> 12th century Japanese monk
> Writes about life
> Makes all his points within 50 pages of beautifully concise prose

Where is your Proust now?

Other urls found in this thread:

djm.cc/library/The_Miscellany_of_a_Japanese_Priest_Gusa_Porter.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>short is better

If I lost so much time on writing as Proust, I too would be searching for it.

In probably every case, yes.

This. Longer works should only be done as a necessity, not an end to itself.

kek

You have a containment board:

I like you. You are smart.

do you have a link, OP? would love to read this :)

I am retitling it "A cup of Sake beneath the Cherry tree in sunny spring"

That's not the whole book you know, OP. You should read the full Tsurezuregusa.

The one thing a man should not have is a wife.
One is impressed to hear that a certain man always lives alone, while someone who is reported to have married into this or that family, or to have taken a wife and be living together, will find himself quite looked down on.
‘He must have married that nondescript girl because he thought she was something special,’ people will say scornfully, or if she is a good woman they will think, ‘He’ll be so besotted that he treats her like his own personal buddha.’ The impression is even more dreary when she runs the house well. it is depressing to watch her bear children and fuss over them, and things don’t end with his death, for then you have the shameful sight of her growing old and decrepit as a nun.
No matter who the woman may be, you would grow to hate her if you lived with her and saw her day in day out, and the woman must become dissatisfied too. But if you lived separately and sometimes visited her, your feelings for each other would surely remain unchanged through the years. It keeps the relationship fresh to just drop in from time to time on impulse and spend the night.

Beautiful wisdom

With the greentext implication in mind, what you get is Hegel.

Take away the greentext, and you get Schopenhauer.

Choose wisely.

this, a download link would be awesome

I'm not happy with the available options

Who would you prefer?

>A certain novice monk in Inaba was rumored to have a beautiful daughter, and many men came asking for her hand. But the girl ate nothing but chestnuts and never touched grains, so her father declared that she was too eccentric to be marriageable, and rejected them all.

I have this book. It really is on point. Direct, no bullshit reflections about aspects of life, big and small.

>we don't enjoy reading

>As soon as I hear someone’s name, I feel I can picture their face, but when I actually meet them no one ever looks as I had been imagining all that time.
>Also, I wonder if everyone, on hearing some old tale, imagines it as taking place in a certain part of some house he knows, and identifies the characters with people he sees in life, as I do.
>And is it just I who sometimes feels a conviction that what someone is saying, or what you’re seeing or thinking just then, has already happened before, though you cannot remember when?

>only 50 pages, vs ISOLT's ~4,215 pages
>about 1% the volume, but less than 1/1,000th of the writing quality

Ohhhhkay nigger

sounds like an ebin toker :DDDDDDD

>If our life did not fade and vanish like the dews of Adashino’s graves or the drifting smoke from Toribe’s burning grounds, but lingered on for ever, how little the world would move us. It is the ephemeral nature of things that makes them wonderful.
>Among all living creatures, it is man that lives longest. The brief dayfly dies vetoer evening; summer’s cicada knows neither spring nor autumn. What a glorious luxury it is to taste life to the full for even a single year. If you constantly regret life’s passing, even a thousand long years will seem but the dream of a night.
>Why cling to a life which cannot last for ever, only to arrive at ugly old age? The longer you live, the greater your share of shame. It is most seemly to die before forty at the latest. Once past this age, people develop an urge to mix with others without the least shame at their own unsightliness; they spend their dwindling years fussing adoringly over their children and grand-children, hoping to live long enough to see them make good in the world. Their greed for the things of this world grows ever deeper, till they lose all ability to be moved by life’s pathos, and become really quite disgraceful.

>beautifully concise prose
Japanese is a concise language. This doesn't have much reflection on the authors ability to be concise.

I dont enjoy rambling bullshit, yes.

Clear, concise and well paced thoughts? Sign me up.

Both have their charms.

It can take Kant a whole page to make a given point, for example. That doesn't make it any less beautiful/enjoyable when you finally 'get it'.

Ineffeciency is never enjoyable.

I can make allowances for the stylistic leanings of the time. But if some faggot tries that today then they simply wont he read.

>Ineffeciency is never enjoyable.

Pic related was you, I take it.

I've never read Kant so I have no comment on him personally. Was I supposed to? I'm simply saying its much better to be efficent with your language.

Even Plato managed to do that, so I don't give a fuck who you are.

>>Makes this argument
>>Doesn't use the Twain quote

Think on the last book that Campbell speculates Joyce would've written. A clear, concise, simple story. This after he published Finnegan's wake. The point is that Dante must go through the Inferno to get to the Paradiso.

Another example: Emerson's transcendentalism reads like immature nonsense where Kant's and Hegel's doesn't (or at least it reads like mature nonsense). This is because Emerson skips the step where he uses reason to overcome reason. The universal appears only through the stifling weight of the particular. Kenko appears elegant only after Proust. Siddhartha can understand the river only after he ran away from it.

Also, less hippy-transcendental, the books are making different points about the human experience...

Another translation:
>On Married Life - Section 190
>What is generally known as a wife is a thing no man should have. I like to hear a man say, "I live ever as a bachelor" and I feel in my heart that there is nothing worse than to hear such stuff as, "So and so has turned son-in-law" or, "He has married some woman or other and they have settled down together". For I consider it not in good form for a man to live in union with one who is nothing out of the common merely because he fancies that she is good-looking.
>[...]
>Whatever kind of a woman she be, if he keeps seeing her about him from morn till eve, his heart grows weary and he begins to dislike her; the woman herself too becomes inattentive. To live apart therefore and to go and stay with her from time to time is the way to form a tie that the passing months and years can never dissolve; for it will be no affliction then for him to go and pay her a little visit.

13th century Japanese redpill right here, folks.

>I read for enjoyment

oOoOoOo

That's not redpill at all. That's just anti-marriage; pro free love, sort of. Did you see
>merely because he fancies that she is good-looking
?

people see/read whatever they want to see/read

>advocating degeneracy

and Japan wonders why it fell behind

dubs confirm
who the fuck enjoys reading

I enjoy the knowledge or the story but reading is just work

>reading is just work
Nigger what.

>who the fuck enjoys reading
Me. Most people here, probably almost everyone here except for you. There is something wrong with you.

english is my second language, could someone please explain this?

Joke on Proust's work "In Search of Lost Time"

see

I don't disagree that reading solely for enjoyment (except in a more abstract way) is plebbish, but it's not work.

Where the fuck do I find a pdf for this then or something to read it?
I can't find it on libgen.

ISOLT?

In Search of Lost Time

bookzz

look for tsurezuregusa

If you're a Stirnerite then Hegel obviously

You're right
But the reader needs hell
We need leviathans of books to enjoy the little salmon
It's like a journey
The only paradise lies in what was lost.
>Quote from Proust

It's a gay joke

>enjoying things
fags

Most of Stirner involved shitting on Hegel.

Not really, he used hegels entire framework to come to a separate conclusion.

>who the fuck enjoys reading
>I enjoy the knowledge or the story but reading is just work
Finally someone with balls said this!

Is that one of those delicious 50p penguin books because I'll go for a good walk right now and read it if it is then, is it?

Enjoyment isn't necessary, but it's preferable.

>beautiful
I'm not sure I'd call the CPR beautiful. Dude was a trash writer.

djm.cc/library/The_Miscellany_of_a_Japanese_Priest_Gusa_Porter.pdf

Here is version of it. Much more complete than the penguin book.

so, the penguin book is a selection. I was going mad searching for it online. thanks user