What are your favorite chapters from Ulysses?

What are your favorite chapters from Ulysses?

The Telemechiad in total
Hades
Circe
Eumaeus

I like the one that switches from person to person quite a bit, don't remember what it was called

Ithaca and then Proteus.

Ithaca is so beautifully sad.

1. Ithaca
2. Circe
3. Sirens

99999. Scylla and Charybdis

This.

>99999. Scylla and Charybdis
This
also
99998. Oxen of the Sun

Oxen of the Sun is amazing.

The one where he rambles incoherently and I pretended to understand it. Big fan.

Hades and Nausicaa where probably my favorites. Liked Cyclops and the one before Ithaca (Eumaneus?) a lot too

Wandering Rocks? I like that one a lot too.

I read it yesterday
I'll have to read it again before it could climb up the list
Reading this thing was some fucking chore

its terrible and exists only for joyce to show-off

I have multiple favorite parts of Ulysses and I haven't even read the book lol.

Proteus is prime banger

Sirens, Penelope and probably Ithaca in that order.

Nausicaa

>pseuds don't like syllabus and charybdis cause it hits a sore spot

kek

the one where he throws a bunch of riddles and allusions and references in every sentence and people think it's deep because they read joyce's sparknotes that he gave to his friends to leak to the public

As autistic as this is, I think I can still rank them even though I read it over 2 years ago:

RIVALING SHAKESPEARE TIER:
1. Circe (absolutely no contest; it is the core of Joyce's literary/psychological thought, which Finnegans Wake serves merely to unpack and transform variously. Seemingly written in another world.)
2. Sirens (just magnificently beautiful, no matter what the critics say)
3. Ithaca (Joyce's favorite, ingenious switches between the divinely meditative and the pedantically comical, etc. etc.)
4. Oxen of the Sun (a stupendous achievement on purely technical grounds, and the logical conclusion of allegorical literature, at least for Joyce)
5. Cyclops (just a rip-roarin' good time. Possibly the funniest stuff I've ever read.)

GENIUS TIER:
6. Scylla and Charybdis (magnificently self-indulgent; it is also where the novel comes closest to explaining itself.)
7. Nausicaa (serenely meditative, funny, and highly erotic all at once. Also has an absolutely masterful ending.)
8. Penelope (obvious reasons)
9. Proteus (not super enjoyable on a first read, but it is perhaps the most artistic infodump possible. Although transcendent beauty does, of course, creep in at times).

GREAT TIER:
10. Telemachus (I may be biased, but it's hard not to have a high opinion of the chapter that introduced one to the whole world of Joyce.)
11. Calypso (again, it's hard not to like the chapter that introduces you to Leopold Bloom).
12. Lestrygonians (in my opinion the most successful of the essentially realist chapters, after Telemachus and Calypso, the two introductions to the novel.)

SUCCESSFUL TIER:
13. Wandering Rocks (somewhat overshadowed by the two sections surrounding it, but still a masterpiece of psychology. Also interesting to see things from the perspective of the minor characters in the story for a few paragraphs.)
14. Aeolus (I found it something of a drudge to get through the first time, but I suppose that was partly the point. Also prepares you for the strangeness to come. As funny as Cyclops at times.)
15. Lotus Eaters (nothing to write home about really; it is like a relatively unadorned part of a great cathedral; it inherits the greatness of the surrounding pieces, but doesn't itself contribute to that greatness a great deal. Just gives us some more time with Poldy before things start to get weird.)

MEH TIER:
16. Nestor (apart from the rightfully famous closing lines, I just didn't think it was that great. Then again, it is the shortest section in the book. Just more erudite spitefulness with Stephen.)
17. Hades (I frankly just found it a rather boring chapter. It provides us with some key information about Poldy's past, and there are of course gleams of genius, but it just can't stand up to other parts of the novel. It is like a lesser mural in a great cathedral, which one feels could be so much more.)
18. Eumaeus (I understand, intellectually, what is going on in this chapter, and I appreciate it. It just isn't pleasant to read.)

Proteus is fucking great
>His shadow lay over the rocks as he bent, ending. Why not endless till the farthest star? Darkly they are there behind this light, darkness shining in the brightness, delta of Cassiopeia, worlds... I throw this ended shadow from me, manshape ineluctable, call it back. Endless, would it be mine, form of my form?

>Who watches me here? Who ever anywhere will read these written words? Signs on a white field. Somewhere to someone in your flutiest voice.

Hmm, indeed. Maybe I'll have to put Proteus above Nausicaa and Penelope in my ranking.

I appreciate this post even though I don't agree with everything.

in particular I urge you to give hades another chance.

G O B
O
B

Cyclops
Scylla and Charybdis
Ithaca

>plebs disliking the GOAT Scylla chapter

Circe, Cyclops, Hades are probably my top 3. Ithaca and Telemachus are great too. Didn't dislike any chapter, though Proteus gave me a lot of trouble and Sirens and Penelope were more difficult (for me) than I had anticipated. Oxen of the Sun, however, wasn't near as bad as I was expecting and I thought it was pretty funny at times.

I agree with most of what this user said, in particular his top three and his bottom three.

I've never read this book can I use your tier list as my own opinion?

Yeah, sure.

Thanks.

Ahem that wasn't me and no you cannot. Not because I am vane--I totally abhor the concept of intellectual property--but because Ulysses is simply one of those books you must read for yourself. It is one of the Great Works of Man.

Circe.