/dfw/ David Foster Wallace

Do you like him?

(Did you read him?)

Nice meme

> Reading American books
Nice guy, but no.

Yes.

(No.)

The memes both over and underrate him depending on which ones pay attention to.

Brief Interviews> Broom of the System>Oblivion>IJ

Haven't read the rest.

Yeah I think he's a smart guy and IJ is really good. Some of the SS are also good. I would recommend IJ strongly.

his journalism is fun and accessible if you're looking for an in

Thank You, I'll try that.

he kinda looks like jonh green

Greens writing is better tho

Epic bait

some of the stuff from Consider the Lobster is bretty good, I specifically like "How Tracey Austin Broke My Heart", because I grew up idolizing athletes.
And the actual "Consider the Lobster" essay is interesting.
It's all on Youtube

If there ever was a meme author this guy is it. Absolutely terrible writer.

>Absolutely terrible writer.
this

mediocre, but much better than pynchon

>mediocre, but much better than pynchon
this

at least he doesn't have graphic novels like Kafka

Emphatically, no.
Yes.

The Pale King was both dull and spectacular

Yeah that was the idea...

t. Someone who hasn't ever read IJ.

>implying you've read it

i'm an oldfag and i've read it. i've read the pale king and some essays too. IJ isn't nearly as good as you think it is. DFW is very important for younger readers in their formative years, i understand that, but you will get over him shortly.

*tips fedora*

I've read all of his non-fiction, most of the first two books of short stories, and Broom of the System, and part of the rap book. I do think he is extraordinary -- obviously -- and he mostly does appeal to my sensibilities. I do think he is one of the most purely enjoyable writers, and I think he had a pretty significant conception of larger issues facing human culture circa the nineties and early 2000s. I think he had some significant errors in his ways of being, and thinking, and I think his inability to step outside of some of his fundamental misunderstandings and limitations are what led to his suicide.

>fuck i am young and like DFW this has triggered me and i don't know what to say
>better just meme

The Lobster one you'd probably rate high to middling in his works.

I just watched that movie the other day, I have read IJ but does the other guy david lipsky have any books worth reading?

He is a good writer

To my mind, there have been two great American novels in the past 50 years. Catch-22 is one; this is the other. For pop culture vultures like me, the central plot is fascinating: The late James O. Incandenza has created an ‘’entertainment’’ — Infinite Jest — so irresistible you can’t stop watching it. Three dozen terrific characters spin out from this, my favorite being Joelle Van Dyne, a.k.a. the P.G.O.A.T.: Prettiest Girl of All Time. But it all comes back to that lethal film — because for guys like me, irresistible entertainment, lethal or not, is the holy grail.

When your opinions begin to form around being contrarian based around the zeitgeist of a contrarian lit forum you might want to take a break.

Lol so true

he's good at convincing you that what he's trying to do is worth attempting, but not so good at actually doing it.