Became a dermatologist

>became a dermatologist
>got to skip all of the meme college major/career charts
>will make ~$340,000 this year working ~9:00AM-5:00PM Mon-Fri
I do science and math every day, and people appreciate me. My skin is like porcelain, and my job is extremely cushy. I took physics for my undergrad, by the way. Have fun making $75,000 per year doing menial bullshit greedy engineering faggots lol. just wanted to add that.

If you want to go into medicine, it will be the best choice you ever made, by far.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=uEFoHpvODmg
cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/65/wr/pdfs/mm6525a1.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

What if I'm not a complete normie tool? What then!?

>wagecuck working the 9-5

>lying on the Internet
Congrats on your career choice op I don't want to work that hard

Nah, sorry, people are disgusting. I don't want to touch them my entire life, especially old people.

As a doctor, you need to be calm and compassionate. That's really it in regards to doctor-patient relationships. I'm with the patient for about 10 minutes on average. It's not as prevalent in dermatology, but we have to be calm and compassionate, always. I get what you're talking about though. A lot of guys throughout medical school were very stereotypical religious people who are just "perfect", always happy, married at like 21 years old, parents wanted them to become doctors etc etc... that's a big stereotype at least.

the NEETbux fairy didn't bless me.

Medical school is not as hard as you'd think. Have you been to university for an undergraduate degree? It's basically level of difficulty, just more of it to do each day.

I'm not going to regularly work 40 hours in a row for like a year just so I can boost my ego. I'm not a normie retard.

>I do science and math every day
damn son

>just more of it to do each day.
umm, no thanks?

I don't want to spend the better part of my youth studying just so I have the privilege of looking at fat people's gross skin up close every day.

>people calling doctors normies

lol doctors are all sperglords
youtube.com/watch?v=uEFoHpvODmg
case in point

only the retarded ones are normies

>finally becomes a doctor
>still has to go out of his way to stoke his ego

Medfags are just sad. Did your parents not raise you right or something? Why are all medfags such normie tryhards?

Yeah I have an undergraduate degree. Idk I just never wanted to be a doctor. Seems like rewarding work if you get to open your own practice, but maybe kinda stressful? I like a more laid back feel

>go to uni to study biology because I like biology
>was a bit slack first year so got some Bs and B-s
>first year classes overlap with medical students
I ruined my chances of ever getting into med because of that. I don't think they'd let me repeat the classes.

>dermatologist
>340k
at least try to make realistic bait

if you aren't trolling though: your entire job is memorization and I'm enjoying replacing your jobs for a living

Some specialties are not stressful at all. My specialty is regularly cited as the least stressful, and that's why my hours and such are so great for a doctor, and that's why I chose it, because I had the opportunity to do so as derma is pretty competitive because of these perks. I'm not going to lie and say that I've always had a passion for skin, nails, and hair. That's pretty ridiculous. I was going to choose radiology before I decided on derma. All of it is interesting. It's a job and there are several specialties I would have enjoyed almost equally, I'm sure. Doing physics in university was my "passion". I did it. I'm glad I did, but I don't need to have a job in it. You don't need to work in what you think you find the most interesting. You do what you're good at, get the perks that go along with being good at what you do, and get your cake and eat it too with your "passion" on the side. I work less than my engineer friends and I make about 4-5x. It just took me an 8 years.

When I was still wondering what I wanted to do, I kept feeling like my choice would affect me throughout my entire life, and it doesn't. There is no "rest of your life" if you know what I mean. You take every day as it comes. Take logical paths. Go where the money is and take the best opportunities. I really enjoyed physics, but I didn't want a job in it, so medical school was an obvious opportunity as they really, really like people who are majored in physics. Life is a day by day thing.

Planning the rest of your life is a total waste of time. You'll blink and be 65 years old. Just do what will benefit you the most while you're here.

>become doctor
>make tons of money BUT
>never have time to spend it
>when rare free time appears too stressed to enjoy

No thanks.

>"passion"
>passion is in quotes

Retard, do you not understand what passion is?

he literally says he works 40 hours a week you retard. how is a dermatologist ever stressed? they get rid of peoples acne for a living. there isn't anything stressful about it and they make bank while doing it

That's way too much, should have gone pharmacy route.

pharmacy is the most boring shit on the planet. literally the accounting of medical specialties

Most boring, or most chill?

>time to shitpost!
the posts

pharmacists make practically as much as engineers and engineers do cooler work so i don't get your point

it's a good thing OP is a dermatologist because you guys need to get those burns treated.

>not going into surgery
Ha ha I knew you were a faggot!

I shadowed a pharmacist so I know. It's boring as fuck. Radiologists have some comfy fucking jobs though. They just sit in a dark room recording their findings from imaging. it's pretty neat. Emergency Medicine and all Surgery is a fucking nightmare though. Dermatology is like a holy grail specialty where you work like a normal ass guy in an office yet you just make as much as a doctor for whatever reason. the guy i shadowed was really nice and was very adamant on how happy he was to choose dermatology. Anesthesiology is okay. from what i shadowed it goes like this IMO in comfyness from best to least best
>dermatology
>radiology
>pathology
>dentistry
>psychiatry

dentistry is also pretty fucking boring.

>got a B+ in required SJW class
>med school off the table

>$340,000

I make more than that, trade and buisness are the most profitable industries.

>being fat former chad

I considered that when I was in high school. I had the chance to shadow some physicians and the satisfaction from helping patients is pretty powerful. You don't help people in such a direct way in many other jobs. It'd be worth even making less than I do, really.

OP is a greedy faggot who is only in it for the money. Fuck you, OP

> more
Care to expand on this?

No, fuck off.

doctors don't make that much in comparison to how much training they're required.
>4 years of university
>4 years of medical school
>4-7 years of training
they'd better be paying hundreds of thousands for anyone to bother with it for fucks sake.

Why does applying iodine make my psoriasis patches go away?

it breaks the bonds in your psoriasis and replaces them with lead(PbM) skin particles

Oh, I'm not arguing that they should get paid less, I'm just saying OP is a cunt. Not once has he mentioned a reason for liking his career other than the nice hours and the salary. Those are the wrong reasons to get into medicine

that's why everyone picks derma or rad though. the hours are great and the work is comfy.

>Those are the wrong reasons to get into medicine

This is what every early med student says, but nobody means it. This response is practiced in the mirror to make it seem genuine.

Bitches don't know about muh ophthalmology.

I never found an ophthalmologist to shadow :(

You don't need to shadow, this is a meme.

Yet you're on Veeky Forums

famous people are on Veeky Forums user occasionally. there are doctors on here all of the time.

there are literally guys that came to Veeky Forums before university and are practicing physicians now.

Have fun dealing with disgusting crater faced dickheads.

Sure I'll have plenty of fun examining the cleft in tween grill buttcheeks. I may even win a Nobel prize for curing assne.

I just saw a derm today. He scooped out some weird ass growth on my arm that was itchy and drvingin me batty.

He seemed nice enough but you could tell he was a bit off. Seems like a really good job but I'm not sure people with normal psychologies could handle doing that every day. For the money though I'd find a way to lve with looking at diseased skin all day.

>This is what every early med student says, but nobody means it. This response is practiced in the mirror to make it seem genuine.

this guy knows some doctors if he isn't one himself. If it's not done for the money, it's done for the prestige. A few surgeons or ER folks really get off on the intensity of the work environment too, though the general surgeons I know are super laid back.

Many physicians hate their fucking jobs and wish they'd done something else. It's nothing like people think it is, especially in modern practice.

dude i'd shovel shit all day for 340K per year give me a fucking break

I don't shovel shit, but I pump it from septic tanks and dirty porta potties.

I make about 40k much of which goes towards education. I can never tell girls that though because, well you know.

40k isn't bad depending on where you live. Why are you spending so much on education?

Nobody really gives a fuck about girls, btw.

I live in Bakersfield.

I have a lot of debt, and now I'm essentially trying to pay for a future too. It has to work. This is my last chance.

I still care about girls. Sort of.

Whta sort of field ar eyou looking to get into?

>It has to work. This is my last chance.

i know this feel user. it'll be ok.

>I still care about girls. Sort of.

THat goes away. They really aren't worth worrying about, but I remember how desperatey I wanted that validation when I was younger. I"m in my mid thirties now and pretty much nobody cares about women.

Mech. E, I'm making progress but anxiety seems to be my biggest hurdle. Just fucking wrecked by it. I actually had a prof recommend that I have a drink before exams today "but don't tell anyone I said that"

I'm 29, younger grils think I'm a creep and all the older ones flee when they find out I haven't settled into a career yet because they want to get married and shit out kids now, and not actually have fun anymore.

You've got something I don't. But I play to my strengths (math) and I think that's my ticket.

I'm can't imagine pumping shit for the rest of my life but there are plenty of gray haired dudes in my crew who have done just that.

keep working on yourself and get your life right for your own sake.

You'll be fine, just be wary of distractions. My life didn't go anywhere until I gave up booze and almost entirely stopped caring about what women wanted.

Before I recommend you benzos, I suggest you dump booze and any drugs you arent prescribed and get a gym membership. I still need benzos, but much much less, maybe one day a year outside of flying. Previously Id be a shaking sweaty mess before work everyday. I'd leave my desk and go vomit some days.

I know how it is when you feel everything is barely held together and that if something goes wrong it's all over. Its cliche as fuck but just take things one day at a time and get good rest.

Thanks user, this was nice to read.

>benzos
I will Google this, it's not something I've heard of.

just in case you get some ativan or something and the doc isn't clear about cautiously using them, I want to make sure you know:

1)Benzos are highly, highly addictive. Take them only as needed.

2)never, ever mix benzos with alcohol in any amount. You will do and say things and you will have no recollection of it. People who mix the two are known to black out and wake up in jail or a hospital.

Dr. user, do you know much about corns?

I've had what I believe to be one on the underside of my foot near my pinky toe for about a year. I'm trying salicylic acid pads for the second time and it's gotten to the point where the corn should have been removed but it's still painful around the area. Should the pain go away once the new skin forms over it?

I can post pictures but I want to see if this can get answered before I gross everyone out with my feet.

>implying you are not a freshie pre med who will be a communications major in January

Show me any documented proof and Ill believe you. MCAT, Steps, or litterally anything. You aint shit.

>Steps
?

Are you the OP?

Yeah

Yeah no, if you dont know that then you are not a dermatologist at least in US.
Fuck off.

I know plenty of docs who have switched specialties because they didn't enjoy it. They've all told me to switch immediately if I ever found I wasn't enjoying my job anymore. There are reasons better than money

MS4 here
Dermatology is like the meme-ist specialty to consider at my university
Every rotation encompasses a list of 40-100 different conditions that you must follow in 4-6 weeks, and many specialties are doable at random hospitals, especially "teaching hospitals"
Dermatology, however, is 4 weeks of modules
Literally the A-Z conditions you're required to see rarely show, and you're forced to sit at a computer and review course modules on different lesions and conditions for 4 weeks, very minimal patient experience and very difficult to obtain honors in the rotation since it's hard to view actual patient cases, and thus, hard to get into a dermatology residency unless networking is your thing
>tfw doomed for internal medicine vs family medicine
>tfw just 6 weeks of surgery call was enough to make me pity all surgeons

>Not becoming an orthodontist.
>Less school
>Work 30 hours per week
>$500,000+ in most areas

I'm assuming private practice here of course, non of this corporate scam nonsense. OP looks like based on your shallow goals you missed the optimized choice.

EYE HAYTE PEWDEWPOE

NEET bux fairy blessed NEET reporting in

i fool the fairy because i get the bux but still do education

And?

My uncle makes $1,500,000 a year selling cosmetics in Asia with no degree at all. He spends 10 months a year playing golf and traveling Europe while people beneath him do all the work.

If we're playing the numbers game he clearly wins.

everyones uncle does something like that apparently.

protip? he doesn't.

Can you help me out then?

I've been using retin A at 0.1% for several years now. a lot of my acne has cleared up but i get break outs now and then. my skin is a bit rough and there is some discoloration . I believe its hyperpigmentation (i have dark skin and I'm asian). What can I take to help with the discoloration and should I continue using Retin A?

corns are usually caused by pressure points. You need different shoes or inserts.

>dermatology
>anything more than looking at skin using the most basic of microscopy
>"I'm doing math and science!"

You can be happy to make a shotload of money and have lots of time to spend it user, but don't try to tell us you are in a math/physical science intensive field.

>b b b b b but I'm doing biology
Lol

k

You can go to a different university and not transfer your credits

>wanting to work on old people's moles and skin as opposed to amazing machines

You some kind of bum boy, lad?

Dermatologists do A LOT more than that. Bad looking skin conditions can often be a reflection of something that is happening internally. Their job is to figure out what. Many dermatologists treat STD's, skin cancer, and a load of other diseases.

Excuse me sir, can you please show me proof of your degree? The reason why Im asking that is because my mom is forcing me to try this anti-acne regime called Proactive, and Im scared of its side effects. Are my fears correct?

Yeah, but can you call people brainlet with the authority given to reputable mathematicians and physicists by the Veeky Forums community?

Can you sleep at night without shitposting with sincerity how much of a hot shot you are in that one chart's god-tier ranking of all that is STEM?

How do you not contemplate suicide knowing you've throw away that one chance at life?

>75000 $
joke's on you mate, i make 8000 $ a year as a chemist with an MSc

what did you get on the USMLE?

what kind of extracurriculars do I need to get in

math/physics undergrad

>not being a dentist and making $400k usd starting

>YEAH BUUUUUT ARE YOU AS HIGH ON THE "EPIK MAJORZ" CHART AS ME??

>SO WHAT IF YOU MAKE 400K A YEAR FOR AN EASY JOB AND I WILL GO TO A SHITTY SCIENCE POSTDOC FOR 30K A YEAR WORKING 100 HOURS A WEEK FOR NO RECOGNITION

>COMPUTERS WILL REPLACE YOU ANY DAY

god you fags are so salty

why would anyone with the intelligence to do science do a PhD in some science? 'muh purity'?

Enjoy going to iowa state university for your phd and never getting pubs, because spaces are so limited and you're not a big enough genius to go to MIT or Berkeley for your phd (even those people will struggle to get pubs, postdocs, etc).

Nobody gives a fuck about 'muh science', wow are you going to circlejerk over proofs or string theory?

>LOL MEDICAL SCHOOL TAKES SO LONG!!! DEBT!

debt doesn't mean shit when you make 400k a year

also, a phd+postdoc takes just as long if not longer except you make less

why would anyone be a scientist vs a doctor, to inflate their E-peen on sites for nerds? I'd rather make big money and have an easier job

dentists make like 180k kek

OP actually went through a physics undergrad program though, which maybe 1% of Veeky Forums has done. 95% of Veeky Forums automatically is like NEETs googling shit to act smart.

kek
dentists dont even need a bachelors degree..

they need a doctoral degree to practice dentistry in america

Do dermatologist even do anything?

Fuck the one I visited was so retarded/lazy. Told her I had acne and rosacea, and that I already used antibiotics and other topical products. She didn't even examine me, just took a glance from far away, prescribed Accutane (which didn't even work) and told me I'll be okay.

Sorry for the rant, I just felt that dermatologist must have an easy career considering that most of their job is prescribing acne products.

>everyone ITT shitting on a doctor
>a fucking doctor
>when they're probably in their underwear in their mums basement after dropping out of Butt-Fuck State University

kek
>what is skin cancer

Good for you user.

However, if you don't own your firm, you have earned a salary for 9-5 monday through friday.

You will be working "off the clock" in meetings, continued learning, on call work and so on.

Now, If I had to work 90 hours a week to earn $340k a year, I certainly would.

But you can't expect a board of above average intelligence to believe you hit an unequivocal goldmine in dermatology.

you don't seem to understand what dermatologists actually do.

They need a DDS but a bachelors is not a prerequisite. Someone can go directly from a highschool degree to a DDS program. Albeit there are like maybe a handful of schools that will accept applicants without bachelors but they exist..

At least chiropractors have to get a bachelors and go to actual med school. DDS is only a two year program.

Idk I think i'll stick with engineering. dermatology doesn't interest me that much. you help people with their skin problems, but other than that, it doesn't benefit society in a significant way. this is just my pov tho

Why would you think I misunderstand Dermatology?

What are you gunna do when you have 5 surgeries lined up on a Monday and patients waiting to be seen about their "weird bump" ?
Just call it off at 5pm and say fuck it? You aren't going to make more than $100k a year.

What are you on about? Clinics are scheduled so this doesn't happen.

Doctors have the highest rate of suicide. It's because it's a shit job.

Congrats on your shit job. Spend all that money on a really good shrink sooner rather then later (if you have time to see one).

This is a made up meme.

> Rates of suicide were highest in the following three occupational
groups: farming, fishing, and forestry (84.5 suicides per
100,000 persons); construction and extraction (53.3); and installation,
maintenance, and repair (47.9)

cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/65/wr/pdfs/mm6525a1.pdf