Does Elon Musk deserve his popculture reddit hero status?

Does Elon Musk deserve his popculture reddit hero status?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-f_DPrSEOEo
bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-03-04/as-tesla-gears-up-for-suv-investors-ask-where-the-profits-are
spacenews.com/spacex-to-launch-ses-10-satellite-on-reused-falcon-9-by-years-end/
nextbigfuture.com/2016/08/doubling-battery-power-from-lithium.html
nextbigfuture.com/2016/08/battery-developers-should-emulate.html
youtube.com/watch?v=yx3auTD85Fw
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

He is one of the few billonaires that realizes mankid is caged awaiting to die and wants to do something about it.
He is a hero in his own right-

he seems good desu

He's not quite the super genius inventor that's going to save the world that reddit makes him out to be but he deserves MUCH more credit than half of sci gives him. He's not a genius but he's also not just a business man. He's got the right goals with the right people and works incredibly hard to do his part.

He gave Ipads to African villages

A true hero

He's this decades Richard Branson except he's actually willing to spend money.

He'll go bankrupt before the decade is up and Mars won't even reach the planning stage.

>made cross country electric car travel feasible and soon mainstream
>made the best car in the world
>setup the world for the personal electric generation boom
>landed a rocket back on Earth
>saved the USA from space irrelevancy

I pretty good run. I posit that his pool of haters consists of people who consider not stinking like piss and shit an achievement, and people paid to sway public opinion against Musk's disruptive technologies.

Any billionaire willing to spend their money to advance scientific and engineering endeavors rather than hoard it for political power, bribery and donating miniscule amounts to "charity" to appear morally superior is ok in my book.

Well he's super autistic and his face is 100% plastic surgery, have you ever seen one of his presentations? You'd think he would just get someone else to be the face/voice of his companies.

Is he really much of a business man other than being a cheap skate and going into businesses where he has no competition? Memes his employees into working for lower wages & longer hours because "muh company vision"....

... untill everything he does kinda explodes or doesnt function as expected. Don't get me wrong, its nice that they're developing tech, but you don't put beta products on the market, no matter what Apples tells you.

Amber Heard is gonna take all his money and we won't ever get to Mars ever.
>humanity will literally die out because of a gold digger
You could put a million shakespeares in a linen closet with a crayon and they could never in a million years think of this shit.

kek he already lost his last house because of his first wife

he's shockingly retarded for hooking up with heard

i think he's some hyperautist, able to see 200 years in the future on all of his mars plans and his cars and the environment and shit, but unable to figure out women after being fucked over two times before

>muh real life tony stark
He doesn't since reddit popsci normies are by definition retarded, but he's a pretty cool guy for investing in science
Aren't we all?

>but unable to figure out women
>implying you're able to

elon musk tried to privatize space without government permission or oversight. You can argue that its because they want to have safety regulations but ill remind you that they push pharmaceuticals that are later to be recalled because of the amounting deadly side effects. Nevermind the denial of cigarettes causing cancer and the hazards of excessive flouride, govermental oversight for safetly is just bullshit.
theres a reason why elon musk was crying over his projects being shat on by NASA.
youtube.com/watch?v=-f_DPrSEOEo

tesla is losing money. they've never made a single cent above total investment. next year is their last chance; they'll be out of business in a few years if these $30,000 electric cars dont sell.

i've figured out that the best way to play the game of women is to just not play at all

>he's shockingly retarded for hooking up with heard

??
Have you not seen him talk? Have you not seen how he looked before his plastic surgery? This shit is to be expected...

They are selling cars as fast as they can make them
What are you talking about

the way he talks is caused by his accent and him stumbling over words as he tries to put sentences together (i've seen this in both extremely dumb and extremely smart people)

and him before his plastic surgery was "just fuck my shit up" tier

He was lucky to invest early in PayPal. All his other businesses are living off the government's tit.

yea sure he's a smart guy and he probably knows his rocketeering

But he's hella autistic, really he should get someone else to do their presentations/interviews cuz thats just embarassing.

He's a showman and a welfare queen.

No, he doesn't have a lick of real scientific knowledge and has got rich by what seems to be sheer luck. Im somewhat sure there's a genius lurking behind him who's issue happy to contribute to science and doesn't mind not getting credit.

>started an electronic service just before electronic payments became huge
>successfully created reusable rockets, getting the idea from got knows where and somehow solving the technical challenges despite having only a bachelor's
>somehow creates world's first and best commercial electric cars with aforementioned handicaps

Maybe it's just me as an academic not liking how a person can become a hero of science by not even contributing to science.

bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-03-04/as-tesla-gears-up-for-suv-investors-ask-where-the-profits-are

Tesla is still bleeding money for some reason, maybe the sales team thinks no one will buy it if they sell it high enough to break even.

Citation Needed

>successfully created reusable rockets, getting the idea from got knows where and somehow solving the technical challenges despite having only a bachelor's
It's not like he did it by himself

Musk is just another guy on corporate welfare; subsidies from governments if he can get it and wine and dine private equity and hedge funds so he can get cash injections

>using tons of government money to prop up his ventures and still going broke

This. At best he'll be remembered as a well intentioned failure.

>he's successfully landing unmanned launch stages on barges in the ocean
also reddit hates him now because he's a billionaire.

>NASA offers open contracts to pay for development & launches to anyone who can fit criteria
>Only SpaceX has managed that, at a fraction of what NASA was paying russia for launches
>Hurr muh government welfare

He is not Iroman but at least he is trying hard to change the world he is living.

I like the part where everyone talks shit about him from their room eating cheetos while he is launching and landing rockets for first time and developing electric cars fighting and the oil companies. You must be proud of yourselves I guess.

He's a bit of a dick and a prick but honestly if any of us were him and achieved the same amount he has I think all of us would act said way

Always wondered how didnt the oil and bankers "elite" get rid of him yet, or at least "tackle" his progress earlier. Maybe hes in on it... Nobody can win against the bankers. At least not anymore. My theory is that Elon is another "Humanity is going towards a bright and free energy future" meme puppet to cover the shithole reality were living in.

Maybe you are a totally delusional retard who has bought into the fantasy that the "evil oil companies have been suppressing alternative power sources" ?

IT'S HAPPENING!

spacenews.com/spacex-to-launch-ses-10-satellite-on-reused-falcon-9-by-years-end/

>the best car in the world

t. consumer reports et al

Very poor build, bug-ridden software, door handles falling off, safety feature on Bosch's autopilot taken off so they can say "look no hands!" resulting in one driver dead, battery takes fire when not self-discharging over the night. Hype is 10/10 though. People love their iPhones too.
>setup the world for the personal electric generation boom
It's just fucking laptop batteries put together in a pretty box. Systems like these existed in houses for years, for the exact same purpose. But then again, 10/10 on hype.

The only thing Elon is really innovative at is finding ways to get reddit to suck his dick

Unless you find other alternatives you can stfu... This is only the beggining, give him a little air.

Yes ofcourse, he revolutionised the automotive industry. You fuckwad.

The fire rises

His company should've been called Edison, not Tesla
>nobody will understand this

Edison took the credit for work of his staff. He was more interested in making money than inventing things.

Musk has Physics degree. Was going to get a PHD before he decided to go into business. I think he is still working on completing it.

Hmmm... because Edison invented electricity while Tesla build plasma?

You're the delusional retard if you think that oil companies don't spend millions lobbying to keep restrictions on alternative energy development and infrastructure. It's has nothing to do with conspiracy-tier designations within a moral compass, it's just simple economics. Do you also believe climate change is myth?

If he fails, they'll call him well-intentioned or ahead of his time.
If he succeeds, they'll call him a hero, a genius, a revolutionary, etc.

The success of his projects are strongly reliant on what the global market wants and is willing to pay for. I think considering the electric automotive revolution he's trying to spearhead, he knows people don't really want or care right now, but it looks like his plan is just to prove that it's possible and expect the market to react accordingly. He's playing the long game. The introduction of an electric car priced in the mid $30k range is exactly what he needed to do with Tesla. Not only that, he made the car look like something people want to drive, not like this "car 2.0" shit that Chevy pulled with the Bolt.

As for the rockets, I don't know if that will play out in the long run. The shift in focus to sending people to Mars is undeserved and waaayyyy premature. We're probably still looking at decades of unmanned space exploration and science before we know how to properly send explorers to other planets.

Nothing but a welfare queen and a scam artist.

climate change IS a myth and oil companies have done nothing of the sort

20 sheckels have been deposites in your account mister cuckberg

>If he fails, they'll call him well-intentioned or ahead of his time.
>If he succeeds, they'll call him a hero, a genius, a revolutionary, etc.

That's one of the things about him (rather harmless, I must say) that few people notices.

You propose to tackle a hard problem that is perceived that way and one of the two things that you just said happens: Either you fail and get recognized as some sort of brave man or visionary; or you accomplishes what you intended to and gets all the glory.

It's almost a win-win scenario.

Sorry for my poor English.

I bet in 100 years he's just going to me a meme that never really contributed anything to science.. just like Tesla, which he owns. Makes the noggin start joggin

eh
electrical cars are the obvious future
chemical engines have been more or less at their limits for a long time, eventually batteries will be superior. Maybe thats 10 years away I dnno, but there is plenty of a market for hippies who want their own electric car.

By what means of energy do you suppose we'll be using to move around with in 100 years?

yes just yes because of yes

First of all he earned his money. He didn't inherit it, or win the lottery or something.

Second he earned that wealth by using his mind and hard work to transform what was merely a dream into reality, few people can make that claim.

Third, if most people were as rich as Musk, they wouldn't bother trying to better the world, or colonize new ones, they'd be getting fucked up on drugs and slamming whores.

Yeah, I think he deserves his status.

everyone will get their own power with device inserted in rectum it burns gas and waste and converts it then transmits wirelessly to any gadgets you have

yup, Space-X can put tonnage into orbit for half or even a quarter the cost government space agencies can depending on launch vehicle. that alone will do.

and on chemical engines and batteries from the poster above.

batteries have actually plateaued, the tesla is awesome. but that's about as far as that will go batteries will never replace internal combustion engines industrial, commercial, and military machines and vehicles.

that said what could happen is changing the actual fuel, a LFTR could actually synthesize hydrocarbons.

He's doing things that should have been done 30+ years ago desu.

>he earned that money by using his mind
By hiring other people's minds. His highest degree is a bachelor's.

>if people were as rich as musk they wouldn't bother improving the world
Mate he owns all the companies he uses to "improve" the world. And there are a shit ton of philanthropic billionaires who don't coincidentally profit from their philanthropy like Gates and Buffett

I know. That's what's odd, he can consistently hire people who make these breakthroughs.

>You're the delusional retard if you think that oil companies don't spend millions lobbying to keep restrictions on alternative energy development and infrastructure.

Yeah, I really can see the effects of their money pissing. They have really banned solar which is totally not selling through the roof despite it still being shitty.

If a million people try to do what he did, by pure chance one of them will be successful. He's that one.

Tesla won't exist in a decade

>until everything he does kinda explodes or doesn't function as expected
Yeah like the Tesla cars that are among the safest cars on the market, or the Falcon 9 rockets that have had only two failures out of 28 launches, one time the secondary payload (the primary was just fine btw) fell out of orbit after a week because they couldn't get it high enough (it was also a known risk and the company whose satellite was launched knew about it and accepted it), and there was only one actual failure where the rocket blew up before delivering the payload.
Yes their rockets do explode on landing, but no other company has even attempted making reusable rockets so far, and the landing failures don't affect the quality of the service they provide in any way. Not to mention that the majority of their most recent launches are successful, so they are getting there.

>batteries have actually plateaued,

Not at all. Lithium metal anodes, lithium air, and lithium sulfur batteries are set or nearly set to increase energy density by a large amount, nevermind manufacturing optimizations that are steadily bringing down the price.

nextbigfuture.com/2016/08/doubling-battery-power-from-lithium.html
nextbigfuture.com/2016/08/battery-developers-should-emulate.html

>batteries have actually plateaued
Yeah that's why they've just recently discovered a way to use thinner lithium layers in batteries, thus increasing stored energy/volume (almost doubling it afaik), and that is why Dyson is going to pour billions into battery research. Not to mention technologies like graphene batteries & capacitors that don't yet exist but are promising.

That doesn't refute 's point of using different materials, or my point about entirely different battery technologies.
Btw the batteries are within an order of magnitude of petrol in effective stored energy:
Petrol: 13.92 MJ/kg or 10.61 MJ/litre (assuming 30% efficient engine)
Battery: 1.44 MJ/kg or 3.46 MJ/litre (assuming 80% efficient engine)
By weight the battery is almost 10 times worse, but by volume it's only 3 times, and the weight of the battery would be small compared to the net weight of the vehicle, so it matters less than its volume from a design standpoint, not to mention that you save weight on the engine by using an electric motor.

Err, I'm and I posted the second chart to show further support, not to refute it.

Oh I just thought you imply that it might have been reduced, but it can't be further reduced.

Misunderstandings aside, I think batteries getting to 400Wh/kg is super exciting because Musk thinks that an electric aircraft would be feasible at that point.

youtube.com/watch?v=yx3auTD85Fw

C'mon Musk, you know you want to disrupt another major industry.

build a flying car pussy boy
Landing/takeoff strips could be put all over the place, on top of buildings, alongside the highway, etc.

You can't live off the grid in some places in America.

Who seriously cares? Shouldn't what he's doing with the space industry matter more than what his face looks like?