My girlfriend bought me this whole series for my birthday because she saw me reading The Lord of the Rings...

My girlfriend bought me this whole series for my birthday because she saw me reading The Lord of the Rings. It's been about 2 months now and I have only read the first book and a half. How do I kindly tell her they are bad literature and in a way a woman who never reads will understand?

>the gift you bought me is horrible because your taste is horrible. there's nothing you can do about it now but i just thought you should know.
go give your girlfriend a hug you meanie

What's happening is part of a phenomenon I wrote about a couple of years ago when I was asked to comment on Rowling. I went to the Yale University bookstore and bought and read a copy of "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone." I suffered a great deal in the process. The writing was dreadful; the book was terrible. As I read, I noticed that every time a character went for a walk, the author wrote instead that the character "stretched his legs." I began marking on the back of an envelope every time that phrase was repeated. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope several dozen times. I was incredulous. Rowling's mind is so governed by cliches and dead metaphors that she has no other style of writing.

But when I wrote that in a newspaper, I was denounced. I was told that children would now read only J.K. Rowling, and I was asked whether that wasn't, after all, better than reading nothing at all? If Rowling was what it took to make them pick up a book, wasn't that a good thing?

It is not. "Harry Potter" will not lead our children on to Kipling's "Just So Stories" or his "Jungle Book." It will not lead them to Thurber's "Thirteen Clocks" or Kenneth Grahame's "Wind in the Willows" or Lewis Carroll's "Alice."

Later I read a lavish, loving review of Harry Potter by the same Stephen King. He wrote something to the effect of, "If these kids are reading Harry Potter at 11 or 12, then when they get older they will go on to read Stephen King." And he was quite right. He was not being ironic. When you read "Harry Potter" you are, in fact, trained to read Stephen King.

Our society and our literature and our culture are being dumbed down, and the causes are very complex. I'm 73 years old. In a lifetime of teaching English, I've seen the study of literature debased. There's very little authentic study of the humanities remaining. My research assistant came to me two years ago saying she'd been in a seminar in which the teacher spent two hours saying that Walt Whitman was a racist. This isn't even good nonsense. It's insufferable.

That said though, don't tell her.

It's a gift. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

I haven't read Walt Whitman, but knowing his age and gender, I can make an educated guess that racism in some way seeped into his work. This does not make Walt Whitman a 'bad' person, nor does it make him personally culpable for racism in the abstract. Rather it's a reflection of the society he lived in, one in which racism proliferated freely and openly. We can admire and study the works of Whitman and others while simultaneously recognizing negative elements embedded within, and denounce those elements without denouncing the whole of the work or the person themselves.

Cheers, twenty-something college brat.

They're childrens books. They were cool when I was little. That's all. I really think you're overthinking it.

Based Bloom.

I can imagine a child enjoying this as I did when I was young, but when I got older and the final book came out I couldn't even be bothered to read it anymore (was perhaps 14 at the time, or 15?) because I understood that the books are basically plot driven and have very little aesthetic value sans world-building.

You can read for entertainment. Contrary to popular belief on this board, there is nothing wrong with enjoying the story of a book. Not everything you read needs literary merit.

I don't think many people who've read great classics can suddenly turn open a book by Rowling and feel the same fulfillment.

You can play shit games too, but if the mechanics are poor and annoying, you will end up getting irked instead of enjoying yourself.

>73
Get of Veeky Forums gramps

>there is nothing wrong with enjoying the story of a book. Not everything you read needs literary merit.

What plebs dont realize is that these arent and dont need to be mutually exclusive.

>tfw reading Musashi and its more entertaining, educational and insightful than half the shit that slings pretensions of being """"literary""""

see

>things that never happened

To be fair, the quality jumps significantly starting at the 3rd book. Not that any of them are Nobel Prize winners, but the first two are much more clearly generic children's books than the last 5. I would at least get that far before giving up on it.

if ure not baiting its a quote

HOLY SHIT, IT'S A CHILDRENS/TEENS BOOK, IT'S NOT SUPPOSED TO BE CHALLENGING LITERATURE

I READ HARRY POTTER FROM AGES 7-14 AND I LOVED THEM

AN ADULT READING HARRY POTTER FOR THE FIRST TIME WILL NOT APPRECIATE AS MUCH AS SOMEONE WHO READ IT AS A CHILD.

Don't be an asshole and read it

I didn't read much YA when I was in elementary other than a bunch of that vampire series dunce. There's no shame in it but now, I wouldn't touch those books with a stick. I also never read JKR. I've seen many people read only YA and nothing else and they continue to ignore all other kinds of literature when they grow up. I don't know if that's detrimental or not but for me personally, I think that drifting away from YA and eventually ignoring it altogether was a beneficial thing to do.

This. They're good YA books.

How old are you OP?

Not sure if sarcasm...

Tell her you don't like it very much.

If you feel the need to tell her, be sincere. You should be able to speak truthfully to your significant other.

But again, why would you just talk about that out of the blue? Maybe if she asked you, but otherwise there's no call for it.

>cheers, twenty-something college brat

It was copypasta. Old copypasta at that.

It's a review by Harold Bloom. It even says "I'm 73 years old" in the text.

So I guess cheers, twenty-something college brat.

It gets better

That just makes it worse, since the early books are by far the best.

I fucking love harry potter and reread them like once a year. God ya'll are a bunch of try hards.

Never cared for the hype when I was young. Just watch the movies (they're an okay distraction) so you can discuss it with her if she asks. I think the thought was sweet, she was trying and you shouldn't disparage her that

It's y'all, not ya'll.

You're out of your mind. The first three tell a fine coming of age story, the rest devolve into bland highschool drama as told by a Guardian reader.

end yourself

He's right though

She probably saw that you were reading Lord of the Plebs and bought the series for you as a joke. Your girlfriend is a total patrician who is making fun of you behind your back.

My ex was a self diagnosed harry potter fanatic. She watched all of the films before reading the book series and she was on book 2 when we broke up.
Am I a fool for missing her?

This.

If you understood why, you could explain it without asking us to construct your opinions for you.

But you could start with the fact that they are for ten year olds.

its definitely summer

True, summer began June 21.

kek

Donate them to an orphanage or under privileged school. Do this without her asking. When you break the news to her, say "Don't get mad at me. I really appreciate the books you got me, and it meant a lot to me. But I saw this [orphanage/underfunded school/underprivileged kids] and I thought 'These kids would benefit 100-fold what I get from this. I'm so lucky. Let them benefit from my abundance.' And I donated the books. I'm sorry for not telling you before I did it. But I genuinely thought it was the right thing to do."

You'll have the books off your hands AND get your dick sucked