Are there any good books set in ancient Rome but aren't necessarily "about" ancient Rome?

Are there any good books set in ancient Rome but aren't necessarily "about" ancient Rome?

bump

Red Rising is loosely inspired by the Year of the Four Emperors, 68 AD when Emperor Nero died and caused the first civil war since Marc Antony, causing other colonies (or whatever Roman term for outer territory is) to rebel

Did you see Rome on HBO? You'd enjoy it

yes, and the cunts cancelled it. could have totally continued into the reigns of augustus, tiberius, caligula, clau-clau-claudius

I, Claudius sounds like exactly what you're not looking for

>year of the four emperors
>68 ad

Lol

just finished it, loved it

but see that's still about the history itself, which is all well and good but im looking for stories where the roman (or really any other era) setting is more incidental than central to the plot.

fuck you nigger, 69 AD, Happy you nigger fuck fuck?

Yes.

t. Read Tacitus a few months ago and this is the first chance I've had to use any of the information gleaned from him

>69

hihi

Do you think Caligula's sickness and resulting recovery that resulted in his personality fundamentally changing to the deranged was the cause of actual physiological and neurological changes incurred on him during his sickness or do you think he was a psychopath all along looking for a pretext of sorts

"please no one call me out on this"

*someone calls me out on it*

How long do you plan to abuse our patience, O Catiline?

You should remember my friend histories very susceptible to blatant bias and falsehood, "historians" of the Roman period as well tried to pass off incorrect or made up history

So I'm saying regarding these high claims of Nero and Caligula, maybe the historicity of them are sketchy

I think his upbringin probably exacerbated the psychosis that was there all along

*upbringing

fuck ive exposed myself as a texan wino

yeah the ones that are fucking written by ancient romans
what kind of sex and the city bullshit are you trying to sell us OP

Considering that the only account I've read of him so far is from Suetonius (Tacitus' account is lost), I really can't say.

i want sex and the city set in rome

no you don't, fuck off

The Satyricon
>the depravity

Roma Sub Rosa. Mystery novels. Great depiction of everyday Roman life. Characters that you grow really attached to.

Thanks Anons

Recommendations from my Latin professor. Most don't have the literary depth that this board is accustomed to.

1/2

2/2

fuckin sweet man, i appreciate it

>finding my unusual last name in the wild

spooked

Marius the Epicurean - Walter Pater

seems interesting, i'll look into it

Crichton?