I understand that this board is essentially worthless for constructive discussion or learning...

I understand that this board is essentially worthless for constructive discussion or learning, but as the rest of the internet is at least doubly so, i thought i'd ask;

I'm interested in reading nietzsche, but would like some recommendations before starting. As it seems his education and turns of phrase are a little obtuse to someone without a university level education.

However, by all means, feel free to continue your un-examined shitposting about fifty shades of grey.

You're so blatantly a newfag and your patronising tone is so misguided as to the realities of this shitty board that you should honestly kill yourself because with that narcissism its no wonder youre unhappy in life and looking on fucking Veeky Forums to learn how to get started with nietzsche

he's easy to read and if you cant understand him you're a bonehead. start with birth of tragedy and genealogy of morals.

You're clearly either a neckbeard from /pol/ or a teenager from /b/ so maybe you should stick to the wiki summaries

Start with meinkampf I heard thats pretty good

I see this board is the joke I thought it was.

Agreed with this poster. Finny picture btw, OP. Did you save it and wait for the best time to use it? Kill yourself

And because I ironically pity you, OP

Pictured, and get Beyond Good & Evil full copy when you get to the excerpts in Portable, and also get at lease Geneaology after that

Plato

>recommendations

At a bare minimum you should read these:

Plato- Republic, Euthyphro

Aristotle- Nichomachean Ethics, Poetics

Sophocles

Aeschylus

St. Augustine- Confessions (reading City of God for a better understanding of Christian ethics would be helpful as well)

Spinoza- Ethics

Schopenhauer- The World as Will and Representation

Kant- Groundwork of the Metaphysic of Morals

Obviously you'll need to read numerous other works to familiarize yourself with the likes of these philosophers as well, but I don't feel like wasting my time writing them all out when I don't foresee you actually reading them. You just want to impress your moron buddies with how deep you are, right?

Is all of that REALLY necessary? Outside of some Greek/modern/etc? We have the Internet now, so it makes it pretty easy to google his references as you get to them (so you can look up what he means in his 2 or so references to St Augustine without having to read his whole, gadamn catalog or whatever)

If youre a decent-enough thinker OP (youre not), you could probably get by with whatever philosophical backings you read before him, if you're enough of a cow-reader that can digest and not gloss over sentences

>You just want to impress your moron buddies with how deep you are, right?

Actually i find myself with a good 7 months of free time before the move to another country, and wanted to tackle some books i've always wanted to read but never had the time.

Appreciate it.

I've read most of those, though.

Except kant.

Really couldn't stomach it.

>If youre a decent-enough thinker OP (youre not)
What gave you that impression, user.

Because you think Nietzsche is hard without college education. Most people understand his core ideas in High School

>Because you think Nietzsche is hard without college education.

No, i feel that to fully appreciate a philosophy it requires more than shitposting on Veeky Forums and skimming wikipedia articles.

WELL I ALREADY GAVE YOU THE CORRECT ORDER WITH THE PORTABLE NIETZSCHE PICTURE YOU UNGRATEFUL FUCKING SHIT FAGGOT. GET THE FUCK OUT OF THIS BOARD AND ACTUALLY LEARN HOW TO READ. HOPEFULLY YOULL DIE SOON IN A FIERY ACCIDENT, BECAUSE THIS BOARD DOESNT NEED ANY NEWFAGGOTS LIKE YOU IN IT, LET ALONE THIS WORLD

If you consider this humour, i can assure you that it's not.

You're not offending me in the slightest, your projecting is a sad mean to mask your own ignorance. If you really want to understand Philosophy you need to start with the Greeks. There are no shortcuts. Perhaps you will learn to be humble in the way.
Free hint: Note down every reference Homer makes to the ocean/sea, and go read Thales of Miletus straight after the Odissey

Humor?

>Start with the greeks.

This board is truly beyond redemption.

It's impossible to understand Descartes without reading Plato and Aristotle in the bare minimum

I know you're baiting but I don't care, I'm providing good advice and you're just "merely pretending" to be retarded

Catch up before recommending me philosophy, charlatan

Plato was right in The Republic; they shouldve purged all of their degenerate poems and books after modern/continental/analytical/post-modern/pragmatism/etc philosophies got done with them

>Catching up
>With a guy that can't get Nietzsche

who asks someone for something whilst simultaneously insulting them? Veeky Forums is usually less harsh when it comes to giving recommendations (compared to other boards), but your attitude is just plain autistic man. Whatever happened to asking nicely? Do you talk shit to the cashier when you ask them to bag your groceries? Jesus, I know this is Veeky Forums, but I'd assume most people have the basic social skills to understand how to request for something without sounding like an absolute douche

If i call a group of people stupid, and you think i'm talking to you, chances are you're an idiot.

I dont think it's as much the "being singled out" bit as it is the fact that you sound like an inherently shitty person

This post reeks of 16 year old. Go outside and have fun instead of wasting your youth on boring adult stuff. You'll thank me when you're older.

If I call all men stupid, and you're a man, then I'm calling you stupid. If you call Veeky Forums a worthless place, then you're calling all of us posters worthless. Then you're asking us worthless posters for recommendations. What the fuck are you talking about? You sound like a typical arrogant high school outcast who doesn't know how to communicate with normal people

lol