I fully acknowledge this is a soft-science question but memes aside, are there actually more than two genders...

I fully acknowledge this is a soft-science question but memes aside, are there actually more than two genders, Veeky Forums? And is being transgender a mental illness?
I genuinely want to know this after talking to some people at a party that are majoring in some soft science. Is it all just a meme? Please show me the truth

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=udLKnSDz0mM
webmd.com/mental-health/gender-dysphoria
pnas.org/content/110/24/9968.full?sid=ebe2d8ea-4e30-4c82-9b46-2a2c446e5046
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sex_chromosome_disorders
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Being trans means you have GID.
Which is a mental illness.

youtube.com/watch?v=udLKnSDz0mM

this might be useful

keep in mind that the author might be spot on, might be somewhat wrong, or completely wrong, and you wont be able to tell the difference until you research more

I always thought of it in the same vein as body dysmorphia (a mental disorder).

Hmm. So this TL;DR fellow seems to be saying that biological sex cannot be non-binary - that there are only two sexes - he was a bit less clear about gender (which was the op). I'm still not sure after this video if there are more than two genders or if being transgender is an illness.
Otherwise, good video user. I did get some insight into some other stuff I wasn't sure about.

An illness is only an illness if it becomes a problem. A disorder and an illness are completely different things, a disorder is anything considered not normal, which isn't necessarily bad. There is no cure for believing you're trans no matter how much the right wing believes there is. This means that it's up to you if you want to perceive it as an illness or just a disorder.

I think there are generic anomalies with different chromosome configurations than XY or XX but I don't know if any of them are considered to be alternative sexes to male and female.

So transgender is objectively a disorder then? Like can I claim that and be both politically and medically correct?

TLDR argues that different chromosome anomalies don't constitute a different gender. I am wondering if this is correct or just his opinion.

>There is no cure for believing you're trans
what are you even trying to say?
that we cant change that?

Yeah pretty much webmd.com/mental-health/gender-dysphoria

Maybe as more is learned about the disorder a cure may arise who knows. But as of now the recommended treatment is to come to terms with the disorder and not try to fight it. Fighting it can lead to a whole bunch of other mental illnesses.

>Maybe as more is learned about the disorder a cure may arise who knows

well, then i just want to note that we are already capable of changing sexual orientation in mice

this was cited as source
pnas.org/content/110/24/9968.full?sid=ebe2d8ea-4e30-4c82-9b46-2a2c446e5046

Transgender includes any individual who believes themselves to be on a spectrum from feminine to masculine, rather than only one or the other. So, as the feminist movement defines it every single person is transgender. No one is 100% masculine or 100% feminine, we all have elements of both. Thus an individual's personality is not defined by their birth sex, which is totally logical and sensible. There are metro guys or tomboy girls, both examples of transgenders under the feminist definition. Transgender does make sense.

Maybe you meant transsexual? 95%+ of all transgender individuals never get hormone treatment or change themselves medically. Transsexuals on the other hand do are the individuals who have sex change operations. I myself could care less about it, but i am confused on how it plays into feminism. As feminism is against the gender binary and changing one's sex feeds into that system of being a man or woman in totality, rather than on a spectrum.

That's great, hopefully they develop it to work with humans soon so that anyone with the disorder who wants to be normal can choose to do it. Still doesn't change the fact that right now shaming people for having an incurable disorder does nothing but harm.

*via genetic engineering

If everyone is something, the word loses its meaning and we might as well drop it.

hermaphrodites, autogamy and asexual reproduction exist in the animal kingdom. humans only have man, woman and a combo of the two. that's it. oh, and attack helicopters. so 4.

As someone who sexually identifies as a firetruck this post disturbs me.

My desire burns for you, user.

>tfw qt mtf gf who's doing a stem career

ikr

It is a meme.
Identifying as something is different than having such and such properties.

It's just a social construct. The only thing that should be relevant is what chromosomes you have.

shit user, she looks like that, although whiter and a more feminine face.
been taking hrt since 16-7 iirc.

>are there more than 2 genders
This is a complicated question to answer. Gender as a form of behavior is indeed linked to biological sex, but at the same time there are people who don't follow those extremes. The problem here is to reduce gender to a simple, social invention that can be simply discarded. For me this is just innocent and dumb. Gender only exists because biological sex exists, so gender will aways be linked to a feminine-masculine duality, therefore is IS possible to not follow a gender role but you will only achieve this by activelly TRYING and making effort to do so, nobody is naturally genderless.
>is it mental illness
Having one biological sex and identifyind with the other is indeed a mental illness. It is called Gender Dysphoria.

Ok. I'm not sure about the gender thing. But as far as biological *sex* goes, there are indeed people who are biologically intersex.

There are many reasons a person can be born intersex. There are chromosomal abnormalities (e.g. look up XXY or Kleinfelter syndrome). Sometimes people are born with ambiguous genitalia for other reasons (hormonal issues in the womb? genetic problems other than chromosomal disorders? I'm not an expert).

Look up the terms "intersex" and "hermaphrodite". It's very real, but rare.

But those mutations are biased towards certain chromosomes.

If you define life at conception, which it is in the states, then your sex should be determined by what you would have been barring mutation.

if transgenders aren't considered mentally ill, 'otherkin' (people who think they are an animal trapped in a humans body) should be considered normal as well. do we really want that?

Read the thread moron, stop thinking you know everything without research. Disorder is not the same as illness. Tell me one good reason we should be shaming people who identify as whatever they identify as and thereby creating mental illness as a result?

transhomo detected

This is a science board, science involves doubt, take your beliefs elsewhere.

ok, i 'doubt' that you're sane

I don't think how you dress or act is a mental illness, but people who want to biologically change sexes are 100% deeply disturbed.

what if i don't dress at all and act like a monkey

If by gender you are referring to Gender Identity then yeah there are as many as you can be bothered making up. If you are using the term as synonymous with sex then there are their are either 2 or 3 depending on how you want to define things

What you're not seeing is that it is due to serotonin. People can experience a lack of serotonin due to depression. You can be depressed in relation to your environment more often than not. Otherwise people would not experience depression later in life as opposed to experiencing it since birth. It appears, in this study, that a lack of serotonin can result in homosexual behavior.

Too basic. Chromosomes don't tell the full story, since they say little about fertility. Truthfully, the only relevant characteristics are capability of healthy gamete production and ability to carry offspring to term. Everything else is just word games that people honestly fuss too much about.

Although there is a point to be made that gender serves the role of identifying and advertising the aforementioned capability ("Look, I can get pregnant", "Look, I can impregnate."). In that light, the idea of more than two genders is idiotic - if you "feel" like a woman but have all the organs and functions of a man, then you're simply wrong. By "presenting" as a female, you'd be misleading everyone.

>But those mutations are biased towards certain chromosomes.

What? What does that even mean?

>what you would have been barring mutation

Again, what? How would anyone know what a person would have been "barring mutation"? The mutation *makes* the person. . .

>are there actually more than two genders, Veeky Forums?
>And is being transgender a mental illness?
Both questions are a bit more complex than they look. This is my understanding of the topic:

"Gender" is fairly vaguely defined, and describes different traits in different contexts. For that matter, "sex" is also ambiguous, and can refer to different things that may-or-may-not overlap with gender. Typically though, "gender" is used to either mean social standards or psychological identification, both of which are spectra. "Sex" usually refers to genetics or physiology, winch are (mostly) binary.
tl;dr; English is hard. Biology is hard. Both together is ridiculous.

As for transgenderism being a mental illness - probably not. However, transgenderism is usually a direct cause of GID (gender identity disorder), which IS considered a mental illness. It's worth pointing out that transitioning is usually regarded (when combined with therapy) as an effective treatment for GID.

>It's just a social construct.
Why the hell has everyone on Veeky Forums convinced themselves that "social construct" is a fancy way of saying "not real"?
Laws are a social construct. Countries are a social construct. Wars are social construct. Language is a social construct.

>Truthfully, the only relevant characteristics are capability of healthy gamete production and ability to carry offspring to term.
That's a functional definition of sexual characteristics, but it obviously fails if you try and apply it to individuals - a woman past menopause is still female. And you're ignoring the entirety of social behaviour, which isn't a good idea if you're talking about people.

>if you "feel" like a woman but have all the organs and functions of a man, then you're simply wrong.
That's a misunderstand of what transgenderism is. No-one is going around claiming their bathroom mirror is lying to them about the contents of their pants.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sex_chromosome_disorders

The disorders only develop in what would have been a normal male or female.
This suggests that there are only two sexes.