Is being a good writing and spelling necessary for a good writer, or is it about the story?

Is being a good writing and spelling necessary for a good writer, or is it about the story?

Pic unrelated (but I am a Korean girl).

That's what the editor is for.

fitzgerald couldn't spell for shit

A good story will suffice for YA if you throw some angsty teen shit in there

Good writing and prose are essential to be true literature

Spelling can be corrected easilly enough

Also what's it like in Korea? Which part are you from?

>(but I am a Korean girl)
so pic very related.

You'll catch most spelling errors in the edits, anyway, so no.

Neither, it's about the prose.

Assumably worst Korea?

>korean youth in decline
>in decline

*presumably

>tfw you'll never attend high school with these girls and fool around pulling pranks with each other

>>tfw you'll never attend high school with these girls fooling around pulling pranks with each other, while you sit alone in the library studying to be whatever your parents told you to be
fixed that for you

rhetoric is very important in the art of storytelling. you can have a great story well-plotted, but without a mastery of the language you won't be able to turn that into an enjoyable book.

If you do choose to write, try writing about people who don't quite know the language, while playing up the fact that the narrator doesn't know it so well either. Let Korean phrases slip through when you can't find an English one. etc. I'd find that more readable.

How are you going to tell a good story if your writing isn't?

Good spelling is technically not necessary but good luck getting an agent without it. (I guess the only option would be paying for somebody to proofread the shit)

post pic pls :c
my heart needs it

My wife is also Korean. She agrees the youth are falling in a way that mirrors the decline of the American youth.

Is this your wife?

I also have a Korean wife. Agree that their youth is heading the same way as US & Japan.

fan death

for people who are so afraid of fans, this is odd to see

every korean home has a fan for the summer heat

The superstition is overplayed because it's so strange - it's on par with not walking under ladders or breaking mirrors or opening umbrellas indoors for westerners.

They're not actually afraid of fans.

Why are Asians so weird? I know Americans do some crazy things but Asians top Americans in weird.

not afraid of fans specifically, but afraid of running them in a closed room, like at night time.

I think it's more a generational thing than an Asian thing, since teens these days live online (vine, instagram, snapchat etc.) more than in their actual community.

It's also true that people who were too young to remember 9/11 or who weren't born yet are very, very, very different to the ones who were old enough to remember the 90's or earlier.

Yes, I felt like I didn't need to actually state that since I was responding to two people who had already mentioned the fan death phenomenon.

It's one of those "did you know" things that actually, yes, everyone knows. Like tomatoes actually being fruit.

My point is it's not as big of a deal as most people think, and I gave comparisons.

>not walking under ladders or breaking mirrors or opening umbrellas indoors for westerners

I won't do any of those things.

This is a pretty rational point. I think the internet just affords this generation the ability to act uninhibited and say whatever they want and be whoever they want online and that bleeds into their real life by them somewhat acting out these personas. Sortof developing their personalities online.

I should add that this probably isn't a good thing.

Why not? In a way it allows them to be more honest. It also helps to realize them that the world is so much bigger than their community.

Likewise, many Koreans won't sleep in a room with a fan switched on in case they suffocate.

It's an irrational superstition with cultural roots.

And many Muslims will detonate themselves inside a school to slaughter the infidel to get wonderful prizes.

It's an irrational superstition with cultural roots.

Because it forms a disconnect with reality and action. They become a person that is used to being things without doing things so they never do anything more than they have to, it also kills their attention spans.

>I should add that this probably isn't a good thing.
I, for one, am glad that teenage girls in Taiwan can get down to the drizzy Drake and share the videos with their hip-hop loving friends.

i think Germans can give them a run for their money

Holy shit this. Concise user is concise.

It's happening in Eastern Europe as well

are you guys me? lol. my korean wife also agrees

Definetery about the stoly.

I have to step in ....to say I agree with this user.
We truly live in the greatest of times.

Mine too. Also her brothers Korean wife agrees as well.

source?

this please

>reading for plot

if you condense James Joyce's oeuvre to its nonsubmersible plot points they're uneventful.

>Araby
Kid goes to a bazaar and it sucks.

>The Dead
Nerd gets shamed at a party by some nationalist bitch, sucks up to his aunts, and it turns out he's being mentally cucked by his wife.

>Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man
Stephen goes to two Jesuit schools, moves all over Ireland because his dad's a blundering drunk, attends Trinity College then Irish goodbyes Ireland.

>Ulysses
Stephen and some kike looking for his son mope around Dublin for a day.

It's not plot of a book we should be concerned with but rather the beauty and depth of its prose. So no, it's not about the story.

>tfw girls aren't korean

what the fuck did she mean by this?

Words are just words, what they say and where they lead is what mattes.

Araby is a cute little story in itself, not "uneventful" at all.

Thinking of doing English lit at college but don't wanna accidently let my pleb get exposed. I'm dyslexic and ting Senpai, so my spelling and punctuation is shit-tier.

#yolo fuk spelling mang

Finna do eng lit at college anyways