Why is this "pynchon-lite"?

why is this "pynchon-lite"?
v, lot 49, inherent vice, and bleeding edge, are all far simpler than this

enjoying it btw

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/books/comments/3nw141/thoughts_on_pynchons_vineland/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

It's not; it's a lesser-Pynchon. Not the same as Pynchon-lie.

What's a good starting point for Pynchon? Other than lot 49

Lot 49 in the best imo because it's short, so you don't have to invest much, and because it has a lot of that energy that's characteristic of his best stuff. Other than that Inherent Vice is also good because it's easy to read (though not necessarily easy to follow the plot) and is a lot more relaxed, but it's like 400 pages. There's also a movie to go with it.

Seconding Inherent Vice. Like user said, the plot isnt always easy to follow but in the end that is pretty much the point of the whole book. Haven't read TCoL49 yet but V. Was my second Pynchon novel. V. Is more complex but I thoroughly reccomend you read it before starting on his other stuff.

The Pynchon of GR and M&D is a different artist than the Pynchon of Inherent Vice and Vineland. Reading Vineland you're not really reading Pynchon.

Cool, I'll check out Inherent Vice. I already have Lot 49.
Should I watch the movie first? I was kinda wanting to anyway

V. if not Lot 49

I like Inherent Vice but it feels like a weird place to start. feels like introducing someone to DeLillo with The Body Artist. It's a fine piece of work but it's the exact opposite of an introduction, it's hyperspecific, simplified, only echoing his earlier works

watch the movie after. I think the movie is great as a companion piece, good as a standalone detective movie, but a pretty weak adaptation.

if you already have lot 49 i'd really reccomend starting with it though. lot 49 is very much a thematic prequel to inherent vice and a much stronger novel.

Just started reading M&D. Why does the dialogue keep ending in "...?"

It's called lesser-Pynchon because fanboys are adverse to decent literature.

This is utter bullshit. Anyone who's read Pynchon and doesn't just follow the Veeky Forums memes knows Vineland isn't as lesser as it's made out to be. At least more complex than V

Pynchons my fav writer for sure because my fav thing in books is goofs, gags, jokes and rambunctious behavior, and his books are full to the brim of it.
Every novel is like one of those novelty snake cans, you open the book & POP you get a face fulla snakes and you fall back cackling.
The mad mind, the crack genius, to do it! and then you think hmmm whats he gonna do next, this trickster, and you pick the book back up and BZZZZZZZZZZ you get a shock and Hahahahahah you've been pranked again by the old pynchmeister, that card.
"Did that Pynch?" he says, laughing yukyukyukyuk. Watch him as he shoves a pair of plastic buck teeth right up into his mouth and displays em for you- left, right, center- "you like dese? Do i look handsome???"
Pulls out a mirror. "Ah!" Hand to naughty mouth. And you're on your ass again laughing as he snaps his suspenders, exits stage right, and appears again hauling a huge golden gong.

>Vineland is actually my favorite Pynchon book
>I've read everything he's ever published and still think this

Like starting hemingway with the old man and the sea

Opinions on against the day?

Inherent Vice.

No. The Pynchon of GR is a different artist from M&D.

He spent nearly 20 years in silence after GR and then published more than he ever has. I'm sure he's revised his stances since GR.

Who knows...?

I've been meaning to read Vineland but I think I want to reread IV and BE first. Is that dumb?

Pseuds don't know how to handle a book that they can't immediately classify.

> Our unique snowflake author is doing something we didn't expect?
> It's shit!

I suppose this is an appropriate thread to ask this. Just listened to Inherent Vice on audiobook and felt like I did not miss too much as opposed to having to read it. Would I be able to listen to Mason & Dixon and not miss what I would get from reading it? Or is the prose too much like GR and it would be harder to follow?

here's the first page:

>Snow-Balls have flown their Arcs, starr’d the Sides of Outbuildings, as of Cousins, carried Hats away into the brisk Wind off Delaware,— the Sleds are brought in and their Runners carefully dried and greased, shoes deposited in the back Hall, a stocking’d-foot Descent made upon the great Kitchen, in a purposeful Dither since Morning, punctuated by the ringing Lids of various Boilers and Stewing-Pots, fragrant with Pie-Spices, peel’d Fruits, Suet, heated Sugar,— the Children, having all upon the Fly, among rhythmic slaps of Batter and Spoon, coax’d and stolen what they might, proceed, as upon each afternoon all this snowy Advent, to a comfortable Room at the rear of the House, years since given over to their carefree Assaults. Here have come to rest a long scarr’d sawbuck table, with two mismatch’d side-benches, from the Lancaster County branch of the family,— some Second-Street Chippendale, including an interpretation of the senpai’d Chinese Sofa, with a high canopy of yards of purple Stuff that might be drawn all ’round to make a snug, dim tent,— a few odd Chairs sent from England before the War,— mostly Pine and Cherry about, nor much Mahogany, excepting a sinister and wonderful Card Table which exhibits the cheaper Wavelike Grain known in the Trade as Wand’ring Heart...

best read it

I'll never get tired of this pasta.

Can you tell me why this is as succinctly as you can?

Thanks for the speedy reply, my guy

>I've read everything he's ever published and still think this

including his early short stories not present in slow learner? including his forewards? including the letters of wanda tinasky?

>when they walk in the record producer's office that thinks they're aliens

I've started but not finished this.

I plan to return to it soon (before the end of this year).

I tried reading Lot 49. I didn't like it and I quit it. But this one I just was too young for at the time. I look forward to it.

Thanks for remembering it to me, OP.

if you didn't like/couldn't finish lot 49 i don't imagine you'll like vineland very much

To show the Geordie accent...?

reddit.com/r/books/comments/3nw141/thoughts_on_pynchons_vineland/

I think vineland is more immediately rewarding on a page per page basis but as a whole tCoL49 is more solid

Pynchon’s my favorite writer for sure, because my favorite thing in books is goofs, gags, jokes and rambunctious behavior, and his books are filled to the brim with this. Every novel is like one of those novelty snake cans, you open the book and POP you get a face fulla snakes and you fall back cackling. The mad mind, the crack genius, to do it! And then you think “hmmm what’s he gonna do next, this trickster” and you pick the book back up and BZZZZ you get a shock and “hahahaha” you've been pranked again by the old Pynchmeister, that card. “Did that Pynch?” he says, laughing “yukyukyukyuk”. Watch him as he shoves a pair of plastic buck teeth right up his mouth and displays em for you – left, right, center – “You like these? Do I look handsome?” Pulls out a mirror. “Ah!” Hand to naughty mouth. And you're on your ass again laughing as he snaps his suspenders, exits stage right, and reappears hauling a huge golden gong..