Why does everyone think string theory is a meme? It's not like it can be proven wrong

Why does everyone think string theory is a meme? It's not like it can be proven wrong.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Not_even_wrong
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Spotted the fruity loops lover.
Just because they are a slightly more obscure meme doesn't mean they are better.

>physics

>why do christfags get butthurt when atheists tell them there is no god? it's not like it can be proven wrong

claims of god's existence are unfalsifiable. they can't be proven right or wrong.

so the question arises: how much validity do you personally assign something which can't be proven right or wrong?

Be skeptical, unless it's some made up shit that someone pulled out of their ass for no reason

It is very hard to see how String Theory is the natural extension of QFT and GR unless you are well versed in the rigorous mathematical foundations of both subjects (something that is difficult, especially for QFT).

So people not well versed in the mathematical foundations, think theorists are just making this shit up randomly and just go with it because it happens to recover what it should in the correct limits.

>It's not like it can be proven wrong.

Why are you saying that like it's a good thing? Unfalsifiable ideas are worse than wrong falsifiable ideas.

>Unfalsifiable ideas are worse than wrong falsifiable ideas
Got a source for that?

What maths do I habe to know to get a good understanding of QFT,GR, and ST?

Algebraic Geometry, Functional Analysis, Deformation theory, etc.

Fuck off you autist.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Not_even_wrong

Perhaps string field theory is an extension of QFT but string theory is more like an extension of particle mechanics.

Something that I'm confused about: if you look at the quantum theory of a certain type of string, you find that you get well-behaved answers only if the string is propagating in a classical (higher dimensional) background spacetime described by Einstein's equations. This is where these magic numbers like 26 dimensions come from. The setup only works in certain numbers of dimensions.

If that higher dimensional spacetime happens to be compactified in a certain way, then parts of the degrees of freedom in the higher dimensional gravitational field can rather look like gauge fields to someone living in the 4 large dimensions.
Obviously such fields as quantum fields are known to exist (e.g. the electromagnetic field) but I don't see how you get from a classical field (the classical background which the string moves through) to a quantum field. Is there something I'm missing here?

>Algebraic Geometry, Functional Analysis

Seriously? Wouldn't you say differential geometry, Lie group theory, and representation theory are a bit more applicable?

prove that string theory is unfalsifiable.... oops you can't

>It's not like it can be proven wrong
thats exactly why it is a meme. it is pseudoscientific aids

strings are by definition unobservable

wrong

come on now. thats just low effort trolling at best

ELI5 what's string theory in a few words

Most modern physics is becoming unfalsifiable though.

To understand the basics, yeah. But to really see why String Theory is the correct choice, you need the other stuff I listed to.

Day 3
>string theory
It uses circular reasoning.
It uses itself to prove itself.

>Perhaps string field theory is an extension of QFT but string theory is more like an extension of particle mechanics.
What exactly do you think "particle mechanics" is?

Yep. Most modern (theoretical) physicists are nothing more but speculative metaphysicists who hate philosophy... well, if they at least knew a little bit about philosophy they had to recognize there work was indeed nothing more but metaphysical speculations.

Heisenberg btw. said something pretty similar, although he was talking about quarks (which are nowadays verifiable indirectly at least).
He told physicists to stop inventing sub-elemental entities, because all they were doing was transfering problems from the level of elemental particels to an imaginary level, which wouldn't help to solve these problems at all.

The quantum theory of particles i.e quantum mechanics i.e. (0+1) dimensional quantum field theory), you mug