How many people actually cook on Veeky Forums?

It seems more or less that it's picky eaters from /b/ or shitposters from /pol/

How many of you ACTUALLY cook and create food? Paid cooks and home chefs alike.

Has this board always been plagued?

Well the boards name is "Food & Cooking" and not "just Cooking" so calm down.

Just here to hate niggers senpai.

Sounds to me like some nigga is pissed that we didn't liked his chicken and watermelon sandwhich.

>it's a "I FOLLOWED A RECIPE SO I'M GOING TO JERK MYSELF OFF TO HOW MUCH OF A "HOME CHEF" I AM"
Also working at Applebee's does not make you a "paid cook"

I cook everyday, not professionally, only for myself. I don't think it's bad to have non-cookers on Veeky Forums, they still add to discussion.

Veeky Forums is satire

Allright. I whimsically shitpost sometimes, but also give recipes that I have made. What do you want to cook, or are you just shitposting?

I actually cook pretty often, but I basically only shitpost when I'm on Veeky Forums

I made a stir fry today.

Part of the living arrangement at my college involves a mandatory unlimited meal plan for everyone who lives on-campus. If it wasn't for that (or the fact that I would need to check out shitty equipment from my dorm) I'd cook more often.

I still browse Veeky Forums for future inspo though.

im a professional cook, worked 12-13 years or so in kitchens, but honestly I lurk here more then dole out advice or comment on posts just because this board happens to be related to my work. I avoid fast food and jack/youtube threads like joey or review brah, if I do post in a threads its usually because its interesting.

I the work as a cook really so stressful as they say?

I cooked cheesy beef rice today. So sure I cook.

Can be, but for the most part I've got enough years under my belt that affords me a certain clout when it comes to work, I work the veg station and get a little bit of freedom and creativity, I've been a sous chef 3 times and a head chef once, all great jobs, but for me a lot of that management stuff was just plain annoying for honestly not that much more pay, plus working brunch doubles is the souschefs game for the most part and I absolutely fucking hate working brunch and then dinner, 2 services in a day is fucking stressful, I can cope but I simply don't want too have to do that shit anymore.

I have a good boss, my chef is a solid dude, the GM is a great guy, the owner is kind of a dork but thats owners in general, rarely do you meet a cool one, or one that understands fully the business they own.

I can never stop doing this though, my body is always sore and shit don't get me wrong, and 11-12 hour days with nothing but a few smokes breaks are pretty common, but its such a lovely fucking industry to be in if you can deal with the stress, honest good hardworking people make up a majority of our staff as well, there are a few shitters but we're a big enough restaurant that not all members of staff can be winners, one in the kitchen and 3 on the dining room floor, but other then that I like my co workers, which really helps in having a positive work atmosphere.

I've seen a LOT of dudes in my day that are total pieces of shit, those are the real stressful places to work. Everyone has to be on the same page in a restaurant, its the only way one can ever succeed, and where I work now has that, so its not so stressful.

I used to post OC but since this place is full of plebs I no longer bother

Yes, this board has always been plagued, but there's a lot of people who actually do cook. I used to be a professional cook when I was younger, now I just cook for family and friends and do the odd catering job for people I like.

Grill/line cook. Did a bunch of catering for thanksgiving the last couple days. Cheese/fruit plates, pudding, cakes, and a lot of prep too. There's a lot of cooks here. Both professional and home cooks. Someone should make a kitchen job general, we used to have a lot of those threads.

Anyway after you sift through all the bullshit here you'll find some good tips/information just like most popular boards

I had a protein shake for breakfast, bowl of cereal and banana for lunch, for dinner I'll probably order a pizza.

Rate my life.

CdP who has worked in 4 continents and in English and French speaking kitchens.

Just signed off an 11 plus our shift. Due back in the kitchen in a little over 8 hours...

If you are paid to cook you are literally a paid cook.

It is in the name dumbass.

I make food. not as much as other people, but I do do it, and it's generally in that context that I come here.
I think if fastfood was as cheap as in america I'd be in the same boat

yes

we are plagued by fast food land whales

food noobs "what do I cook with X", "how do I cook rice"

pic related what I cooked ten minutes ago
soba noodle salad
gyoza
lotus root and red miso soup

>Home appliance manufacturer Samsung surveyed 2,000 British parents, asking them to name the dishes they believed children should be able to cook by the age of 11.

how many of these can you make Veeky Forums?

>food noobs "what do I cook with X", "how do I cook rice"
what's wrong with this, you elitist.

not even sure what all of these are.
I guess I could wing most of it tho

I have chicken marinating in 3 different marinades right now

Made this for breakfast before heading off to work on this Thanksgiving day.

I made 9 of them, could probably make most of them if I knew what the fuck they are

there is nothing wrong with being a noob, but the balance of Veeky Forums is at the point where ou can't rely on the advice of anons anymore

it's the blind leading the blind

which ones confuse you?

me, I couldn't make a victoria sponge now. that is too hard for a child surely.

Dude, you have to start somewhere. I'm trying to get into cooking as a hobby/ timesink. Should I just try heating up random things until I create the five mother sauces and a souffle?

A bit ambitious for an 11 year old.

Both my parents worked when I was young and most of that list I could make, except:

Pizza from scratch?? . .I didn't know how to do dough, - does any 11 year old?
The cakes I could make from recipe but looking at the list, I could probably do 20.

t.Bong

the fuck is a dippy egg and soldiers?

A boiled egg and fingers of toast to dip in the yolk you homo

I cook. I am a pretty good home cook.

I normally cook by memory or adhoc it. If i am to make a particular recipe i will look at the major parts of the recipe but introduce and remove whatever minor ingredients spices or processes i feel like.

I think the flexibility came about due to growing up in a 3rd world country and many online ingredients say shit like

>just pop down to the store and get some pre made xxxxx
>use a can of yyyyy its pretty cheap

Well nigger i have to make xxxxx from scratch and yyyyyy costs a weeks wage.

I am pretty chill regularly but for some reason if i fuck up eggs in any way, particularly an omelet flip i really have to practice some major goosfraba or i end up wrecking the kitchen.

>Veeky Forums doesn't actually cook
This is a retarded meme, the vast majority of people cook, why would you think Veeky Forums of all places would have the select few who doesn't cook?

11, 22 and 25 are the only things i havent made.

I would say an 11 year old could make all of those with adult supervision but without supervision they could on manage the very basics like cheese on.bread and porridge.

Some of those things take patience and caution.

What 11 year old has the patience to wait for a pizza dough to rise and to remember it is rising or the caution to not cover themselves in high temp stir fry?

The amount of fast food threads is a good indicator

>The amount of fast food threads is a good indicator
This.

I also noticed a thread a couple of weeks back regarding Chicken Kievs and It was quite apparent that nobody had actually made any?

Sure, there were links to videos and suggestions copied from watching GR or MPW but when I looked deeper, the phrases of "I would do this.." or "The best way is . . ."??

I never saw one person say anything in the past tense. Strange.

I feel like most of the shitposters genuinely enjoy cooking, but don't feel the need to take it seriously 100% of the time. It takes at least a little bit of cooking knowledge to fully appreciate the humour of Ja/ck/ or Kay.

The difference between Jack and Kay is that Kay has a laugh and doesn't take herself too seriously, Jack on the other hand . .

I think that at least 90% of anons here cook.
But a lot of them are shitty cooks, like me, who barely can make a nice meal for dinner.
However, i doubt that many professional cooks can handle the shitposting here.

The pros are the shittiest posters
They may not be shit posters as they takr their posts seriously but is is akin to a plumber in /diy/ who thinks that unless you are a plumber you cant change a washer in the end of a hose or like i have seen on/n/ a dockhand arguing with some dude on a ship claiming he knows more about ships because he is a dockhand

If you are trying to learn then you shouldn't be posting about it or asking for advice
Start by achieving feeding yourself without precooked shit
Once you are able to do that start adding to it, you will reach a point eventually where you do need help

Fairy cakes
Jacked potato
Everything else that has a wierd name I never heard

1. Split the board into two distinct entities.
2. Create a sticky for the cooking board.
3. Move all YouTube bullshit to /tv/.
4. Ban animu posts or move them to an appropriate board.
5. Relegate all junk food McDonald's type crap to the food only board.

fairy cakes are cupcakes. and a jacket potato is a baked potato - its 'jacket' being the skin.

Britchap here:

A Jacket Potato is just a Baked potato.

And Fairy cakes are just individual cup-cake sponge things.

>split a slow board in half so we can have a safe space for us vegans, weaboos and tea drinkers

Yep.
Also Veeky Forums isn't a particularly slow board.
Lurk moar, newfag.

I've been here longer than you nigger

Doubtful given that you are using racial slurs on a blue board.

The only thing that cheeses me off are the American threads.
They are either - Fast food. Pizzas/Burgers/etc
or "What's your favorite brand of X"?

The weeaboo and vegan stuff are a pretentious pain but provided it's kept to a minimum, tolerable.

Retarded idea. You would lose all crossover between food and cooking discussion, half the board's traffic, and most of the people who come for food and stay for cooking.

The only problem is pretentious fucks like you who don't have the ability to ignore stuff they don't like. For every malicious shitpost in a vegan or Thai food thread, there are a dozen of you fucks bumping pizza and McDonald's threads complaining about how it isn't real food. And you wonder why trolls keep posting them.

What's wrong with discussing a hobby with others who share it?

Those are not fairy cakes you faggot, fairy cakes have wings hence the name aka butterfly cakes/ buns for the same reason

Been in the restaurant business a long time. Started out as a drug and alcohol fueled job. Got straight and turned it into a career. Now own my own place and love it. Very successful and live a very comfortable life.

I'm a shitposter from pol but I'm a professional cook

Dear Wa/pol/ - has working in your industry amplified your convinction in your beliefs? I know someone who is a kitchen boss (no idea if he cooks - his job seems to be mostly ordering grizzled immigrants around) and he is definitely pretty redpilled as a consequence.

BritBong here, a 11 year old should be able to do all these fine? Unless they don't have parents. Poor Annie.

>Poor Annie.

this desu

what is that?

>11 year-olds
>Sponge cake

Am I being meme'd on?

I just made some 16 for dinner. 21 years old though - not 11.

Looks like hashbrowns with meat, veggies and eggs.

There isn't a single one an 11 year old of average intelligence should be incapable of doing alone. Most 11 year olds won't have made all of these if they have even cooked at all, but it's worrying how many of you are admitting you wouldn't have been able to cook a fucking sponge cake at the age of 11. Are you just really old and you've forgotten what it was like to be that age?

This.
Didn't you people have Home Ec?
Everyone I know learned how to cook in elementary school.

Why do you assume that anybody who can cook and who enjoys cooking always has the time and energy to cook and also hates junk food?

I'm a home cook.

You misunderstood my post. A lot of people don't learn to cook until adulthood, and have barely cooked a thing by age 11, but I don't think the things on that list are beyond their capabilities.

Not him but the reason those threads are constantly bumped is because good oc here takes a minimum of 15 minutes to make. It takes 15 seconds to shitpost, by the boards very nature it was doomed to be a shitshow

Are you saying every post which doesn't contain a picture of food you just cooked is shitposting?

There's a big difference between baking an oily, eggy brick and calling it a sponge cake and baking an actual sponge cake.

I love to cook, and do lots of it. Made my family's Thanksgiving dinner all by myself yesterday. I've been working in the industry as FOH for the past 5 years.

Professional cooks are the most batshit people you'll ever meet. If anything, they're the ones shitposting on Veeky Forums. Fucking animals, I swear

I spend about 20 minutes at work looking around the internet for a recipe that I think looks good, and then I adapt it to what I feel would be good. More often then not, it turns out edible but not amazing but practice makes perfect.