Solving difficult problems through subconsciousness/extremely relaxed state

What does Veeky Forums think about trying to solve difficult problems by subconsciousness /being in meditative relaxed state and just letting your brain(?) do all the hard work by itself just like Von Neumann. There was also another professor who almost fell asleep and solved a really difficult problem but can't remember his and in case I find it I'm going to post it.

Other urls found in this thread:

web.chemdoodle.com/kekules-dream/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Can you post some references? This is quite fascinating but /x/ could be better at this than Veeky Forums. I'm into meditation now. First thing I want to improve is memory. You know when you experience crisp dreams? I'd like to do that during the day with real life material like textbooks. Anapanasati coupled with mindfulness during the day could be key to achieving good meditation sessions.

Mathematical Apocrypha Redux: More Stories and Anecdotes of Mathematicians and the Mathematical (Spectrum)
by Steven Krantz.

Posted recently by another user.

I once composed a piano song in a half dream state. I just heard it playing but knew/felt how to play it as it was happening. Very strange feeling so I can believe the problem solving thing while relaxed. But i have no idea how one could apply that regularly

>I once composed a piano song in a half dream state.
Super cool. Can you elaborate a bit more? Were you tired?

>references
To what? You could easily find the information on google with just a few clicks. As for meditation be really careful and research it or you can fuck up your shit up really hard, its not as simple as all those soccer moms make it out to be (most of them are extremely unstable). For memory there are way better things to do and in generally unless you're over 50 or have really bad disability it shouldn't matter if you read enough and sleep properly.
This goes both for you and the poster above. Imo you should be careful when you do the subconscious thing because even though it looks petty you never really know what it might happen. What I think is more important is focusing on something to the point where you dream about it, I hope it happened to you so you can understand me properly. Its how I think Ramanujan got these dreams, he pretty much thought only about that and when you sleep your brain goes through what you've experienced already but with a twist. I will probably get a lot of shit about this but I think the brain(?) is like a computer and if you give him some kind of command (question for us) and let him use his cpu to the fullest on it he will do it (solve it) easier unlike if you try it yourself.

not for maths, but this is how i come up with my D&D campaigns.

>To what? You could easily find the information on google with just a few clicks.
>No references? Into the trash.
Dude I do mathematics all day and I sleep like shit because I carry on that problem solving mentality to irrational dreams. That's the Tetris effect and is very common.
>For memory there are way better things to do and in generally unless you're over 50 or have really bad disability it shouldn't matter if you read enough and sleep properly.
You're so naif.
I have a better than average memory but it's not that good when tested thoroughly by demanding tasks. I have to rehearse everything constantly to keep it fresh and it's a pain in the ass. I use RCs with no effect.

why didn't they just use concrete or wood?
hell with some simple exploratory drilling, they could just find a place to dig a hole and put him in it.

>because I carry on that problem solving mentality to irrational dreams
You obviously have issues because like I said already YOU NEED TO BE RELAXED. Its quite obvious that if you're stressed you wont amount to anything. And you don't need to really do math all day, just reprogram your brain to be your priority and be relaxed all the time.
>inb4 you don't know
>You're so naif.
>I have a better than average memory but it's not that good
Obviously not.

>is
it's.
This morning I went back to bed and I was able to recall vivid images. I tried to retrieve some material from the textbook: the page that came up was full of mathematics but it was made up. It was full of detail but I had hard time focusing on it without loosing stability. I'm going to do this regularly.

I studied difficult mathematics textbooks some years ago in a very relaxed state. The problem solving was at his peak. Now I'm a bit in a rush but the memory was no better then. Either I rehearse thing or they are forgotten.

You're not stressed when you play Tetris, you're having fun but you dream it nonetheless. In regards to memory, I have experimented a bit so I may know a few things better than you do about myself.

>And you don't need to really do math all day just reprogram your brain to be your priority and be relaxed all the time.
Kiddo turn off the computer and have some real life experience. You sound retarded. You're dictating to a complete strange how he should use his time and you want to solve complex problems without putting effort in it.

I understand what you're talking about and indeed you find optimal performance in a "calm" state, where you don't force your thoughts. Nietzsche already said that conciousness stands in inverse relation to speed and ease of cerebral transmission and there is truth to that.

>Now I'm a bit in a rush but the memory was no better then. Either I rehearse thing or they are forgotten.
That happens only after a long period unless you have anxiety or abuse drugs/depression. I know myself how often that is common with people who study math but 99% of the times the problem is in themselves.
>You're not stressed when you play Tetris, you're having fun but you dream it nonetheless
Yes because you care about it in some way or another like I said already. I really don't know what you really meant by posting it.
>In regards to memory, I have experimented a bit so I may know a few things better than you do about myself.
Well thats good that you do experiment but please also look at mnemonics its quite old technique made exactly for remembering difficult things.
>Kiddo turn off the computer and have some real life experience. You sound retarded. You're dictating to a complete strange how he should use his time and you want to solve complex problems without putting effort in it.
Where did I dictated him to do something? You're obviously overemotional and really didn't read my post properly. I just said that you don't need to study all day to have it in your dreams and subconsciousness. Not going to argue whatever short bursts are better than long.

i love the first 10-15 minutes after waking up, when my head is still clear. i feel like time is slowing down and i can manipulate objects in front of my mind's eye like it's a blackboard.

an ability to go into that state during the waking hours would be worth goldz

Are you talking about Kekule and his idea that benzene was actually a ring?

I don't have any experience with solving equations like this but I definitely write my best papers while on the verge of sleep. A little extra natural dmt floating around your brain does wonders for your creativity

Here's a link for the mathfags.

web.chemdoodle.com/kekules-dream/

Googled "natural DMT" and tapped on the first link. Instant regret.

whats wrong with it?

I'm still curious about an user's assertion that "Neumann and his Hungarian colleagues" withheld the majority of their ideas from the Americans.

Never heard about that so someone better give a source. Maybe, when we are talking about ideas, they had their own group and wanted to fully develop those on their own and take all the credit. That's what individual people do all the time and there's nothing wrong with that.

Very interesting, I find myself come up with the best ideas when I walk the dog.

wow this is.. really interesting. similar to what happened to me i guess.
it happened after i woke up naturally, quite early for me, maybe 6 am, but I lay there and drifted in and out of sleep for the next 30 minutes. And towards the end, i was lying there, and this song started playing. I was playing it in my head and dreaming of hands playing this piece on piano, but i was also semi-conscious and aware i was dreaming. So there was a conscious effort to stay in the dream (like when you are having a good dream but you can tell you are about to wake up). And that's about it. I played the whole thing, fully woke up, and wrote down what i could remember. This only happened once, but still, it was pretty amazing.

>This only happened once, but still, it was pretty amazing.
Proficient lucid dreamers are known to listen to music in their dreams at will. I don't know if they can always evoke original ones though.

Is this not just the result of many hours spent in mathematics?

A master pianist with thousands of hours of experience, when in a trance state, would be able to do the same in relation to their field.

I have this really awesome technique that i can do with my subconscious. To start of with, i make music, and it's very hard to make a good melody. But when i'm a bit tired, i try to focus on some random notes in my head, and eventually my brain just makes something out of the notes and it ends up with an awesome melody.

I'm sorry but I don't think this will ever work. One of the ways one can tell if they are in a lucid dream is by trying to read a clock or book and having the words be nonsense or even change before their eyes. I don't think it's a matter of practicing, well it is but instead of practicing dreaming you should instead practice mathematics if you want to get anywhere. You need to understand current mathematics before you can invent new shit. Even von Neumann wasn't perfect:
>If the interlocutor was extremely lucky, if in fact what he/she proved was really new, and unknown to von Neumann, and not completely obvious to him, then he might respond with, "But that's not true!" and then (after further explanation was supplied) switched to, "Ya-ya-ya, that is obvious."
You relying on your dreams alone is basically like von Neumann without the interlocutor there to give an explanation.

Paul McCartney tells a similar story about Yesterday.

I don't want to make new mathematics at the moment. I just want to remember the pages from my textbook. I've had an acquaintance of mine telling me she was able to stabilize a page of a book.

Then you read a lot of stories on the internet. That's not a good source but from these and from some personal experience I'm prone to believe this can be done.

Once you can have a more direct access to the information stored in your brain, you can start to meddle with what it can produce. Reading pages of mathematics like a pianist listening to music.

Then (like you say), if you're good at doing math, like the pianist you can make something out of it. But I'm doing a lot of mathematics now so I'm bound to improve. What holds me down now is my memory.

Are you me?