I am doing a science project...

I am doing a science project, where I'm supposed to make something (more or less) useful from a diy electromagnetic motor. I'm thinking about something like a toy car.

The problem is that the motor will be very very weak, and not powerful enough to power really anything.

So my question is how do I make the motor stronger? Is it even possible? Is it another way to make the motor than the traditional way on the image?

Other urls found in this thread:

radioshack.com/products/magnet-wire-set?variant=5717684613
radioshack.com/products/radioshack-high-energy-ceramic-magnet?variant=5717850885
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>diy

can you explain to me how that motor works?
what's that tire on the bottom?

suggestion: use an amplifier to increase the voltage or something? Idk im just a dumb physics undergrad and I belong on /x/

It's a permanent magnet. I think the magnets magnetic field acts as a opposite force to the currents' (that goes through the coil) magnetic field. Making the coil rotate.

how about a vibrator?

but if it were opposite there would be no rotation

Make a nice windwill of that, focus on the decoration.. makes it so much more magnificent than it actually is, be a good salesman for once.

that shouldnt be spinning, the setup in pic will align itself parallel to the magnet then plop down and stick to it, because those flimsy wires can barely hold the weight of the coil

just make a cooling fan or something. Those are pretty usefull.

Also, if you want stronger motor, you need more power, perhaps a 9v or 2-3 AA's could give you good power.
If you have the tools or resources, you could use gears to make it stronger. Wheels allow you to change speed > torque and torque > speed.

but in reality a diy motor can only do so much...

stronger current
more windings
stronger magnetic field
bigger coil area

making the coild bigger will also add inertia though

You know if that wire was longer on both sides it will act like an antenna, creating a lot of interference.

reverse the wires and install fan blades on the rotor. Tell your teacher you turned his useless motor into a windmill turbine.

Get a bucket of water and make a toy boat instead of a car. The toy boat will move no matter what.

>science project
>make something out of a magnet

Seems more like and "Engineering Project" to me.

Step the wire guage up and add a second AA battery in series.

Decrease the air gap, use stronger magnets, use more coils, use iron cores.

TL; DR total redesign

This. Add more loops around a piece of iron in the coil.

Add another battery too.

I've made one of these before, it was quite strong would definitely drive a toy car. The trick is to use 9v batteries in series, careful though cuz you can get very high voltage this way. I used the best magnets i could buy at radioshack stacked a few on top of eachother, also bought some thin magnet wire and got a few hundred turns, even with an air core that thing really moved.

attached cell phone pic of my motor, commutator made by scraping the paint of of half a cloths hanger wire

Hey thats spinnin pretty gud

Yeah the only downside was to get it started you had to position the commutator in the correct place. Its possible to add a second coil at 90 degrees to the first coil that picks up the dead zone, and add another set of magnets. Then the motor would turn from any position, using the gatorade bottle as the frame add some wheels directly onto the sides of the motor and a single wheel in front for steering that thing would drive around pretty nicely would just waste a bunch of 9 volt batteries.

How can this motor even work without commutator? Wouldn't it just sit in place having stopped in equilibrium?

not op, but the coil is magnet wire. It has a thin coating which insulates the wires so you can wrap them many times without shorting them out, then the easiest way to make a commutator is the just scrape off the insulation from one side of the wire and position it so that it starts on the side without the insulation and the motor will spin fine being driven only every half turn, the other 90 degrees is a dead zone.

also it won't stop in equilibrium it will oscillate sinusoidally if there is no commutator. After rotating 180 degrees the current is reversed and the motor wants to rotate the other way

Oh, I thought that whole end of wire is uninsulated, and not just half of it

sorry 180 degree dead zone with only one set of magnets, with 2 sets of magnets there is no dead zone.

This is the simplest possible design i have seen for a permanent magnet motor.

Bigger battery
Stronger magnet
More coil windings
Also use thicker wire to increase the sturdiness of the motor so you can actually drive something with it.

dc motor starter kit

magnet wire:
radioshack.com/products/magnet-wire-set?variant=5717684613

permanent magnets:
radioshack.com/products/radioshack-high-energy-ceramic-magnet?variant=5717850885