>Letters From a Stoic (Seneca)
>Kafka's collected works

Don't know/haven't read most of yours
>Kafka's collected works
>Crime and Punishment
>The Sorrows of young Werther
>Harry Potter
>Faust
Haven't read much yet. Recommend me shit.

>Abaddon el exterminador (Sabato)
>Finnegans Wake
>Moby Dick
>The Satanic Verses
>Lyric Poetry (Sor Juana Ines de la Cruz)

19/m/usa
>the road
>hard rain falling
>huck finn
>the sound and the fury
>crying of lot 49

>Gravity's Rainbow - Pynchon
>Middlemarch - Eliot
>Transformations - Sexton
>The Age of Innocence - Wharton
>Ulysses - Joyce

>Huckleberry Finn
>Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
>Siddhartha
>The Garden of Forking Paths
>Book of Ecclesiastes

>Infinite Jest
>Ulysses
>Gravity's Rainbow
>Lolita
>Blood Meridian

>Infinite Jest
>Infinite Jest
>Infinite Jest
>Infinite Jest
>Infinite Jest

>Fear and Loathing
>Grendel

Ada, or Ardor
Gravity's Rainbow
Tender is the Night
White Noise
Lolita

Which Harry Potter?

>A Clockwork Orange
>The Art of War
>A Song of Ice and Fire (they count as one)
>Brave New World
>Battle Royale

>Pale Fire
>Stoner
>White Noise
>The Crying of Lot 49
>King Lear

All 7 volumes of In Search of Lost Time by the one true Veeky Forums God, Marcel Proust. Oh, you said only 5? You'll take my 2 arbitrarily removed volumes of ISOLT when you pry them out of my cold dead hands. Fuck your limit of 5. If you have a problem with it say what library is nearest you and in the one in a trillion chance it is within reasonable distance from me I will meet you outside of it in 24 hours and literally engage in physical combat with you, you fucking cock sucker.

>Bible
>On Writing
>Grapes of Wrath
>Watership Down
>Infinite Jest

Stoner really that good?

Also check out Hard Rain Falling

>Fahrenheit 451
>One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich
>A Canticle for Leibowitz
>Sophie's World
>Desert Solitaire

why are people comfortable admitting they read King now? faggots had the proper shame back in my day.

Meant the series as a whole.
But if i had to choose probably 3.

>The Outsiders
>The Beginning of Everything
>The Painted Man
>The Desert Spear
>Looking For Alibrandi

God-tier picks tbqhf

>Frankenstein
>Middlemarch
>Metamorphoses
>To The Lighthouse
>Dubliners

The Painted Man is criminally underrated. I wish it was discussed more here, I feel like not many have read it, and it's a shame.

>1984
>Brave New World
>Catcher in the Rye
>Infinite Jest
>Ulysses

>Metamorphoses

shit picks, refer to -->

are you Veeky Forums it's very self?

Refer to ->

What? It's a great work.

Refer to ->

Metamorphosis is, idk about Metamorphoses
Listen kid, do me a favour and refer to this user's list, -> might learn a thing or two

Agreed. That opening line is killer.

why should I refer to it?
as

Because as far as I can see, that's the only list I've seen with any god damn sense.

Great taste user

this is elaborate bait

I thought I was the only one that had read The Painted Man, masterpiece it is. Doing my philosophy major dissertation on it.

so, but they don't look like my cup

I love everything about it, man. Its version of Achilles made me want to revisit the Illiad.

Metamorphosis? I think you wanted to say Die Verwandlung.

>The Outsiders
If this is the 50s classic I think it is, then i applaud your taste bro

Google can help you hide your ignorance next time.

This was meant for him. But I just noticed I'm being rused.

Really> I hated his Achilles if I'm honest, as much as I wanted to love it. Come to think of it, I hate all of his work?

I don't understand

Tfw try to comment and the capcha says "identify all pictures of a patio" and i don't know what a patio is.
am i pleb Veeky Forums?

yeah, i don't think his Achilles is a nuanced, but there were some great moments,
>What else can fill the speech of an Achilles? And if others speak within the presence of the greatest greek, and anything but valor be their theme?

Really hard so these are not in any particular order:

>Anthem
>The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
>Tarzan of the Apes
>One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
>Macbeth (do plays count?)

I know this stuff is simple but I like it. There's also lots of books of short stories I like but idk if they would count

you're not pleb, but youre fucking weird. how do you not know what a patio is? have you ever been to a friend's house?

you're excused if english isnt your first language

>Illuminatus! Trilogy
>VALIS
>The Diceman
>Invisible Cities
>Principia Discordia

been trying to read higher brow stuff lately, i'm halfway through Portrait and it might get on my list if its going where i think it is

I was born into an english speaking language of patricians, we own a castle in Scotland. And no I don't have many friends and those I do have live in low-end apartments.

>Pleb detected
Refer to if you want to better yourself.

what was your favorite part of huck finn? Mine was when he rips up the note and says "alright then, I'll go to hell." I think it's great because it shows how he really did change and was practicing true Christianity rather than hypocritical, slave holding Christianity. It broke my heart that he was willing to go to hell for someone. I also really like the part where he asks Tom why a genie can't just take the stuff the people wish for for himself

>Notes from the underground
>1984
>Lord of the Flies
>Master and Margarita
>Make Room! Make Room!

Holy shit is everyone on here such a pleb?
REFER TO --

The only thing on that list I've read was The Outsiders. I'll check some of it out. It's not like the stuff on my list is the only stuff I've ever read though, it's just the stuff I've really enjoyed

Are you saying you have never read The Painted Man?

Oliver Twist
Watership Down
Man's Search For Meaning
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's nest

Recently got back into reading so I'm pleb as shit but oh well.

Catcher In The Rye/1984/Brave New World (all books I enjoyed from high school)

Stop it, you're embarrassing yourself.

No, I haven't really read anything new. One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest is the most modern thing I've ever read

You have some good picks, and I think you could get into serious lit pretty easily. The best way of doing so would have to be going through these:
One by one and when you've finsished, read them again and again until you feel you have a grasp on them. Once you are done with this, I'd like you to email me a 3k word comparitive essay on all the aforementioned texts. Email address is [email protected]

You are SUCH a fucking pleb Jesus christ. Is all of Veeky Forums like this?

Refer to And come back when you're not such a normie pleb faggot.

That's okay, one flew is a great novel. I'd recommend you read The Painted Man, and then if you enjoy it (I put the if in out of formality, it is no question that you will enjoy it) then you should move on to The Beginning Of Everything

I just realized my mistake, The Outsides came out in 67 and Cuckoo's nest is 62 oops. So yeah Outsides is the "newest" thing I've read

Leningrad: 900 days
Epictetus' discourses
On China, Kissinger
Brothers Karamazov, P&V's English
Thus Spoke Zarathrustra

okay great! I have a big pile of books I have to read, but I will remember that.

Yeah, good luck user :)

Ulysses
Moby Dick
Agape Agape
The Trial
King Lear

1. Absalom, Absalom!
2. Crime and Punishment
3. The Violent Bear it Away
4. The Sound and the Fury
5. Petersburg

My top five's pretty fluid, though.

Nice lists, but another notable mention in the English literature canon, would have to be the Demon Cycle series. The first one, 'The Painted Man', is about as good as long novels get. Unbelievably gripping, and immerses the reader immensly with its comfy storyline. I would recommend all of you Veeky Forumsizens, give it a go. There is one book left in the series, comes out perhaps some time in the next 2 years. Call me crazy, but I think it is the greatest book series of all time, and 'The Painted Man', is the single greatest piece of literature ever conceived by mortal men (Tim Winton is immortal, doesn't count)

Dam this thread's p shit famalam

>Under the volcano
>The Tunnel
>Ulysses
>Moby Dick
>Gravity's Rainbow or Pale Fire

I like you

I've had Petersburg on my list foreverrrrr

This is a shitty joke

You're a fucking autistic asshole.

Umm try again sweetie, maybe next time you should refer to
>

My top five has books that I've read more than once. Petersburg's a great novel. Even Nabokov heaped praise upon it.

Complelmentary (you)

Now kys

kys

Ok sweetie, you might think that you know something about the literary canon but you don't know the first fucking thing. I bet you just look at lit top 100 and read every single fucking meme book off of that list while ignoring the books that fall into the abyss without ever seeing the light of day. Of course the book in mind, is The Painted Man by Peter.V.Brett. I am among the very few who have read this, and I will do whatever it takes to promote it and give it the literary credit it deserves. It infuriates me that the only books being read are wither y.a or supposed "canon" books. Have you ever wondered at what lies inbetween? Well wonder no more, read the fucking book you cunt. Pic related is my most recent copy, I'm about to go read it in maximum comfort (hence the comfy clothes)

>Looking For Alibrandi

this user is an aussie baiting

>Implying Looking For Alibrandi isn't goat

fucking aussie shitposters, why are they on lit now

bump for interest

i've read it too, pretty damn good

>hunger games
>twilight
>50 shades of grey
>the fault in our stars
>divergent

I like the irony that arises from Huck's naïveté and the backwards social mores.
That bit with the fools being the majority in any town is also great.

refer to

>Catch-22
>Slaughterhouse-Five
>Theatre of the Absurd plays
>The Grapes of Wrath
>The Catcher in the Rye

Ive wanted to read the dice man and the Illuminatus! trilogy for a long time. Thanks for reminding me to put them on my to read list.

>It
>Catcher in the Rye
>Fight Club
>A Storm of Swords
>High Fidelity

>The Art of War
>Romance of The Three Kingdoms
>1984
>The Metamorphosis (Kafka)
>Of Mice and Men

>American Psycho
>Catcher in the Rye
>Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close
>Grit: The power of passion and perseverance
>Moby Dick

These threads are shit, and this whole board is generally shit, because nobody ever responds to anyone else.

And my hypocrisy does not invalidate my point.

as a literature postgrad, these picks are pedestrian. try again embryo

>pedestrian
>The Painted Man
pick one

as a mother, I find that statements with a structure like this should get you tossed into the nearest active volcano

Hypocrisy invalidates your point, even if you say it does not

How so?