Are there unknown knowns?

Are there unknown knowns?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=K5WNcRoCXCM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

prejudice

Literally just watched a Zizek giving lecture including this quote.

youtube.com/watch?v=K5WNcRoCXCM

It's in the middle somewhere. It's about ideology ofcourse and so on

I would wager that most of the things we know we don't actually know that we know.

Yes. Recently I was reading about music, and the capacity of everyone to spot a misplaced note on a scale, or about a mistake in tempo while playing.

>The answer is that—entirely without our conscious awareness—our brains are keeping track of how many times particular notes are sounded, where they appear in terms of strong versus weak beats, and how long they last. A computational process in the brain makes an inference about the key we’re in based on these properties. This is another example of something that most of us can do even without musical training, and without what psychologists call declarative knowledge— the ability to talk about it; but in spite of our lack of formal musical education, we know what the composer intended to establish as the tonal center, or key, of the piece, and we recognize when he brings us back home to the tonic, or when he fails to do so.

Nice try. I'm not watching 2 hours of that lispy motherfucker.

There's a considerable cultural baggage that influences the way we think without being aware of it.
I suppose Foucault's concept of episteme in The Order of Things refers to these pivotal concepts we don't know we know yet they structure our body of knowledge.

Surprisingly great quote desu

>I suppose Foucault's concept of

explain

That which we cannot yet prove scientifically.

That's a known unknown

You don't know that

It's not really a thing we know we dont know (Socrates etc), but a thing we dont know but we know, I think. Like we dont know what came before the big bang so thats a known unknown, but we do know a thing that came after but dont know it, lile the Mandela Effect or someth- ah screw it, hmu

postmodernism/poststructualism is continental's last ditch effort to accomplish what analytic philosophy aims to without any of the conviction or rigour of the latter.

>what is the unconscious?

Try breathing consciously

You faggots are so pretentious. Unknown knows are just things we don't know that we know.

suck my dick

yawn

Hey this was a great lecture. Never actually bothered sitting through most of one.

Implicit knowledge. How to breathe. How to ride a bike.

what are you yawning at?

Does the existence of unknown knowns validate the Platonic epistemology which contends that learning is a type of remembrance?

Instincts. The very basics of which we conceive reality and create goals for ourselves are unknown on a higher level of reasoning.

This.
Also: whatever "intuition" is.

yes

lol

>Are there unknown knowns?

aspects of consciousness we intuitively understand but have yet to label or study or scientifically explain

but I know that I know how to ride a bike

Rumsfeld just told you there are, user. Or he might be hiding something, I don't know.