What is this hack shit? Why do people think this is good?

What is this hack shit? Why do people think this is good?

This entire fucking Arya plotline is absolutely abysmal, and I'm convinced it serves no purpose other than to lengthen this already lengthy plot nonsense. She's not grown at all as a character since the first god damn sentence she's been introduced, and every single small chapter of her story is exactly the fucking same. "Wow she's safe going home, uh oh something happened now she's not. Wow now she's safe going home, uh oh, something happened now she's not"

I already know the Hound's going to take her back to the Lannisters because this shit is predictable as fuck, and that's going to make her entire arc these last 2 books utterly pointless. Either that, or it's another pointless detour and Arya will somehow be saved only to be thrust into doubt again.

How the fuck did this guy get so much praise for his "characters" or "plot"? I'm so fucking sick of it. I'm thinking of literally just putting this book down and never touching this hack again.

The last paragraph is quite nice.

>read pop genre fiction
>surprised it's shit
This board might not be for you.

>You can only read philosophy or the classics
>You must never take a break

:^) Sorry friendo, you won't bring hurt to my butt.

I'm only reading this because literally all of my siblings praise the shit out of ASOIAF and GoT, so I figured it'd be nice to participate in the conversations.

In my best defense of GRRM, the war-torn Riverlands has always been the center of ASoIaF because it embodies the result of war and its effects on common people, which is why he spends so much time with characters wandering around it both during and after war. We get habituated to the war-torn landscape instead of just hearing about it. It seems the final books might eventually converge on the Riverlands in some way again.

Arya's psychological arc would also be difficult to believe without a slow transformation by becoming accustomed to witnessing and committing violence, much of which takes place in the company of the Hound.

Also, if you hate this, you will hate A Feat for Crows.

>women
>no character development

But that's realistic, you cuck

Btw I'm a redpilled virgin hehe

>I already know the Hound's going to take her back to the Lannisters because this shit is predictable as fuck

Spoiler alert: he doesn't, it was never his intention to give her back to the Lannister. He wants to take her back to her mother and brother to gain profit or something.

I just read this.

Don't spoil nothing senpai, but desu it seems like just another delay in the story.

The whole plot is a series of delays. It's what happens when these publishers want a big fantasy "epic" and find chucklefucks like gurrrm who are self-indulgent enough to rope them along for decades.

What was the point of the "the girl has no name" plot line that took up the entire season 6?

Its like she's training for this weird cult thing and then says fuck it at the end when they attempt to kill her.

I don't think anyone seriously into literature thinks it's good.

>character thoughts in italics
Ugh, where does this come from? Dune does it too, and it's incredibly annoying. Is it a genrefic thing? Have any critically acclaimed writers done it?

My friend's mum who's a postgraduate English professor thinks this is a decent series

Not joking try r/books

Tried reading the books, abysmally written and too long for their own good.

The show and ASoIaF wiki are more "fun" desu.
MFW I'd rather just knock off each characters arc, and each setting's history in one wiki sitting with hyperlinked cross referencing than convince myself that reading stuff like OP's pic is worthwhile.

>When the Blackfish is going back to retake Riverrun

>A way a lone a last a loved a long the riverrun, past Eve and Adam's, from swerve of shore to bend of bay, brings us by a commodius vicus of recirculation back to Howth Castle and Environs.

Come on, Gurm, get your shit together.

Faulkner utilized this technique in most, if not all, of his masterpieces.

IIRC in The Sound and the Fury it indicates a shift to a different time period, and I don't recall it being used the same way in other books- at least, not a single sentence 'character thought' in the middle of a narrative paragraph.

I'll have a look, but I'm doubtful.

Faulkner actually wanted the different time sections in different colors of the same font. He did not want to use italics.

>it's a fantasy novel with a female character named some variation of a two-syllable "A" name as a stand-in for the author's conception of a sexualized moan

Arya really isn't sexualized though. Daenerys is the sexualized one, which is fucked up since she's 12 when the book starts.

Pretty sure GRRM is a pedo. It's not like Lolita or something like Leon the Professional. It's really just sex with a 12 year old.

So you take a break from quality fiction to read garbage which you yourself admit you didn't like? Nice way to spend your time.

I used to do this when I wasn't a very good reader. Quality literature was hard work and sometimes I needed some trash novel to relax. After reading more and becoming a better reader, I've grown to love the work of real literature. I tried to read a King book the other day and couldn't get out of the first chapter.

>Le condescending post meme

I enjoy classic literature and philosophy as well. Why should I force myself to be excluded from conversations with the people I talk to the most just because they're talking about pleb shit? You're not better than me because you choose to ignore certain books, you're just stupid and you rely on the opinions of others on what to read instead of reading and judging it for yourself

Poor reading comprehension or just pure butt hurt?

Fucking retard
1. High literature is enjoyable, if you ever feel "burnt out" (whatever that means) consider taking your time or a break; using trash-fiction as a rest is akin to eating vomit for dinner just because you usually eat a well-made meal every day.
2. If you don't enjoy high literature then why are you reading it at all, to show off like a pseud?
3. "participate", your fault for associating with people like that. Most individuals in my social groups have excellent taste in at least one art, and when they don't they don't incessantly bring such things into the conversation when the rest won't enjoy it.

ur fault for reading fantashit

No you're just an asshat

I read a song of ice and fire when I was 13 because I got triggered hard when people were saying it was better than tolkien

his writing style is really blegh, he goes into the most detail about the most minute of things, hundreds of pages out of the thousands are literally so trite it's hard to believe he wrote this while awake.
(especially in the fourth and fifth book)

I do enjoy high literature you idiot. I already explained my reasons why I'm reading this.

I didn't say anything rude at all. You just sperged out.

And i already explained why they're bullshit

He intended there to be a five year gap in between each book. The problem was that he thought there would be three books, when he realised it was going to have to be longer he had to scrap the idea. The problem with this is now he has several characters with nothing planned so he has had to fill in with random shit. Now the random shit is getting in the way of what he actually wants to do and is getting bogged down in the thicket he has made for himself. It's not that he's self indulgent, it's that he is awful at planning.

"oh when I was retarded and young I read bad shit, but now that I'm mature that means I read the good stuff unlike you kid haha"

I already explained why they're bullshit.
Nice strawman