I was buying some produce, and about 15 or 20 japanese people walked into the store. I was so bewildered that I questioned my sanity.

I worked at a Sushi Place run by Thai people

i work at a japanese restaurant and the owner is japanese
a sushi place opened up real close and it turns out the owners are korean
alot of koreans make shitty japanese restaurants

Yes, for kids.

you would never be able to tell them from other slant eyes unless they were speaking their moon speak also is right

In france most of the time it's chinese/vietnamese people, not japanese

I don't think I've ever been to a Japanese restaurant in the US that was operated by Japanese people. Its mostly Koreans or Viets, occasionally Chinese

日本人はあまり国外に出て商売しようとはしないからね・・・
何より英語が苦手だし

You sure about that? I work at a Dutch accountancy firm and there are plenty of Japanese businesses opening up here.

Not all of them. Koreans in American like to open japanese restaurants since they're usually more popular.

They're alright.

My favorite sushi place in the area (and the best sushi I've ever eaten in america) is owned and run by a 40-year old Korean dude who lives with his parents.
I've been to a few sushi places and nothing compares

In California they are almost always owned by Koreans or Chinese except in Little Tokyo maybe.

Almost all the sushi restaurants where I live (NorCal) are owned by Japanese people, and the one's that aren't are obvious, because they're owned by Koreans and yeah, it's obvious from the lack of quality and the fact that they'll mix Korean dishes in with the Japanese dishes.

but user how could one be a pretentious cunt otherwise?

Also, has some great okonomiyaki at this restaurant in Amsterdam called... Okonomiyaki
The cook was Asian, assuming Japanese, and he made them over one of those neat metal tables that gets really hot. Guy had some skills but he was the only one making food for all the 10ish tables the place had
Okonomiyaki is really nice desufam