>>713076632

Which mushrooms are good? And how to cook them?

I've only had shitake and brown. But want to try something more exciting.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brugmansia
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Morrels, frondosa are my favs. For general use. Richest nutty flavor that I've experienced.

There are some more unique varieties like lobster that are worth trying for their novelty imo

Nice I've heard morrels are delicious.

What about yellow oyster? And portabelo?

Frondosa (hen of the woods) are nice mushrooms. You can actually grow them yourself, unlike most wild mushrooms, if you're so inclined. And obviously morels are incredible- pricy though.

If the brown mushrooms you're talking about are criminis, then portabellas are literally just bigger ones of the same mushroom. Oysters are fine but not great imo- super mild flavor. If you're going for cultivated mushrooms, my favorites are king oysters- super thick stem and small cap, but you can eat the whole thing and they have an incredibly meaty texture, especially if roasted. Just cut in half lengthwise, cross-hatch the cut surfaces, drizzle with oil/butter, salt, and herbs, then roast until deeply browned.

As for my favorite mushrooms, I'd be torn between pine/matsutake, chanterelles, and morels. Honorable mentions to black trumpets, lobster, and hedgehog mushrooms.

Pine mushrooms have a super firm texture much like king oysters, but they're WAY more intense in flavor. While well-cooked king oysters have a sort of meaty/savory flavor, pine mushrooms have this incredibly aromatic cinnamon/pine flavor. You should be able to easily smell it from a distance in a store- if you get up to them and the smell isn't incredible, they're not fresh enough.

Chanterelles are super versatile, with a great mellow fruity/buttery flavor and a tender texture without getting mushy/spongy like some mushrooms do. They're great in a huge variety of dishes and preparations.

Morels have a super rich nutty/earthy flavor and they look really nice but they can be a pain to clean.

Good thread.
Gonna input, if you can find puffball mushrooms you're in for a real treat. Some smaller varieties take on a cheese curd like texture if you fry them up whole (without the stringiness of course) and have a super nutty, earthy and sweet flavour. Giant puffballs almost melt in your mouth and are super meaty, they also freeze very well.
If you live in the northwest you can sometimes find boletes in the forest as well. They cook up a little bit slimy if you just sir fry them, but they're some of the most "mushroomy" mushrooms I've ever tasted. Zeller's Boletes are really really easy to identify (bright red stem, mis shapen brown head, no gills), and are absoloutely delicious. Sadly they're out of season now

Chsnterelles all the way. Living in oregon, I have a nice patch I go to when I need to stock up.

Boletes are GOAT dried mushrooms because they're so damn mushroom-y. If you're making mushroom soup, toss a handful of dried boletes into the stock, heat it up to a boil, then shut it off and let it steep for an hour or so and strain. It'll add a lot of flavor to it.

Magic mushrooms. They're really exciting.

Has anyone ever tried shaggy mane before? I saw some growing in a ravine near my house but I wasn't sure how to use them.

This.
I put some in a bologna sandwich my first time. I thought I had the day to myself, but my wife left to get her hair done and left me with our toddler.

Have you guys ever watched spongebob? I mean like, really watched it?
It's fucking GOAT.

Sulfur shelves are called "Chicken of the Woods", because they're edible and taste like sort of bland chicken. The flesh is fairly tender and white too.

>Take mushrooms before hanging out with your toddler.

Man I'm an experienced tripper and I still wouldn't dare do that shit.

That sounds incredible. I might have done that this year but all the great patches I found were just beginning to go.. next year is gonna be great though

They're really good, but you have to get them cooking in under an hour otherwise they will literally melt

enoki

Looks like candy corn.

Thanks for the great contribution to the thread.

I'll try pine mushrooms, as I like the sound of a way more intense flavour. Also king oyster and chantrelle are in my list.

I was planning on sauteing them, but tou said to roast the king oyster. Is that the best method?

Also, I saw some Chantrelle mushrooms today, but they were a brownish colour instead of yellow, so I didn't buy them. Are they still the same when they're that colour?

Wholefoods has them. You sold me on the cheese curd texture.

What shall I eat it with?

Go to azn grocery store and get some of everything. Put them in a stew with stuff like seitan, dumplings, and mustard greens. Don't get dried mushrooms with sulfites. That stuff can cause headaches.

Imo roasting is the best technique for king oysters. Their biggest asset is their texture, and roasting brings it out the best. Pine are great roasted too but also just as good sauteed, and chanterelles and morels I'd probably saute rather than roast- they're too small and delicate to hold up well to roasting, they'd get dry unless you were really careful.

You probably saw winter chanterelles, also known as yellowfoot chanterelles. Did they look like this?

They're still really good, but not as good as the standard chanterelles imo. There are also white chanterelles (similar texture to the standard ones but a bit milder flavor imo) and blue chanterelles, which are awesome but very rare comparatively and REALLY expensive. Great if you can forage them yourself or know someone who can, but you probably won't see them otherwise.

Blue chanterelle picture, in case anyone is interested.

>Dad told me a story where he and his friend gave grandpa magic mushrooms and plopped him in front of the TV to watch pirate movies.

Black trumpet mushrooms are good. Just butter, salt and pepper. They were everywhere in N California.

Psilocybin are the absolute best mushrooms.

It’s exciting.

I wasn't planning on watching my kid during my trip. My wife just changed plans out of nowhere, and she knew I had already ate my special sandwich

I remember my friends dad telling me that you become somewhat clairvoyant while tripping. This is true.

I was playing with my son on our inflatable bed, (we just threw out our mattress and were waiting for a new one) and I had a sudden sick feeling in my stomach that something bad was going to happen. Almost immediately afterwards, my 1 1/2 year old son flipped backwards off the bed. I grabbed at his arm and pulled him up, but I was seriously worried that his arm would be ripped out of his socket.

He was fine, but it still freaked me out.

King oyster Mushrooms are great sliced into half inch thick rounds and sauteed with butter and soy sauce. I'm gonna try roasting them too after reading this thread

Morels are great when you can find them. They love to grow under apple trees. If you can find an abandoned/cut orchard you will find them in abundance in the proper season. "When the oak leaf is the size of a mouse's ear, hunt the morel under the apple tree." Sautee whole in butter with garlic, and serve over buckwheat pasta. Delicious.

Not too informed about mushrooms, but can any botanist inform me about these giant honey suckles I've found? The honey isn't that much and idk if these are worth the effort. Are they too big?

Why are you asking about plants in a fungus thread?

I'm not a big mushroom fan cause they kinda creep me out, but these little fuckers are absolutely GOAT in soups and stews. Wikipedia says they're known as honey fungus, but something tells me they aren't the same thing. I had them in a chicken stew while in china, and the translation is hazel mushroom.

Try seeing if there are wild edible mushrooms where you live. I live in oregon, and we got sick nasty mushrooms all over.

I guess this is a slight deviation from the standard destroying angel post, but I'm not sure what you are getting out of it.

>I wasn't planning on watching my kid during my trip. My wife just changed plans out of nowhere, and she knew I had already ate my special sandwich
You are a terrible father and your wife is a terrible mother.

It's impressive that two retards stumbled into one another and sired a son.

fucking lol dude

just pick up any you see out in the wild and cram and many of them as you can into your mouth and swallow. Trust me on this,.

Ok interesting, they are definitely the ones in your picture. I eyed them up all all year daring not to guy them because they're way too expensive for me. When I decided to go for it finally yesterday they just happened to be replaced with the brown grayish kind, to my disappoingment.

Are you saying the type I described are actually the better ones? Haha

I could start hitting the crack pipe right now and still be a better father than yours was.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brugmansia

Fuck the fuck off.

How is he a bad dad? His son was left with him after the mushrooms when it was too late. If he knew he would have to look after him he obviously wouldn't have taken them.

Good advice. I live ina big shitty city but I'll look into this.

>How is he a bad dad? His son was left with him after the mushrooms when it was too late. If he knew he would have to look after him he obviously wouldn't have taken them.
His wife should have never left her son with someone who ingested mushrooms. Period. What were here plans and why were they so important that she should leave her son with someone who is impaired and delusional?

Why would he have not called a baby sitter or a friend or family member to take care of his son? There are many ways someone responsible could have taken care of this situation, and it doesn't involve taking care of a child while on mushrooms. This is millennial-tier thinking applied to parenting.

My father is highly educated, has a $6 million net worth, and provided for our family of 6. He wasn't playing video games on mushrooms when he should have been watching us.

But I suppose user's kind of behavior isn't shocking if you grew up in a similarly neglectful atmosphere.

Sure he does user. My dad works at nintendo.

>I believe everything I read on Veeky Forums and IT MAKES ME ANGRY

Really? Man youre lucky, I have to find my own haha. We eat them with sautéed vegetables at our house. They go really well with red wine or a malty beer if you just fry them with butter and garlic!

I love harvesting this stuff. It's terrific if sauteed in a lot of butter. It's also very good in curry dishes.

I usually harvest chanterelles and sell them to local restaurants. It's not a bad way to make some easy cash during summer months.

>>How is he a bad dad? His son was left with him
>His wife should have never left her son

Holy fuckeroons you're stupid. I don't think him and his wife are the same entity buddy.

Also how do you assume user has family that will look after his son. Or are suitable people to do so?

Why are they so expensive if you can seemingly pick them like berries?

How much can you make a month?

I have several sites that I harvest from over the course of a month. If climate conditions are right, I can harvest 2-5lbs from one site per visit. I sell each pound for $15, so over 4 weekends/month, I make at least $120. In really good months I can make over $500.

That's pretty good. I'm surprised people leave them alone for you.

I collect on private land.

>Ywn be so high on mushrooms that you talk to your wife about watching your kid when you actually have no wife or kid and live in a dark one bedroom apartment shitposting on Veeky Forums

one day...

So you trespass?

The kid was really his cat. It didn't fall off the bed, it was trying to escape.

No. I have owner permission.

what are the cheapest mushrooms i can buy? i live in the us

The common ones you see in every supermarket produce section obviously.

Did you just arrive from a remote tribe to America?

For me, it is pic related

If my wife insisted I look after our son after I ate mushrooms I would say fuck no and she has to either cancel her plans or drop him off with family.

I just learned of these watching a show on cable called "filthy riches"

which are better ? chicken of the woods or hen of the woods ?

>Why are they so expensive if you can seemingly pick them like berries?
They can only be picked in certain forests, they are highly perishable, seasonable, etc.

I was in areas on the east coast this fall that were FULL of chanterelles and hedgehog mushrooms. I couldn't possibly eat as many as I could have collected everyday.

Enokis are my personal favorite and I've yet to find a meal they didn't fit nicely into. First had them at a Korean BBQ place and been in love ever since.

And in the USA they call plum sauce "duck sauce". Doesn't mean it's not the same thing.

Oh man, that sounds amazing. I wish I was closer to the wilderness and could just find some.

I'd probably find a lookalike and die, though.

I wonder what this tastes like

I enjoy chicken of the woods more so than hen of the woods. I sold the specimen in that picture for $40 to a local restaurant.

>I sold the specimen in that picture for $40 to a local restaurant.
Either bullshit or the restaurant is literally retarded.

that's not surprising in the slightest. good wild-foraged mushrooms sell for a ton of money.

VICE has a couple of documentaries about guys in the mushroom business; it's surprisingly cutthroat. check them out sometime.

The latter, but I am the only person in my area that forages and provides shrooms to local restaurants. I pretty much set the local market.

>that's not surprising in the slightest. good wild-foraged mushrooms sell for a ton of money.
A single chicken of the woods specimen for $40 is absurd. A restaurant buyer that knows anything about wild mushrooms would never agree to that.

$40 was more than what I expected to get for it. However, this is only the 2nd chicken of the woods I've found in my 5+ years of living and foraging here (Mississippi). The chef that bought it had been expressing interest for a long time, so I harvested it as soon as I found it and named a price. He was so excited he didn't even haggle.

Yea because you can make people do stuff in real life. When she refuses, do you wrestle her? That would be a nice scene for your son.

Just say you're wrong, because your agrguament has been going on for a day now and hasn't made a single bit of sense. It's ok.

I know that chef. He told me he fucked it up good and didn't get to serve a single piece of it.

I tried not to laugh.

fuck

it's 'psilocybes' you underage fucktard

This is a good thread. Let's go deeper.

Does anybody know what makes mushrooms grow in certain areas?

Inb4 obviously damp.

Yeah...OK

Symbiotic and mycorrhizal associations with surrounding plants.

You could have put it a bit plainer.

OK. Symbiotic associations with surrounding plants.

Fuck you.

What do you want me to say? That particular species of fungi, like chanterelle, appear to grow in close proximity to specific types of surrounding vegetation (i.e., in this case, primarily oak forests)? Jesus, butthurt user, you have Google at your fingertips, just like I do.

Just explain it to me. What exactly happens in to cause it?

The means by which the symbiotic associations form isn't generally well understood. Might be genetic predisposition towards forming associations with particular taxa. Could just be the formation of opportunistic associations. This isn't my field of expertise, so I'm going to have to tell you to go to this site (scholar.google.com), type in "fungal symbiotic associations", and read up.

Going by general laws in nature; poison.

Ok thanks. I thought you were just trying to be a smart ass by not dumbing it down.

No, no smart ass intended in my answer. The symbiotic nature of fungal relationships is what makes culturing prized shrooms, like chanterelles, so difficult (but obviously desirable). Figure out what factors govern chanterelle associations and adapt it to large-scale farming; you'll be a rich user.

Very fascinating.

I'm quite partial to portobello steaks.

Marinade them in the following for an hour, then grill.

Olive oil
Soy sauce
Teriyaki sauce
Worsherstire sauce
Balsamic vinegar
Minced garlic
Onion powder
Salt and pepper

Comes out very savory tasting. One of my favorite ways to cook mushrooms.

Nice.

Generally speaking, symbiotic relationships between organisms can be loose or very host-specific. For example, some fungal species only cause disease or form beneficial relationships (symbiosis) with certain species or genera. Others can interact with a wide range of plants.

It is complex and a result of their individual evolutionary histories. The fungus may produce spores that only germinate in the presence of specific hosts due to host-specific cues, is capable of evading the recognition and subsequent immune response of the plant host, etc.

There is a lot of research in this area because it is incredibly important in understanding and controlling plant pathogens.

In terms of edible mushrooms, many of the prized species form symbiotic relationships with forest trees and cannot be cultivated by humans, because we don't have the knowledge to effectively emulate the substrate/host/environment conditions necessary for their growth or mushroom production.

For example, I've grown Morchella species (morel) in culture. The spores germinate on standard media in Petri dishes and the colonies grow FAST. But getting them to form fruiting bodies is another matter; I had one Petri dish dry out and a single, tiny, deformed morel fruiting body formed, but I probably couldn't replicate it if I tried. Large-scale morel cultivation is happening in China though.

I can never get enough of papanka. Fryin' that shit with garlic is heaven on steak.

I sold Armillaria but never tried it myself. Common as heck and the Poles loved it.

Wow this stuff is amazing. What type of scientist are you?

And what are they doing right in China?

What mushroom varieties are the most delicious raw? It seems like most of the more exotic ones I've tried, though totally delicious once cooked, don't stack up to the common white when eaten raw.

Why do you want to eat them raw?

Chessnut mushrooms can be eaten raw.

Where can I buy these? Can they be ordered online dried?

I know you can get plugs for them, but I'd like to try them first before attempting to grow them.

I am a mycologist; I don't work on mushrooms but I have some knowledge on them. I wasn't actually aware of morel cultivation until I recently received a paper to review that mentioned this. See attached pic, it's pretty impressive!

you should have let him finish the flip, what if he landed it? could have been sweet