Is it worth reading?

Is it worth reading?

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Quixote-Penguin-Classics-Cervantes-Saavedra/dp/0142437239
amazon.com/Don-Quijote-Mancha-Edición-Francisco-ebook/dp/B00AWWD72O/#nav-subnav
twitter.com/AnonBabble

yes dummy

son, its top 3 of all time probably.

Definitely. I don't know if the edition you have has annotations giving context of what he was referencing, but it is very important to know them. Works such as Amadís de Gaula are referenced throughout the work by Don Quijote (often a sentence or two in a paragraph so long it seems a monologue) and it is more engaging if you get them.

In Spanish it is written very fluidly and it's hard to get lost even though paragraphs can be quite lengthy and the dialogue very adorned.

What would you recommend as good edition that has those annotations? Does it impede the flow of things?

>Is this story, considered universally to be considered one of the best works ever written, worth reading?
You tell me.

Maybe?

I have a Spanish edition by the Real Academia Española, the body that regulates the Spanish language (a few European languages have such bodies). I don't know if any edition similar to this exists in English, unfortunately.

amazon.com/Quixote-Penguin-Classics-Cervantes-Saavedra/dp/0142437239

Same person. From looking at the preview that Amazon offers, this looks good. The translation is solid and the notes succinct enough to not interrupt the flow.

I've been reading this for a while now and I'm only 140 pages in. Should I just put it off to the side until I'm more well read or should I power through it?

Are you having this much trouble with it? What translation are you reading? Bear in mind that Don Quixote is an old book, which references a lot of things that don't really exist anymore and that some of the writing (depending on the translation) is old-fashion on purpose to show off Don Quixote's craziness. If the definitions of these old words are your problem you should power through it, if not you should become more well read first.

WHAT IS BETTER? PART 1 or 2?

Should I read some chivalric romances before starting Quixote? Seems like it would give it context but I dunno.

Just read the fucking book you goddamn dilettante.

Part 1 is the hard satire and parody of his time, the true Quixote charm is here.
Part 2 is a more refined continuation of the story where the character progress and change a lot.
Obviously read both but you'll feel the difference between them. I've read three times now, gonna start the fourth pretty soon and I still can't tell which one is better or which one I prefeer.

...being willing to do background reading seems like the opposite of being a dilletante. Wtf

Step 1:Get off Veeky Forums
Step 2: Read the fucking book.
Step 3: Never come back to this aweful place.
Step 4: Get laid.

cry about it

My mom gave me the Barnes and Noble version for Christmas. It has a good bit of references in the footnotes and all. I've enjoyed the book up to this point but I'm not getting as much out of it as I feel I should be

It makes fun of all people that are not heartless progressivist realists...
So no.

Cervantes was a die-hard romance fan.

>A new translation by Edith Grossman
No.

Acquire Motteux.

I'm half way through the book and I honestly thought that Amadís de Gaul was just a literary device until right now.

Does it have that status because it's old or because even today it is high quality?

I haven't learned any Spanish since graduation (about a year) but I was pretty good. In Veeky Forums's opinion, would it be worth it to take a few months to a year of work to become fluent so I can read classics such as Don Quixote with the original text?

proto-postmodernism.

Yes. Though Don Quijote uses strange and arcane writing methods (purposely though) that can be difficult even for a native speaker. But after a while you get used to it. It also uses very dated words. But works like this or Gabriel García Márquez' are better read in Spanish because a great part of their charm comes from how the language flows. Especially the latter's works. I am pretty sure English readers dislike 100 Years of Solitude because it just doesn't work the same translated as it does in Spanish.

Read it in Spanish a few months ago.

The Francisco Rico edition is top-tier, if you can get your hands on it:
amazon.com/Don-Quijote-Mancha-Edición-Francisco-ebook/dp/B00AWWD72O/#nav-subnav