How do I into philosophy?

Where do I start outside of the Greeks?

A Critique of Pure Reason?
Thus Spoke Zarathustra?
Meditations?

Your thoughts.

Pic semi-related is "the universe don't be like it is but it do" philosophy book man. He's pretty good.

youtube.com/watch?v=sfX9nmlohxs

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/officialjaden
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Find some philosopher whose ideas resemble a more developed, sophisticated, systemized version of yours m8. Then read him and go "yep I'm right" then read the critiques, then read critiques of the critiques, etc.

Ayn Rand?

read a history of philosopher (Maggees)

read some key works (or use secondary sources to learn their philosophy) of Plato, Aristotle, Descartes, Hume, Kant

then research whatever philosophy you please, use sites like SEP if there's any preliminary info you need before reading a guy (say you're reading Heidegger but want to get the gist of Heraclitus first)

just do it chronologically. Read what interests you as you go through the centuries.

Please don't. You might not like the Greeks and they might not make sense but it's really useful to read if you don't want to be a too big of a pseud.

You use what you liked in the Greeks to determine what comes next:

If you like ethical systems and individuality in systems like Stoicism, jump to the existentialists

If you enjoyed Metaphysical discussions jump to Descartes, Hume and Kant

If you liked Plato and Platonism, anywhere works, but spending some time with the Neo-Platonic Christians, like Augustine and Boethius will serve you well.

Political philosophy also has it's own guys depending on which of the Greeks and Romans you liked.

TLDR: Starting with the Greeks is really important not only for teaching you how to read texts and giving you historical context; they also in only a few philosophers give you a taster of all the schools that follow.

What's your end-goal? To become more knowledgeable? To find happiness? To put your dick between some fleshy flaps?

Also Veeky Forums hates to admit it but reading the greeks from secondary sources or at least heavily annotated primary sources is much more efficient than blaring through a bunch of poorly researched translations and getting a superficial understanding of it all.

twitter.com/officialjaden

>What's your end-goal? To become more knowledgeable? To find happiness? To put your dick between some fleshy flaps?

1 and 3.

I don't really plan to be a pseud about philosophy or discuss it whenever I can. I just want to read it for myself and use whatever knowledge I gain from it however I can/when its appropriate.

Pick some words from the dictionary. Label objects of your perception. Ask people whether they agree with the labels you chose. Randomly take the opposite position that you're comfortable with when defending a label. Forge a Degas. Make up a game. Modify the game so you don't want to play it, and play it anyway. Acknowledge and give credit to sources. Plagiarize and measure how long it takes to get caught. Where were you when you got caught? Read Henry VIII. Read The Winter's Tale. Assume historians are liars. Assume everyone is a liar and see what conclusions you can make. Assume your mother is a liar. Assume she is a saint. Assume everyone is telling the truth and see what conclusions you can make. Assume anything you want and see what follows. Listen to people, don't listen to people, do something in between. Memorize passages, then revise them. Don't memorize passages, and still revise them. Don't memorize passages and don't revise them. Calculate factorials up to 17! while waiting in line at the Post Office. Listen closely. Don't listen closely. Hit on an ugly waitress. Assume I'm wrong. Listen to me. Don't listen to me. Doubt me, praise me. Touch a stranger's hair. Be stubborn. Don't be stubborn. Illuminate contingencies. Make contingency tables. Erase them. Write them in ink. Burn them. Obfuscate the truth. Don't deny the truth. Praise the truth. Don't praise the truth. Read "Metalogic" by Geoffrey Hunter. Do all of the exercises. Email his next of kin your answers. Define all the primitives from the 4th chapter. Supplement this with the History of Taxation in Angola. Supplement that with the History of Metallurgy in Djibouti. Supplement with the South American Archaeological Record from 400 BC to January 2nd, 1990. Supplement with 1st printings of National Enquirer. Supplement with 16th century Prussian Meteorological Records. Compute 'e' to 50 digits. Find Kant's birth records. Track the frequency of surnames ending in consonants within a 10 mile radius of Tolstoy's place of birth from his birth to now up to the second you read this. Build a model airplane from toy stores in Nebraska in 1967. Build an acronym. Build a semantic web. Sketch a velocity profile. Compare legal systems from different countries during different time periods. See what happens if you remove clauses. Plot changes in borders. Compare tax rates in Western China during the 16th century to tax rates in Eastern Australia during the 18th century. Read about telegraphy. Read about personal life of Joseph Henry. Read about the history of Harvard University. Read about Scotland. Throw darts at reference books from Springer and memorize the terms hit. Make logarithm tables up to 5 digits. Make cross-language semantic tables from the month of February, 1427. Make inter-language semantic tables from the year 1940. Check your heart rate every Wednesday at 3:14 PM. Compare to your heart rate on Friday at 3:15 PM. Guess your heart rate for all days in between. Count periods.

where does one go after the greeks?

Learn how to think for yourself.

>dont learn from people more knowledgeable than you, make random stabs in the dark with an entry level knowledge of philosophy
>acting retarded makes you independent!

>ask the most commonly asked question on this board without doing any of your own research
>ignore all of the resources this website has to offer
>call me names and doubt my level of knowledge when I point this out

You're not going to get far with an attitude like that.

i did do my own research

found jack

also i never called you names nor doubted your intelligence friendo, i said that not using others knowledge when they know a lot more than you is retarded

>I did my own research
>found jack

What could you have possibly found that you consider 'jack'? I spent the last week working through a single page of Edison's biography because of how rich it was with information to be analyzed and followed up on. There were at least dozens of words that I didn't know the definition of verbatim, in English, at least a dozen more relations between words I couldn't identify, Towns mentioned, History of said towns, methods of obtaining primary sources about history of said towns, etc. I was basically wallowing in complete and total ignorance and had to look up every single piece of information I saw from the letters to the punctuation to the content to the dates to the people to everything which was referenced on that single page. Content aside, there was also the text itself that I left un-analyzed. Did I know how many verbs were used? How many unquantified sentences? How many letters? How many sentences? How many lines? How many words per line? How many nouns? How many nouns per line? How many lines per paragraph? How many nouns per paragraph? There was an overwhelming amount of information just from that single page. I hardly believe that you couldn't find anything "after the Greeks" that was of no interest to you.

>I never called you names nor doubted your intelligence friendo

I had considered that as another interpretation of your post. I apologize for accusing you of calling me retarded. It was in error. I was rash.

>not using others knowledge when they know a low more than you is retarded

I sympathize with you, I really do. I instinctively seek knowledge from as many people as I can because I feel quite retarded at all times. Rarely am I satisfied with how much I know, and even less so with the speed at which I know it.

However, you should still learn how to think for yourself. You should exhaust all possible resources before you ask someone else for help. The speed at which I can find original documents, free textbooks, reference books, historical records, really, anything, is simply unprecedented. As much as I enjoyed doing my research in the library, browsing the stacks, combing through obscure technical journals and nonexistent magazines, there is really nothing like doing research with an internet connection.

If you're having trouble finding good information from Google, I will say that most college libraries offer tutorials on research. For example, using site:.edu as a filter for websites will only give you .edu results from Google.

Everything else is simply a matter of creativity.There isn't one way of researching. You're better off "randomly stabbing in the dark" to spark some ideas to get you going, then sitting there, staring at a blinking cursor, feeling bad about only finding 'jack'.

1. Pick a domain
2. Make random connections
3. Narrow domain
4. Expand connections
5. 3.
6. 4.
7. 5.
8. 6.

I'd recommend starting off with Svendsen, he's an easy read for entry-level philosophy, and is quite interesting as well.

Kek

This is categorically a waste of time because human knowledge hasn't actually advanced in a linear progression, and many offshoots of well respected schools of philosophy resulted in useless dead ends perpetuated by the narcissism of pre-enlightenment pseudo-intellectuals.

Ex; all religious philosophy is categorically a profound waste of time and effort on the parts of those who write it, and those who read it.

is that Viper

The Black Ponderer.