What does Veeky Forums think of my recent pick up?

What does Veeky Forums think of my recent pick up?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ayn_Rand_Institute
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Never could finish Catch-22. I'll see if I pick it up and try to read it again.

My 14 year old student read all of these other than catch 22 last year. At the moment she's on a Haruki Murakami kick.

She fills me with pride. Best student I could ask for.

Are you also a 14 year old Asian girl?

same
I understand why some people find it funny, but I didn't find it worthy of wasting my time when I could be reading something else.

I also dropped Atlas Shrugged. The length of the book is disproportionate to Rand's writing; to the point I read story could have been told in many less pages, and her prose isn't particularly engaging or beautiful.

Animal Farm was meh.

Loved Metamorphosis, but is my least favorite Kafka 'novel'. I found both The Trial and The Castle were better. I haven't read Amerika yet.

post her feet

Animal Farm is good, and Catch 22 is amazing. I haven't read the other 2 but Atlas Shrugged is on my list of stuff to read

Op here
Lel no im 19 but only recently got into lit seriously. Got most of the Greek meme done and finished BNW and 1984 and just pick these up from my local bookstore. Am I just wasting my time? I thought these were important to be well read.

Waiting for Catch to arrive in the mail.

Don't fucking bother with Atlas Shrugged, even people who say it's their favorite book haven't done themselves the disservice of enduring each page of it. The rest is pretty standard stuff, enjoy.

well meme'd OP !

Are all of them a meme or just Atlas Shrugged?

They're all memes and that's why you should read them - you did a good thing

Animal Farm is good. Better if you know who each character represents.

Metamorphosis is crazy funny, so is Catch-22.

Atlas Shrugged is...well, it's something. It's easily the lowest quality writing of the bunch.

Its long as fk but I have a long trip coming up so I thought it'd be perfect. Bad choice?

Why the fuck is American Psycho on the list?

Holy shit that is the worst book ever written.

I've read animal farm before but wanted my own copy, its obviously about communism being abused but who is it sepcificly about?

All of those books are essential (bar Rand).

Animal Farm you should have already read, but if you haven't you need to. You also must read everything else by Orwell if you ever want to call yourself educated.

Likewise you must be at least familiar with Kafka's work to call yourself educated.

And finally Catch 22, the most important book in your haul, is a book that if you haven't read it, I don't even consider you to be a person. You cannot have an adult conversation. It's like being a virgin.

You can skip Atlas Shrugged, it's not known for being a well-written book - it's just memed by billionaires. It's the novel form of a self-help manual for assholes. There's nothing of value there.

Wut? Its not

Orwell never really bothered with subtlety. Nearly every important character in Animal Farm corresponds to a figure in the Russian Revolution from Lenin on down.

it's great mate. it immerses you in a twisted mind, it's like a psycho Lolita.

It's openly a book about nothing. Ellis even said he doesn't remember writing it and hasn't read it in decades. It tried to skewer post-modern living by being post-modern to a retarded extreme and it just made the whole book pointless.

nice books OP, rate mine

There is a very long, uninspired and repetitive radio broadcast monologue which in my opinion is impossible to actually force yourself to read through if you are not brain dead.

Aside from that passage the book is readable but not worth the time when there are so many better books out there.

The Fountainhead is her better book but it also isn't very good.

She is a terrible writer and a dilettante philosopher who poorly communicates what little she has to say.

People only like her because she is wonderfully anti-communist.

Fountainhead is a really good comedy.

no rate mine.

Yeah - if you watch the film adaptation, anyway.

Rands books are a bit too shitty and long to be worth it for the comedy.

Catch-22 took a while for me to catch on, too. I was like 50-100 pages in before I started to really laugh at it. Some of it hasn't aged that well (50 years old war-related satire can't be 100% fresh), surely, but there's a lot of hilarity there. Some of the dialog is pretty repetitive and annoying, but far more of it is very funny.

I agree. It becomes torture after some time.

If one of my students told me they read Atlas Shrugged or Haruki Murakami I would literally lose all pride in and respect for them then and there.

y user? y would u do that?

Atlas shrugged ftw

Sorry you can't read an 1000 page book user

Excellent choices with Orwell, Heller, and Kafka, but don't feel bad if you want to drop Atlas Shrugged 1/10 of the way through

Did...did you buy Atlas Shrugged to use as a doorstop or a weapon?

>read for 8th grade class
>never read
>overdue to library, been meaning to pick up again
>never read

Is the success of Atlas Shrugged purest ideology? Seems weird that Murricans always seem to think of it as a classic- it seems to have had zero impact outside Murrica, and I've never seen anyone arguing seriously that it has literary merit. Also it seems to be popular there despite it being enormous and by all accounts dull, which aren't usually guarantees of commercial success.

Did it get big just because of politicians pushing it into the school system?

It's literally shilling.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ayn_Rand_Institute

Fuck, I should have bought that edition of Atlas Shrugged.

Top to bottom: bad but at least it's short, awesome, meh and alright.

And yet, you chose to communicate this with a poorly constructed sentence.

I've never read Catch-22, but the others are definitely worth your time.

Kafka is basically the Godfather of modern surreal existentialism, and The Metamorphosis is one of those books that is very easy to read.

Animal Farm I read as a sophomore in HS, and I don't know what I'd think of it now, but if you have never read it, you should.

Atlas Shrugged is good...in its way. Rand can be difficult to stomach at times (especially toward the end), and her writing has a lot of technical flaws, but she still deals with some very important ideas about society and personal integrity in Atlas Shrugged. It almost reads like a horror novel, because so much of it is a dead ringer for modern society. Perhaps, it suggests the problems we are fighting now had their roots in the time of our grandfathers or great-grandfathers. Perhaps, the bloated corpse of society pushes on, in spite of perennial civic cancers as ancient and tenacious as man himself.

Poster from above

>I also dropped Atlas Shrugged. The length of the book is disproportionate to Rand's writing; to the point I read story could have been told in many less pages

This is VERY true. She can be incredibly repetitive. One of the technical flaws I was referring to.

What does Veeky Forums think of my recent pickup?

pic related

I think you should get back to us when you're done, because I'm too pleb to have read any of them yet.

I hate those fucking stickers that they put on the books.

Pleb trying not to look like a pleb-tier

I got Charlie the Choo Choo. I win this thread.

Pretty basic babbies first literature to be honest tho I'd drop Atlas Shrugged. Ayn Rand is a fucking hack