Recommendations:
>Fantasy
Selected: i.imgur.com/r688cPe.jpg/
General: i.imgur.com/igBYngL.jpg/
Flowchart: i.imgur.com/uykqKJn.jpg/
>Sci-Fi
Selected: i.imgur.com/A96mTQX.jpg/
General: i.imgur.com/r55ODlL.jpg/ i.imgur.com/gNTrDmc.jpg/

Previous: Kindly use spoiler tags when appropriate to facilitate smooth discussion.

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/raw/YnwwCxY1
bradrtorgersen.wordpress.com/2015/02/04/sad-puppies-3-the-unraveling-of-an-unreliable-field/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

first for bakker eternal GOAT

So who are the top 10 SFF writers this century so far?

>Bakker
>Abercrombie
>Sanderson
>Guy Gavriel Kay

And then idk.

>John C Wright? (Golden Age/Orphans)
>Brian Stayvley? (Chronicle of Unhewn Throne)
>Jasper Fforde? (Shades of Grey)
>Peter Watts? (Blindsight)
>Robert Bennett? (Divine Cities)
>Miles Cameron? (Traitor Son Cycle)

Does anybody have the Spurdo Bakker pic?

Damn Bakker taking over these threads. He is good, amazing, but not a good.

Some interesting recommendations though.

I have read everything from that list, except the Jasper Fforde and Rober bennet. Any of them good?

I didn't like Sanderson, Guy Guy and golden age. Abercrombies "young adult"series sucked sooo hard.

>Abercrombie

"no"

what is that? the new author pic?

I like his books, but the guy is weird looking, also he has a wife and a daughter(I think). I wonder if she gets teased by her classmates...all that rape after all, doesn't help someones reputation.

Meme bear in golden armor talking about ciphrang and no God and ending with "praise the Logos xDDDD"

If you're gonna go purely for popular writers then include people like lynch who at least pick a gimmick (dialogue in his case) and do it well

I wasn't going for anything at all. Fforde is pretty underread.

Lynch is terrible desu

No it's a pic of Kellhus as spurdo.

"Gnosis and logos, not tekne and DICKGIRLS"

C.J. Cherryh and then nine other motherfuckers all fightin' each other over second place.

>Female writer

Why not stay in reddit?

Did she even write anything good nowadays? On her goodreads profiles front page all of her books are written before 2000.

>implying le Guin is bad

No user

You are the reddit

>this century
>1988

You could do a top 10 of females and come out with a much better list than most posted here

>Kvothe is a Gary Stu
>but Kelloggs somehow isn't

Nice cognitive dissonance

Both are awful, but Bakkerfags pretend there's some kind of a excuse.

Kellhus literally goes insane at the end of book 2

Kvorhe gets called a sex master by a goddes of love as a 15 year old virgin

This is bait, but I'm still replying

I havent read Kvothe's story but Kellhus really isnt a Gary Stu

If "Gary Stu = he's powerful" then you really dont know what that term means

quick list a main character that isn't a Mary Sue

Severian.

As promised, part 2 from the 'Ring of Light' quintet.
Part 1 was posted in the previous thread to general praise.
Part 2 is much shorter and it's a direct continuation to the first part, the journey of Hao to find the Ring of Light and end a war.
Also comfy pics from where I live, as per usual

Every character in every classic ever?

Aaand, forgot link

pastebin.com/raw/YnwwCxY1

>Kvorhe gets called a sex master by a goddes of love as a 15 year old virgin

I was actually thinking about reading those books, but I am quickly losing all interest. How are these books so critically acclaimed?

Dunno, fantasy fans are mostly cretins?

1. Fantasy readers like shite
2. Fantasy critics don't care

It's basically male twilight
The likes of Trudi Canavan get so much shit for their stories and then name of the wind comes along, does the same thing, and is acclaimed

Acclaimed by who? Reddit?

It was billed as the next Harry Potter but quickly developed into shit because Rothfuss is a narcissistic, fedora tipping faggot

>perfect memory
>handsome
>strong
>smart
>all women want to fuck him
>everyone kinda does his bidding, even Guasacht admits so
>becomes autarch
I like my boi Severian, but niggas mary sue.

Falcio, Locke, Gotrek and Felix, Croaker

Notice how I'm naming schlocky adventure characters and even they don't fit

Are you forgetting all the time's he's shown himself to be considerably narcissistic, fraudulent, and plain stupid?

>Severian
>reliable narrator

He's only ironically stupid

>that guy arguing that length adds to the complexity
wow

What is the word used in Malazan
Xerces?
Xerses?
Xerxes?
Cerses?
Serses?

I think it means peace? Like elysian?

She pumps out a Foreigner book practically every year.

rothfuss is a fucking egomaniac who thinks his books are hot shit so he constantly shits on his fans, and given that reddit has some very deep complexes in their psychology they draw closer to him, like a wife loving a husband more when he beats her, it would explain the following he has, which is mainly reddit, and yes he is shit at writing
His story wouldn't be so fucking bad if he wasn't self inserting some god tier fantasy oh I'm Kvothe I'm the best at everything and I learn everything super fast and did you know I'm literally the best at everything I can do everything I want etc

>Rohtfuss
This review hits it on the nail really.

Not finished yet but I am starting to think that the Emperor made some errors, both with the mission statement of his crusade as well as regarding the way he handled and distributed leadership concerning his primarchs. Also, some parts of their education and conditioning may have been glossed over as well.

To understand Rothfuss, all you need to do is post his goodreads bio

What's wrong with Abercrombie?

I thought The Heroes was one of the better fantasy books to come since the beginning of the 21st century. Sure he has his issues, but the man can write decent characters which seems to be rare in fantasy. That being said I haven't read his Young adult series, but I have heard it's pretty bad and some of his first law books are also quite poor.

Abercrombie is so preoccupied with subverting fantasy tropes he forgets the book also has to be good.

His main series relies too heavily on inverting tropes and doesn't really stand up beyond that. The heroes and best served cold are much better imo

Gotcha back, Famasûrimbor

Surcease.

Thank you user, you are truly my greatest ally

Just your thread reminder that the Sad Puppies are so autistic they can't handle not being able to judge a book by it's cover.
bradrtorgersen.wordpress.com/2015/02/04/sad-puppies-3-the-unraveling-of-an-unreliable-field/

>That’s what’s happened to Science Fiction & Fantasy literature. A few decades ago, if you saw a lovely spaceship on a book cover, with a gorgeous planet in the background, you could be pretty sure you were going to get a rousing space adventure featuring starships and distant, amazing worlds. If you saw a barbarian swinging an axe? You were going to get a rousing fantasy epic with broad-chested heroes who slay monsters, and run off with beautiful women. Battle-armored interstellar jump troops shooting up alien invaders? Yup. A gritty military SF war story, where the humans defeat the odds and save the Earth. And so on, and so forth.

>These days, you can’t be sure.

>The book has a spaceship on the cover, but is it really going to be a story about space exploration and pioneering derring-do? Or is the story merely about racial prejudice and exploitation, with interplanetary or interstellar trappings?

>There’s a sword-swinger on the cover, but is it really about knights battling dragons? Or are the dragons suddenly the good guys, and the sword-swingers are the oppressive colonizers of Dragon Land?

Oh that sounds like what I heard, what the hell, it means cessation or to cease, was it meant like, we want cessation like it would bring elysian peace or something? That's the context I gathered at least but I might remember wrong

The Sad Puppies are irrelevant now, Vox used them to strengthen his own shit smearing campaign and threw them away when they outlived their usefulness.

>n high-school Pat was something of a class clown. His hobbies included reading a novel or two a day and giving relationship advice to all of his female friends despite the fact that he had never so much as kissed a girl. He also role-played and wrote terrible stories about elves. He was pretty much a geek.
>He is advisor for the college feminists, the fencing club, and, oddly enough, a sorority. He still roll-plays occasionally, but now he does it in an extremely sophisticated, debonair way.
No wonder Kvothe is the way he is, it's Rothfuss trying to make up for his gargantuan betahood.

I like the part where he tells Agia that recent events remind him of a story that Thecla once told him, she says she has no interest in hearing the story, so he recites the story word for word in his mind to himself as they walk together in silence.
What a colossal autist.

I bought a book with UFO's on the cover and it was about a guy searching for his gay lover in New York.

I pirate all my books I never even see the covers
I just look at reviews and ignore everything except for: if it's praised for it's liberal ideologies, if it has a "strong female/+lead"* or if it doesn't"

* Term used improperly every single time for the past 10 years
Strong female lead example: Lara Croft in the first Tomb Raider video games
Not strong female lead: Anything in the past decade

You just know that a book is worth checking out if reviewers (I only look at 1 or 2 star reviews on goodreads) are complaining about misogyny or racism or any other shit that triggers the libs.
Mind you that itself won't make a book good, it will just make it less probable to be shit. And you kind of have to be running a numbers game when you're deciding on what to read next in fantasy without recommendations from others because this genre is over-saturated with complete shitty garbage

From what I can remember of Malazan he uses it often as the noun form of "cease". So "without surcease" means "without stopping".

What a colossal badass
He don't give a fuck whether Agia listens or not. Also he spoke it out loud and Agia heard the story too, but he wasn't paying attention and Severian just told the story, and admitted to tell the story for himself anyway.

Man I could swear there is a word that sounds very similar to it that actually does mean peace, or maybe I'm just retarded Well I technically am but still , I need to get the ebook and check the context of when that word was used again, I knew it was used multiple times in the last 2 hours of when I stopped the audiobook recording, welp time to find the chapter

>Jasper Fforde ... good?
That book he mentioned is, in my opinion.

T o what end? Leaving me in a place wher e I am hunted, pursued wi thout sur cease?
I t f lowed viciou s an d wi t h ou t su rcease

So I guess the context actually was cessationlessness(?), having no end, thank you user, I was mistaken, you were true

If /sffg/ is so well tuned to excellent prose and story telling, why aren't you faggots topping Rothfuss and Sanderson?

Most of them cant even finish a short story, its all memery

What are the must reads after the Horus Heresy Trilogy?

Because being able to tell if something is good/shit is different from actually doing it yourself, not only that but it takes shit loads of time to actually write a novel, and to deal with the prerequisites, what the world is like, what it's history is, what it's people are etc, of course you can just wing the history part like rothfuss just bringing it up when convenient but having a functional understanding of the world you're writing in is a must for a good fantasy novel

Do you need to know how to build a car, or even have built a car before, to judge the quality of a car you have driven?

No, but someone who has would have a better eye for a quality car than someone who hasn't.

The question is "why arent you surpassing said shit?"

And the truth is this: you dont have the skill.

Yeah but that's all worthless when the car barely drives, even if the engine is top notch quality and the interior shines like marble

>No, but someone who has would have a better eye for a quality car than someone who hasn't.
My brother's a fully trained mechanic, he can tell me practically anything that's wrong with my car

He'd have no fucking clue if I asked him to build me a car

>Want to write good fantasy
>Start by avoiding 99% of the genre and taking from books that aren't fantasy

Am I off to a good start?

True, but this is a SFF discussion thread on an image board. If you want professional criticism then you have come to the wrong place. If someone doesn't like the criticisms others are offering then they should counter with their own points and not try to invalidate the discussion itself.

So? You are most likely garbage at a lot of skills as well, should I think less of you? Does that mean nothing you says matter? You likely haven't published anything either, why should I listen to what you have to say about literature?

If you don't like what others are saying about authors you like then explain to them why they are wrong. Yeah, they will most likely throw insults back at you, but then at least you know you got the better of them and others will see that as well.

Rothfuss fans on here just look mad that others have caught onto his supposed bullshit. I haven't read the guy, but if I was trying to decide to read him or not screaming, "well, let's see you do better!" isn't going to make me want to pick up his books.

And no, I haven't read Rothfuss yet.

>So? You are most likely garbage at a lot of skills as well, should I think less of you? Does that mean nothing you says matter? You likely haven't published anything either, why should I listen to what you have to say about literature?
Lol I actually have. And no, I dont think less of you or anything like that.

I'm just answering the anons question which you seemed so keen on dodging.

If you don't read fantasy you might struggle to write a fantasy book the fans of the genre will actually want to read.

But diversity in reading is good. You might take inspiration from something that isn't often done in SFF and your book may be all the better for it. But there is a reason this thread goes by faster than pretty much anything else in Veeky Forums so the genre isn't at a complete lost (yet).

Oh look it's another day of "The stuff I read is intellectually superior to the stuff you read. Feel bad about yourself and kneel down to my superiority!"

>Rothfuss fans on here

There are no rothfuss fans here

Yeah, you just described pretty much all discussions on this entire board.

The false superiority is a result of newfags stampeding the site. Literal underage children are possessed with too much pride and shit up everything they touch.

Welcome to Veeky Forums

>But there is a reason this thread goes by faster than pretty much anything else in Veeky Forums

Because this genre is just so broad you can fit anything under fantasy from barely fantasy to whole universes filled with magic
It's also a very popular genre and a genre that gets multibook series constantly instead of the stand alone books the Veeky Forums outside of this general "discusses"*

* By this I mean they shit on / praise to the skies the flavoured book of the year which happened to be, when I checked a few months ago, Infinite Jest

Bill, the whole series is completely inconsistent and filled with just really stupid shit.
The Emperor is an idiot.
And so is almost everyone else.

Anyone here read Worm?

Read something that isn't shit, faggot.

I wasn't a part of the discussion initially since I don't like talking about authors I haven't read yet. I just don't think countering criticisms of prose by asking the other person to write something better is a terrible argument. It doesn't actually address the criticisms launched at Rothfuss and regardless, if anyone tries to write better prose than him it won't 't bring about a satisfying end to the debate/argument.

Maybe there are, but they don't want to get insulted for daring to enjoy something. I know anons like to feel good about themselves and say they are so much better than reddit, but the circlejerk is as strong here as it is over there.

Read any of the Infinite Jest threads? Circlejerk.

Honestly, I don't really disagree with anything you wrote. It's also true for the most part.

nicememe.jpg

From /r/fantasy's top books I see.

The Worm Ouroboros? Are you a fellow dino!?

The anons question was simply

>If anons hate Rothfuss/whoever so much why dont they surpass him?

and I answer with the simple fact, they lack skill.

The question begins and ends with user's own taste and skill. The author in question is probably the least important part of the discussion

Okay, maybe my autism is flaring up, but I'm pretty sure that was not a sincere question. Is it not clear user is trying to dismiss the criticisms towards Rothfuss by asking his critics to do better? The discussion was about the supposed faults of Rothfuss' writing and of his characters, how can he not be central to the question?

It's not the same thing.
I've been meaning to read it tho, it seems really great.
Last two sf novels I've read were Dispossessed and Iron Dragons Daughter, but I don't think I'll be coming back to sff in a while, I'm closing the point where I've read 2-3 books by most great authors so it doesn't keep opening in the same way philosophy does, which makes sense of course, one being 2300 years older than the other.

Thoughts on this series lads?

On book 2 and I'm enjoying it..

I don't see any indication that he cares for Rothfuss (and Sanderson) at all. What we do know is that both authors are constantly held with derision in these threads. I haven't read much of either so I have no real opinion of them.

I actually did read a sample of The Way of Kings not long ago...I didn't really care for it, but I'm sure it has its other qualities.

Welp, perhaps I misread, but in general I don't think such questions contribute anything though.

I actually like Sanderson quite a bit. I know his prose may not be the best, but he generally has very interesting plots and good characters. Way of Kings is excellent if you enjoy a more traditional epic fantasy with the author putting a unique flavor in familiar ideas. Though I admit, one of the characters that gets PoV chapters is pretty awful to follow initially. Her chapters are few and they get better near the end, but it can be a slog at times. Overall though, I enjoyed the book enough to put the next one on my to-read list.

Post part 3 user. I dig your prose. It's so simple yet so complicated and difficult to follow. It feels like reading the bible t b h
I'm hooked now and I might as well see how it ends since it's free anyway

>Writing your own sff books
>Not just writing journals to critique them or make long ass youtube videos about how bad the ones you don't like are and tossing in what you think is good to appear well rounded

Decent but drags on too much in the later books

I didnt say it adds complexety,pleb. I sais bakker has a better chance at complexety because lenght. A subtle difference

Complexity isn't a virtue.

I dont understand this meme. Someone explain this shit

Read the books and it'll make sense

Never said it was
I understand the books,i dont get the meme. I know thats kellhus...but what is the origin of the meme ?