From whence

>from whence

>for lack of a better word

And but so

>peoples

>that that

>Quoth.

This bothered me a lot in Arlas Shrugged.

>to-morrow

>but of course

Fuuuuuug, I hate this too, but I can't find another way to put "that that" in better words.

How would you write "I want you to know that that's the truth"?

Could you simply write "I want you to know it's the truth"? Or what about "I want you to know that's the truth"?

What works best in your opinion?

English is fucking disgustan

Good for small talk and internet chat rooms, nothing else

Using 'most' for 'almost'.
Not using adverbs at all.

>hither and tither

All fine.

> Tither
It's 'thither'.

'Hither', 'thither', 'whence', and 'whither' are fine words and people should use them more.

It's perfectly fine, but Virgina Woolf uses the expression a lot and since I don't run into it anywhere else it can get somewhat grating.

'From whence', rather than just whence, is degenerate though

>hitherto
>now ..., now ...,

Now... Now...
Is a Latin device copied into English.

I'm just jealous because I don't have the confidence to use it myself

> Confidence in writing
Just write it, mang.

He was a writer: now scared, now rampant.

no one uses this. source

>cannot
ishygddt

>unbeknownst

>countenance

For fucks sake Poe, how many times can you use that word?

>raven
What is raven?
We just don't know

Ohhhh so spooky le raven le never leaves! And says nevermore a ton! Wow it rhymes with lenore!! Bravo Edgar

As long as readers bear in mind that that "that" that appears first serves a different purpose than that "that" that comes second they should have no trouble understanding.

What, are you reading comics from the 1910s? It's just how they wrote that word about 100 years ago. you dont see it anymore

>pic related

>t. Esperanto speaker

hahahahahahahahaha

>Using 'most' for 'almost'.
Never once seen this.

It's like that in Huck finn

>What, are you reading comics from the 1910s?

I read The Big Sleep for you and that shit drove me up the fucking wall, he kept using the word(s?) over and over and over again too

You will. Especially from Americans.

>in and of itself

> overuse/misuse of 'per se'

>using an inflexed creole
>like "English"

>Alas,...

>shewn

>the trash heap of history

>chapter ends with the character falling unconscious

>you came

'...' instead of "..."

"..." said the character instead of "..." the character said.

in your muslim mummy

>aforementioned

I can no longer say "I'm coming", or "He's coming", or anything of that sort ever again without taking myself seriously anymore.

Even when I'm speaking to another person, I hesitate when I have to tell someone that "I'm coming" or that "My friend came".

FUCK YOU, SEX SLANG. STOP DEGENERATING THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE. REEEEEEEEEEE.

The first one is preferred in British English. There's nothing wrong with the second.

Grow up.

Nothing wrong with these.

I wonder how many people in this thread understand that the issue with 'from whence' is that it's tautological, and not that it's uncommon in contemporary usage.

And whence also sounds like the word wince. so cringe

It's a meme, Nigel. You wouldn't understand.

Where are you from that that's the case?

>"Words". Instead of "Words."

yes, I know it is a birtbong vs amerifat thing

most everything

Which is which? I always include the full stop in my quotation marks, but only because that's how it works in German and nobody has thus far told me it's wrong.

Punctuation goes inside the quotation marks in America and outside in England. I don't know if that holds when quoting an entire sentence.

>different purpose than

Sorry, I should have said periods and commas, not "punctuation." Other punctuation doesn't always follow this rule.

As a bona fide bong, I find that I have been so completely and utterly subject to these particular American quirks, that I cannot use punctuation outside of quotes or single quote marks for speech without wanting to tear my eyes out.

Central florida

Just do it outside, it's a useful habit for academic writing.

innit m8 lol dont be jelly. I saw a thing that said americans have the original english pronounciation, but some noble dorks around the 1800s made the british accents as we hear now

>it's a useful for habit for masturbation

Doing that outside will probably get you in trouble.

Depends entirely on the academic area. For example, legal scholarship is written with American rules.

You should perfectly follow the grammar rules of your area in all writing that is not "literary."

In what field? I had to write papers for literature, psychology, history, and anthropology and all used American conventions.

What are the 'rules' for the area regarding using semen to write on your mother's face, 'your mum is a slut' or words to that effect?

The general rule for that is "Do not do it." Of course, like all good rules, there are exceptions.

Grammar quiz:

How do you make "McDonald's" possessive?

More likely is that pronunciation was more nasal (which admittedly can seem like the main characteristic of american accents now)

It's already possessive :^)

No, "but of course" is dumb, just say, "of course". "From whence" is also terrible since it is redundant, since "whence" means "from where".

Incorrect. No gold star for you, user. Try a little harder next time.

McDonald'z

McDonald's is already possessive. Not in the way you were asking though. Hence the smug emoticon.

No, it's not.

Are you pretending to be retarded?

From whence shall we expect the approach of danger?
Shall some trans-Atlantic military giant step the earth and crush us at a blow?
Never.
All the armies of Europe and Asia could not by force take a drink from the Ohio River
or make a track on the Blue Ridge in the trial of a thousand years.
No, if destruction be our lot
we must ourselves be its author and finisher.
As a nation of free men we will live forever or die by suicide.

THERE'LL BE NO MORE COUNTING THE CARS ON THE GARDEN STATE PARKWAY

It is a name. It isn't possessive. Just because it has a "'s" doesn't make it possessive. You sure are bad at this quiz.

10/10 came here to post this

O, that that earth which kept the world in awe. Should patch a wall t' expel the winter's flaw!

Can't hear those words without hearing that album

Never said 'from whence' was fine.

But 'but of course' has added sense of disjunction from the preceding clause. It's fine.

Possessive of 'McDonald's' is 'McDonald's'.

What is the apostrophe-s for then?
McDonald's Hamburgers, you retard

almost threw siddhartha out of the window cos of this shit

I think he was joking about McDonald's being pretty known throughout the world senpai

shall we expect the approach of danger

Ta forever

It's just part of the name. You're awfully slow.

Nope. Nice try though.

This just proves that people were dumber back then

Stop being a contrarian teenager.

From their website.

Mc'Donald's's?

9/10 desu

Yis like yer mcdonald'ses don't yis ya cunts yis

They are wrong too. You think McDonald's hired a grammarian to write their website?
Nope.

The correct answer is that you can't make it possessive. You have to restructure your sentences to avoid the issue.

Well the gap has narrowed between whence and from whence so if you're arguing that from whence is an illegitimate grammatical construct it would follow that we are actually getting dumber over time.

>it's a rule because I say it is

The correct whence slope changed more drastically, but whence the useage of the word whence faded over time and thus a smaller sample size into the future, thence the singularity approaches, hence a smarter future than past.

[Spoiler]I barely glanced at it before my original post and just saw the filename as "from whence is legitimate", so presumed the red was from whence, hehe whoops[/spoiler]

Lick Strunk's nuts:

Form the possessive singular of nouns with 's.
Follow this rule whatever the final consonant.
Thus write,

Charles's friend
Burns's poems
the witch's malice

This is the usage of the United States Government Printing Office and of the
Oxford University Press.

So you would get rid of the apostrophe in the non-possessive Mc'Donald's? That apostrophe is a key part in their name as registered for business, so spelling it McDonalds's would be spelling a non-existing entity...

I don't see what this has to do with my post, we weren't talking about that apostrophe.