What books are you plebs reading?

Your diary desu

Awful choice.

Portrait
Loving Joyce's style so far.

Volume II of Gibbon.
Alaric is about to absolutely BTFO Rome

The plague.

Pic related. Also Perennial Philosophy by Huxley and Mario Puzo's The Godfather in my vehicle.

Borges complete fiction

Complete Stories of Kafka. On Description of a Struggle right now

Going to finish Moby Dick tonight

Just wait for Ulysses

Currently on The Slynx

Fiancé just got me the J R reprint so that'll be next

Chekhov and other essasy by Shestov.

Pic related, on part 1, chapter 4 atm.

It's hilarious, but it's definitely a poor man's Pynchon.

Nice. What part are you at? I have had for three weeks and can't bring myself to finish it.

On the last chapter of "The selfish gene"

I like to read stuff that matters by people who understand it.

Homeric hymns and apocrypha

fear and trembling. Abraham was a pretty cool dude

Confessions by St. Augistine
Foundations of Human Knowledge & Three Dialogues by Berkeley
Cleopatra: A Life, by Stacy Shiff
This is your Brain on Music, by Daniel Levitin

So far I'd recommend all of them. The latter is the easier to read and very interesting, I'd recommend it to everyone.

Allport; personality.
Lindsey Marvell; TMT an interdisciplinary approach.

I'm currently reading sense and sensibility. Jane Austen's prose has such depth and grace, I cannot stop reading her

Just finished A Very Short Introduction to the French Revolution and it was fucking great. Which was a surprise because the only other book I'd read in that series, on the Russian Revolution, was shit. But this one was fantastic, perhaps the most informative 100 pages I've ever read.

I'm also read Break, Blow, Burn by Camille Paglia. It's cool, but nowhere near as good as Glittering Images.

Also on the final book of the Corem trilogy, which is super dope.

Kind of stalled on Moby Dick but I plan to get back to it soon. It's as good as everyone says.

Also reading on and off in very short bits Plus by McElroy. It's ... interesting. Hasn't taken off yet, but I'm not far.

I also started Portrait of the Artist (damn is it good) and I Am A Strange Loop (not doing much for me yet) and Titus Groan (ditto).

Oh and I'm technically still reading The Bible, though that's been very off and on for like two years now. Left off at the start of Isaiah.

this bro. it's a hell of a ride.

Salem's Lot by Stephen King

My dad gifted me all of his first edition Tom Clancy novels. So currently reading Patriot Games.

Moby Dick

ive wanted to read this for a while now

I'm sorry.

Morchen's "Macht und Herrschaft im Denken von Heidegger und Adorno".
It's even drier and more convoluted than his prior work, but it still somehow gets the points across. Which is a small miracle in and of itself, mind.

Harry Pottr 3 and Azkabans Prisoner
pretty goods but not as good as #2

>stuff that matters
spook'd

Breakfast with Lucian by Goerdie Greig
Biography on Lucian Freud, pretty entertaining so far.

Against Nature by Huysmans

in the penal colony by franz kafka

check these dubliners by james joyce

J R, then Tristram Shandy, and Gargantua and Pantagruel. you know, pleb shit.

Europe Central by William T Vollmann.
Blow Up by Julio Cortazar.
Collected Poems of William Carlos Williams.
Laughter of the Sphynx by Michael Palmer.
Kingdom Animalia by Aracelis Girmay.

Slaughterhouse-Five

joyce's portrait, the holy bible, and "philosophies of art and beauty"

It's on my to read list at this very moment. Few things ahead of it including a reread of Dubliners

Just start chapter 2

American Psycho

Star Wars: Hard Contact

Moby Dick, about 150 pages in.

La Peste.

leave

marryat's dutchman
I feel like a kid lol.

Siddhartha. I just finished Infinite Jest, Tao Te Ching and watching the Big Lebowski

a brief history of seven killings and harold bloom's how to read.

reading makes me feel stupid a lot.

First time? I envy you.

How's that compare with the two main poems? Does 'Homeric' here mean 'by' or 'in the style of'?

>watching the Big Lebowski
Have you watched PTA's Inherent Vice?

The plays of Aeschylus. I've still got Prometheus Bound and the intro and I'll be moving on to the next curly-bearded, empty-eyed, pale-skinned dead white guy.

I wanna read the book first, I have it coming in the mail soon. I can finish Siddhartha fast (and can tell it is highly re-readable, it's brilliant, beautiful writing). Inherent Vice would be my first Pynchon novel

inherent vice

Brief History is great. Once you get an idea of all the characters (characterization is one of the strongest aspects of the novel, if not the strongest) it becomes pretty easy.

Infinite Jest 24 pages in. In the conversationalist part is the conversationalist trying to sound like he's smart I can't tell what the fuck is going on in this scene senpai.

Only like 5 chapters in right now but that first chapter from Sir Arthur was great. Barry seems like a total hypocrite shit head who we are just supposed to hate so I'm curious to see what comes of that.

Why does Harold Bloom aways look like he is holding in a fart?

Why does Harold Bloom always look like he is holding in a fart?

I'm going through all of Shakespeare. Haven't gotten to any of his major works like Hamlet, Macbeth, etc., yet, but what I've read so far has been pretty good. Romeo and Juliet was really nice, and I'm surprised that people find it so polarizing.

Before continuing on with the plays I'm going to read Venus and Adonis and his sonnets, and maybe the other big poems he did if I feel like it now, but either way I'll get to them eventually.

Hey dumb pleb, what books are you reading?

I can't find anything by Shestov anywhere. Where did you get it?

I will betray my homeland سأخون وطني :Muhammad al-Maghut

Having just read A Brief History of Ancient Greece I've now moved onto Hamilton's Mythology. I have this worry that twenty one is too late an age to reap a significant reward from serious reading. I'm enjoying it though so there's that.

How is Vollmann?

Flowers for Algernon

V.

the Koran (allah akbar edition)

Infinite Jest. @ page 200.

Every book I read after this is going to feel like a breeze.

There's a chapter about a guy who is addicted to weed around the start of the book I really liked.

nice digits spicy sam

anyway I'm reading Inherent Vice

Superb

Gorilla Mindset. Afterwards gonna read Mr. Mercedes and Don Quijote.

infinite jest @ page 578 and the collected poems of yeats (my first real poetry book) for contrast

Reading Gatsby again, it's been years, and yknow most of the characters feel familiar not because I know them but because they seem like people who'd be alive today

Nick is a cynic who lives in his own head, Gatsby is an immature moron who places the pussy on a pedestal, daisy is a superficial, selfish and flightly bitch who can't engage with her true motivations because she's always focused on how the world sees her etc etc

Yes people like this have existed all through history but in the context of our current socio-political goat fuck they seem more vivid and relevant than ever. I hope someone agrees

Oh god Holden you're such a faggot

Hahaha

Inherent Vice was a very underwhelming film. I haven't read the book--maybe it was untranslatable source material.

The film Nice Guys feels a lot more like reading IV did than watching the IV film.
It's based on a book too but I haven't read it.

About halfway through Ulysses. Started V. and Blood Meridian on the side.

Finished Stoner yesterday, now reading Portrait of Dorian Gray

Curiosity by Ian Leslie, and some short stories by Flannery O'Connor.

How accepted is this pic? I don't want to go following advice that's bullshit

I'm 36 and started reading at 33. I have been rewarded by reading every single day since I started.

how did you manage to hold off for so long?

just read

Stoner was a 10/10
Dorian Gray has been good so far too. Cant speak for the rest though

It's the Loeb collection of all known works attributed to Homer -- whether accurate or not.
In particular I enjoy the various hymns to the gods including Aphrodite and Dionysus. These usually preceded larger works that are now lost to time.

Homeric simply implies in the style of or attributed to -- Homer. It was a worthwhile purchase as I understand it influenced a number of later writers to include Pound and Yeats.

wat

That's really good to hear. I knew I was just being a faggot.

The Pale King by DFW

I just didn't know what literature was and what it could do. I guess I'm not very smart, tb quite h.

Thanks. Do you happen to know who's translation it is? I hear those Loeb's are expensive. Maybe I can filch an ebook from somewhere.

Thucydides' Histories

Fahrenheit 451

>Anti-Intellectualism in American Life by Richard Hofstadter
Just started reading, trying to be open minded to what he has to say

>IJ
meme'd hard on this one

martin l west

paid 24 dollars on amazon

I'm about 300 pages in. I feel the same way about certain parts, but some do hit home though desu

On my first read it was hard for me to see a bigger picture while retaining some of the earlier passages. ~200 pages in you'll get a grasp of characters, and you can flip back and skim and kind of piece things together. On my recent reread of IJ I enjoyed it even more.
Oh hell yeah. And a year later when you reread IJ, it's going to read even easier.
21 here too. Nah man, it's not too late.
Why are you reading it? I finished the bible a couple months ago and I'm interested in the Quran. Can you or anyone else recommend how to go about it?
I definitely have to reread Gatsby soon, because I feel like a dumbass for not remembering everything about it.
How do you like it? How much of DFW have you read? I've only read IJ and Brief Interviews. I've loved them both but I've put him off for later.

I only started it a short while ago so I'm too far in but I'm liking it a lot, the opening in particular is beautifully written.

I've read Brief Interviews, and about half of IJ, I liked the former but at the time couldn't get into the latter. Though I feel like giving it another shot now. I've also read bits of his non-fiction, Consider the Lobster being the highlight for me.

*not too far in