I'll take 'meme authors mentioned on Veeky Forums in the past week' for $400

>basicbooks.jpeg

True patrician coming through

kek, pats don't buy used books you phony

pft

nyrb utter hipster trash.

and especially not cheapo paperbacks

boooooooo

I seek spiritual enlightenment and wisdom, as well as to learn about the most influential figures in history so that I too, can be extremely influential.

Best read that foreword too

>a graphic novel

Trust me, unless death prevents it, everything in this book is being read. I'm in a rough patch of my life

>not acquiring /li/ graphic novels to help introduce your less lit-inclined teenage students to Kafka

If i didn't get this, i'm a shitty teacher to be

Solace in literature and philosophy is always great, but when push comes to shove if a problem can be confronted directly, it really is your best bet

Thank god for all those weeaboos you'll win over.

If you really think you're better than graphic novels, you're clearly a teenager using lit to prop yourself up as superior ti others

lmaoooooo

My problem is that I'm not satisfied with who I am, I'm not satisfied with my current living situation. This is me confronting my problem directly. I eat healthy, I've been exercising daily (as I type this I'm dripping in sweat and my shorts are soaked), In the past six months I've received two promotions at my work, I'm moving, and I'm becoming a more well read person.

My biggest problem is that I'm very judgemental of others, I have a superiority complex I can't seem to shake, yet I'm never satisfied with who I am, I always want to be better, and I can't seem to find other people who are like me

You might be thinking I have some special snowflake syndrome, the cause of which being rich parents who pampered me too much. But I grew up in homeless shelters and projects, I've had to scavenge for food as a child before I was even ten.

I'm hoping the wisdom of Gautama Buddha can help

Nah my fiancé and I have the same thing and she grew up homeless multiple times and all that

Really it just comes with time and understanding that you and most if what you care about really doesn't matter. I mean, congrats dude you love avant lit/film/free jazz, whatever but who cares? You're an asshole because of it and posteuring because you need to feel special.

Eventually you face that fact and learn to Just let it roll off and accept what you are and what you like, and take others as they may be

Well I at least don't treat people like an asshole, I'm kind and only wish to be a guiding light in people's lives. However, without words I have a distaste for how they conduct their lives. Not to the point that I would take away personal freedom however

You're fine then desu

Always good to keep improving yourself, but you're clearly a well adjusted soul

Only physical book I've bought in a few weeks.

D...did I do good, Veeky Forums?

If there is anything the Japanese do NOT need, it is life lessons from Nietzsche.

I fuggin need a copy

>tolstaya
ew

Here you go

>You will never have a Nietzsche phone strap

How do I look this book up?

Reminds me of this book that originated from japan and sold a ton among eastern asian countries. The title translates literally as "Hyper-translated Nietzsche's Words". It basically decontexualized everything from Nietzsche and paraphrased author's shitty life pro-tips in Nietzsche's words.

>A Fan's Notes
Well done, OP.

I'm not a book to get to know the logic of the philosopher called Nietzsche, this is.
It this a do for touching the positive part of the sensibility of a man named Nietzsche.
At the time of the mood that feeling depressed I was, pick up this book in the shop, just at that time, to find the one sentence that I wanted encouragement saying, was buying impulse.
I think it was a correct answer according to the impulse.

Vollmann :)

middle three are recent purchases top is rereading and bottom is reading

Good luck with PL. it's a bit dry

You should scan it. pls

I want to believe that's the same Dolan as the nuclear physics books from the shelf threads.

It isn't that expensive, and shipping books from Japan isn't all that bad (nothing compared to figurines).

Still, scans are free and free is p good. I wouldn't mind if that user also scanned it for us.

>the more obscure the more patrician!

assuming that's Been Down So Long It Looks Like Up To Me, I love that book good buy

>Paradise Lost
>Dry

nice bait, you made me reply. Here's your (you)

I've never seen a copy of Stoner with that title. Weird. Did they just change it for the NYRB reprint?

You

1/2

2/2

Redpill me on Vollman. What's his deal? I've seen Europe Central recommended a lot.

Those are some old-looking Penguins

Yeah, got them from a second hand book shop

You don't say.

How much per book?

I should try second hand book shops.

Throw all that other shit out and get more DeLillo

yo polebro, whats a good polish publisher? i mean for polish books in polish?

delilo was the book I was hyped on least.

>le contemporary american fiction meme
you're not patrician dude, sorry

Entry level fag here

Slow Learner
Crying Lot of 49
Mason & Dixon
Inherent Vice
Gravity's Rainbow
Pale King
Consider the Lobster
The Aeneid
Ulysses
Oblivion: Stories (DFW)
War and Peace
Swann's Way
Siddhartha

Fun fact: if you have to announce yourself as patrician you are not patrician.

differeing prices
the penguins were 3-5
wordsworth - 5
Vintage -10
Others were 10 - 20
keep in mind i live in Aus

damn you got screwed. OP here. all of mine were $1 from the dollar bin at bmv. except the hardcover. that was 7$

dont read any of those yet. read of mice and men, the old man and the sea, the outsider, siddhartha yes, and notes from underground first. who do you think you are masquerading as someone with the breadth of knowledge to tackle those constantly namedropped authors? start small, though your ambition is fiery and is telling you not to. you will draw deeper insights into something like ulysses, for example, if you have knowledge of irish history, the catholic church, dubliners, portait of the artist as a young man, and the various works joyce alludes to all the time. is a basic knowledge of the western canon necessary to read a work like ulysses? no. however, it helps you decipher what joyce was getting to. allusions are not to prove to what extent the author is well-read, but to enforce an idea or thesis by the author by use of a different, often wellknown story. describing a character as like hamlet, or as an achilles, or as a cain or abel has real background, your allusion has added the context and power of a complete other story unto it. if you're an entry level fag, don't start in the canopy lurk around the ferns awhile.

to cut it short, you're incredibly pretentious and you're reaching further than your hand can take you. read short, basic works, not monumentally influential tomes from high modernism, postmodernism, epic poems, etc etc. btw

Officyna, Wydawnictwo W.A.B., ha!art, Universitas, Noir sur Blanc, Albatros, Zeszyty Literackie, PIW, Lokator Wydawnictwo, słowo/obraz terytoria. I hope you will find this helpful.

>patrician
>he doesn't even have the masonic bible

Well I'm never going to the 2nd store by car again.

>As many books as you want for 10 eurobucks.

Ist Spengler gut?

shit taste

it's probably a translation, but i'm wondering if farina is also translated into polish

Then you're a fuckhead

why is your animal farm so thick? Is that the VHS of the animated film?

It comes with a slice of bacon.

>As many books as you want for 10 eurobucks.

wtf

Where is this place?

I have that copy of Goethe. It's a great.

Too lazy to start with Part 2 though, it's much thicker.

Went into Waterstones today.

They have a new and well-stocked shelf on the bottom floor now, devoted EXCLUSIVELY to new and aesthetic copies of somewhat timeless books.

I will take some photos tomorrow. Was kinda tempted, kinda disgusted desu.

what's with this ultra pro photo.

>he made a little book tower

how cute

jk, u fucking retard

>not a Catholic bible
>being this heretical

enjoy eternal damnation, Martin.

nigga

>redpill
Anyhoo. He's one of the few living authors where the genius/insane factor is actually relevant. The guy crossdresses to talk about crossdressing, and if I'm not mistaken he's done heroin just to be able to write about heroin. Insurmountable, but to be approached with apprehension.
Europe Central sort of disappointed me, 2bh. But maybe that was just the low-level fetishized-underground hype that surrounded it. My local bookshop had a midnight opening for it, and I swear I haven't seen human beings like that ever since again.

Anyway that has little to do with the novel, or Vollmann's word at large. Try to read etc etc Angels, and see whether you like it. Europe Central was massive, humongous in scope. It's hard to say just how much without resorting to Veeky Forums memes. Try imagining the drama of Gravity's Rainbow with the humour of IJ, with the same autistic-yet-genius attention to detail of Mann's Magic Mountain. All that, and in a broader scope than anything I'd ever read before.

But here's the thing: I don't know if I should recommend it. It's certainly not for everyone. Certainly not for redpill-memers on Veeky Forums.

tl;dr: Maybe?

dang, user. that's some tower for 10 €poors.

Amsterdam, the cashier couldn't be arsed to scan it all. So went: 10 for the lot?
Books are normally 50 cents to a whole euro at this place.

I may own a decent camera with okay glass.

what you shoot with. what lense?

How mad are you right now?

im livid

figured

>getting mad at what other people read

I got a job (and then proceeded to quit 4 months in) and now I got some cash left over from that while im living with my uncle.
I've been buying some books recently.
1/2

2/2
nice!
paradise lost is my shit, its packed away currently with the other 200 something books.
stoner is boring as fuck at first but then you get immersed into it
>tfw no katherine driscoll in my life atm
good choices!
tell me how that welsh book is. I've been meaning to read Trainspotting.
pretty books
you single? i'll make sweet love to you if that's your taste.

what a waste of money

>Poetry.
>Pretending you enjoy reading poetry.

You're not fooling anyone, pal.

how so, user?
i've been caught!

t. man baby

Autoreflex Revuenon 50 1.4, tons of CA and swirly bokeh

Be gentle please.

What I'm interested in here is the lighting, do you have a photo studio in your living room or something?

>Stoner is boring as fuck

Williams prose captivated me within the very first chapter

oi
enough

its great book the further you get into it but idk i was honestly bored to death, it nearly prevented me to stop reading the book.
I'm glad I did.
I will bb.

My life is filled with fancy Italian design light fixtures. (Think Artemide Tizio, Tolomeo, etc...)

Flexible arms and high output car halogen makes so they can double as studio lighting in an instant.

Shut up faggot

Got an old copy of the Odyssey for free from the local barber shop.

Rad cover,not too sure about the translation.
It seems to be a reprint of a translation from 1947.