Bookshelf thread

Bookshelf thread

1/5

2/5

This is the end of the first shelf

3/5
Foreign, stuff.

Thanks for coming down to Veeky Forums good buddy, no need to post 5 and 5, we already know it's shit.

4/5

End of the foreign stuff

5/5

The chinese stuff.
Confucianism,Taoism and the likes.

1/4

2/4

3/4

4/4

How much money did you have that those cost you "every cent" you have? Like are we talking one paycheck and that's all one haul or what?

Thank you very much.

Yeah it's been over the course of like 3 months. I have just about everything I could have asked for on my wish list, I can't even think of anything else I would want to add to it at this point, I finished a couple of the books since I started the collection, the picture of dorian grey and the stranger. I put down la bas for a while because I was skeptical about the translation I picked up, but I think I will go back to it after deciding I was going to read gravity's rainbow next and discovering that it was so difficult.

Well this thread is already a disaster. Par for the course.

>I can't even think of anything else I would want to add to it at this point
well, that's not true, what I meant to say is that I have a satisfying amount of books to keep me busy for a really long time before I buy anything else, everything that was most interesting to me I have in my library, and I have more in my wish list but I will probably wait a while before I spend any more money on books. I also got a new amp for my guitar and this swans poster that was specially printed for this concert I went to, that they were sold out of but I happened to find another one direct from the manufacturer of the original, thankfully. I've just been spending money like fucking crazy lately, man lol.

Why did you buy so many books and put them on display without having read them? Seems like expensive decorating.

Uh, the point is that I wanna read them. And they're actually not "on display", they're in a corner of my bedroom and in a glass case in my living room, so it's not exactly like I'm displaying them to show off my collection or anything. Hell, I'm a loner and I don't have people over to my house anyways, so rest assured to you this isn't "decorating".

Did some organizing but idk why. I'm about to move it all back to my full time apartment and will have to reorganize again to combine this shelf with the rest.

Just found some old Steinbeck's... The paper quality is incredible.

>never heard of Matthew Stokoe
>look it up on Amazon
>it's literally some /r9k/ shutin's deranged fantasy

good grief what a heap of shit. does he shriek about wanting "tendies" on the next page?

nevermind him magyarman, nice shelves.

hows your german coming along?

I like disturbing subversive shit, what can I say? The book sounded really good lol.

Tried sorting according to publisher, I don't know how you can stand to look at anything else on your bookshelves

1/5

2/5

3/5

>inb4 manga hate

4/5

5/5

For those wondering, I am super OCD about keeping my books in pristine condition. The ones that are damaged are either pre-owned, excessively read, or taken day after day to a class.

1/9

2/9

3/9

4/9

Lol a Mexican weeb. Now I've seen it all.

5/9

>platon
>not plato to stick with the mexican theme of homero, virgilio, etc.

6/9

Does that edition of Oxford have etymological entries?

7/9

Everybody has a little bit of weeb in them, user

8/9

9/9

Plus some other +550 PDF files and ebooks.

You ain't seen shit, bruv.

What? We call him Platón in Spanish. If anything, it continues the theme.

No, it doesn't.

How? You got rid of the ending "o". Only way it could have been better than Plato is if it was Platolio

Oh, I get what you are trying to say.

Well, it can't be helped, I guess.

>manga in english

Only Railgun is in English. Yotsuba is in Japanese, the rest is in French.

Underworld looks untouched

Many of them are untouched. I've had a few good hauls this summer at various local shops. That said, it's fucking stupid to use a hardcover as the example for that.

Are you the guy who has the really nice chair and used to stack your books on the floor?

No.

Damn... That guy knew his furniture and I'm looking for his advice. Oh well.

>dante out of order
>aeneid between iliad and odyssey
>"basic works" of anything

why

I can't believe I never noticed that (possibly because it was close to the ground and I placed those books rapidly).

My OCD is getting the best of me, so I will have to correct this

>"basic works" of anything

Those were from when I was testing the waters of philosophy and had no idea where to start. I wish I had known about Kahn's "Classics of Western Philosophy", but over time I accumulated more primary sources.

I still like basic work books as anthologies and for their frequent collections of rarely printed work (in particular, "The Basic Works of Bertrand Russell" has a lot of random cool shit in it).

los de Engels y Zizek los conseguiste en Soriana verdad? hehe lastima que ya no manejan ese tipo de libros

1/7

3/7

2/7

4/7

5/7

6/7

7/7

Does the German government require every household to own a complete Goethe collection?

What do you want? He's the only world-class author they've got.

Not ridiculing or anything it's just that every time I see a German post here, they always have a complete Goethe in one form or another.

I know. I was just joking.
There are plenty of German writers, but it seems as if there were only Goethe, Schiller and Hegel.

En Gandhi en realidad. Son baratos pero buenos.

he seems to be atleast half danish? though, but its nice that hes trying to abide by the customs

What edition of "The Story of Philosophy" is that? Mine's so short and the font's so small it's annoying to write in.

would you recc those textbooks?

Depends on the textbook. In many cases, you can find better for cheaper. However in a lot of those cases, they are also far more complicated. For example, the chemistry textbook was something like $300 at the time, but was effectively the same material as my $25 General Chemistry book by Linus Pauling. The upside is that the big ass textbook is much simpler to understand, has more examples solved in the book, and significantly more practice problems.

This is mostly the same with other textbooks too. I would certainly recommend the chemistry, physics, calculus, and pre-calculus books, but they are very expensive unless you find a used copy (perhaps of an older edition).

When it comes to philosophy it completely depends on what kind of depth you want. Kahn's "Classics of Western Philosophy" is pretty much a be-all-end-all anthology of philosophy. It pretty much covers everything sans a lot of 20th century philosophy.

tell me about those pale blue textbooks at the bottom of 3/5 including the fat quantum mechanic book

Those are from a series of reprints of heavily used textbooks from the past. They are cheap, but they are EXTREMELY complicated. I would recommend something far more modern than those (also, I have trouble believing they are for undergrads too, but I think they were. If true, man do newer textbooks rock for not being that level of AIDS).

Personally I have been considering getting a different QM book, because it is hard for me to get anything out of the dover edition (I have tried, and failed because it is Heidegger tier incomprehensible). I was going to go with the standard Griffith text, paperback international edition used. Amazon has them for like $10-15.

However that would mostly be for practice problems anyways. If you want AMAZING physics textbooks that are cheap, and don't mind the complete lack of practice problems (can always get a book with those), then I highly recommend R. Shankar's "Fundamentals of Physics" I and II. They cover pretty much all major undergrad physics, even QM.

that Ravel piece of music is GOAT

mfw i ordered pauling and shankar textbooks from india and was told they would arrive by july 15, got an email from the seller on july 5 saying that of 3 two packages went missing and only one made it through but the guy doesnt know who got it, should i just tell him i want my money back now or give him till the end of the month before i do that? still havent gotten my shit :(

No idea, desu. Sorry, man. Never had any issues like that, because I always order via Amazon. Shipping between the EU, NA, and Japan is pretty damn reliable... India? I would imagine not so much. Was there a reason you shipped from India?

it was the cheapest seller

Yeah, that is why I always check where the seller is coming from and what their approval rating is before buying. 99.9% of the time I order new and directly from Amazon warehouses. I have never had an issue because of that.

Can't really give you advice though, because that kind of thing is totally beyond my experiences.

judge me and my plebshelf

>Rushdie, but no Satanic Verses

On a scale from pleb to pleb, you are pleb.

it's at my parent's... I promise.

anyways, Midnight's Children is much better. But his best is the Moor's Last Sigh.

In all seriousness, you've got some great books (Eliot, Tennyson, Chaucer, Dickinson), but you ought to get a shelf, m8.

his best is Shame.

Are those "Basic writings" worth getting or are there any other texts you'd think'd be better?

They were great when I was first starting out into the field of philosophy. Personally I am a huge fan of anthologies, simply because a lot of the time a book in philosophy has a lot of random shit in it that isn't necessary. A good example is Kant's CPR, where only the first 40% is even relevant.

Ultimately it depends on your aim with the writer. Do you want an overview of their work, with all of their important ideas and writings? Or do you want to read a single work of theirs through to the end to try and get every last detail of that particular work? Other variables apply of course, but that is the biggest question to ask.

An overview of their work sounds more convenient, any recommendations

Well for philosophy I always recommend Kahn's "Classics of Western Philosophy". It is pretty fucking comprehensive, minus the 20th century philosophers (there are still a few in there). If I had to take a single book on a deserted island for 10 years, I would probably choose that.

However if you are interested in anything particular or a different subject (like science or literature), then I could give other recommendations.

Personally I'm more interested in political philosophy, epistemology, and philosophy of religion. as well as a bit of existentialism.

The Anthologies I have for Soc-Pol philosophy and epistemology are pretty good, I would recommend them. However I would have to give a big warning about the Epistemology anthology. It is not temporally in order, and instead broken up into themes. It also is more focused, so it has a LOT of obscure authors. Due to this, I imagine it would be VERY tricky to go through desired sections (unless you wanted to simply read all 902 pages) if you are a beginner or intermediate in philosophy. Even for the course I used the book in we covered less than half, and jumped around quite a lot. Unless you are high level undergrad or grad level experienced in philosophy, then I might not recommend it.

If you wanted something else for Epistemology, I am not sure what I could recommend besides primary sources.

I used to have a philosophy of religion anthology, but I sold it back to the university for a pittance (personally I don't like the subject very much because I think that metaphysics is simply a misunderstanding of epistemology). I don't remember the name of the anthology or authors (was many years ago when I had my phil of religion class) unfortunately.

Existentialism? That is a bit more tricky. The "basic writings of existentialism" is fantastic as an anthology, but we used a different one for my existentialism class (I sold it back because I preferred this one). However this one is flawed in that, like some anthologies, it does a little bit too much in the way of combing out material. In other words, it could have added a lot more from each work. For a beginner on the subject? Definitely would recommend it. For intermediate or advanced? I would recommend primary sources.

Thanks a lot, I'll look into your suggestions!

Yeah, no problem. Happy to help with my opinions and such. Just completed my philosophy degree, time to be a wagecuck to buy more math/science textbooks.

How are those "A Very Short Introduction" books?
Also, what are you graduated on and what do you work with?

The VSI books are a hit or miss depending on the book, but they are usually pretty solid. The Phil of Science one was particularly useful to me during my philosophy seminar class. However they do not contain primary sources, they are simply TL;DRs of the subject (which in some cases is what you need. I have no real interest in sociology or anthropology, but I feel like a good philosophy is a jack of all trades in the business of knowledge. I need to know something about everything, instead of everything about something).

>Also, what are you graduated on and what do you work with?

I am not quite sure what you are asking exactly, rephrase?

As a Brazilian, I've had some spanish classes in middle school. How difficult do you think it would be for me to read spanish books? Would you have some recommendations to see how prepared I am to read in spanish?

I can second that, I even have some of his pictures saved on my computer.

At least you know how to take a picture, user.

I've just read the post above, you have a philosophy degree. I wanted to know your field of work.