Your favorite novels that are set, at least partially, where you live

Your favorite novels that are set, at least partially, where you live.

Nancy Farmer, who wrote The House of The Scorpion, and The Lord of Opium, lives in Arizona's Chiricauhua mountains near where.I'm from. I like her Sea of Trolls novels much better, though.

Ulysses I guess

Glasgow, Scotland

lmao I'm not telling you where I live, go find some boypussy somewhere else.

Ulysses mentions Santiago, Chile, once. Does it count?

>tfw the best part of Gravity's Rainbow, the part where you enter the mind of a pinball machine, gives a shout out to Virginia Beach
>(twelve heroic minutes in Virginia Beach, Fourth of July, 1927, a drunken sailor whose ship went down at Leyte Gulf…flipped up off the board, your first three-dimensional trip is always your best, when you came down again it wasn’t the same, and every time you’d pass anywhere near the micro-dimple you made when you feel, you’d get a rush…sobered, a few, having looked into the heart of the solenoid, seen the magnetic serpent and energy in its nakedness, long enough to be changed, to bring back from the writhing lines of force down in that pit an intimacy with power, with glazed badlands of soul, that set them apart forever—check out the portrait of Michael Faraday in the Tate Gallery in London, Tantivy Mucker-Maffick did once, to fill up a womanless and dreary afternoon, and wondered then how eyes of men could grow so lambent, sinister, so educated among the halls of dread and the invisible…)

Also, V. starts in Norfolk.

Infinite Jest

The Recognitions
J R
V.

>inb4 >novel

Infinite Jest, and I resent the depiction and find it false and unflattering.

>favourite novels set in Canada

nope, can't think of any

Arizona Quebec or new england

Slaughterhouse-Five is the only book I've read that even mentions my hometown. Infinite Jest mentions the town next door.

I'm from New England, it's a fine depiction. Brighton is a lot nicer than it was when Wallace was writing the book, though.

I forget which, but one of Heinlein's Future History novels has Lazarus Long drive through my hometown on the way to the LA spaceport. My hometown is not one you've likely heard of, even if you live relatively nearby it.

Part of "Players" by D. Delillo is set in Ontario Canada.

Have a taste:

"Looking over one of the maps he'd brought and the street index attached to it, he came across the names Parkside, Bayview, Rosedale, Glenbrook, Forest Hill, Mt. Pleasant, Meadowbrook, Cedarcrest, Thornwood, Oakmount, Brookside, Beechwood, Ferndale, Woodlawn, Freshmeadow, Crestwood, Pine Ridge, Willowbrook and Greenbriar.

...Brantford's clean streets and white English-speaking population took on an eerie quality, an overlay of fantasy. It was more familiar than the street he lived on in New York. He'd come all this way, border-crossing, to encounter thigns he'd known at some collective level, always. Common themes. Ordinary decencies.

There was a Lovecraft story that talked about Brattleboro, Vermont (which I live 5 minutes away from and my dad went to HS there) and a character had my last name. It was some trippy shit. But I forget which one it was.

la belle province ; )

this kinda takes place in Canada. or at least a fictional place in the same region

This is the only Chicago-core I've read so far so I guess this

south-east London is best London.

is Saer good? I've been meaning to pick up a copy of the Sixty-five Years of Washington.

[insert picture of Grapes of Wrath cover here]
The farmers of my town actually hated it so much they held an annual book burning and only burned copies of GoW.

also mentioned in Bukowski's Pulp

Why did the farmers in your town hate GoW?

Don quixote if we're going by country
I live on an irrelevant city and I don't think I've read any good book with it as a setting.

I haven't read it since I became Veeky Forums, so I've no idea if World of Chickens still holds up today, but it was entertaining back then.

My snownigger! Where do you live? Kongsberg here.

S A N T I A G O
A
N
T
I
A
G
O

Dubliners mentions my specific area a few times. sort of distressing to know that pretty much nothing has changed in over a hundred years

Bear
Hatchet
The Chrysalids

A decent amount of modern literature is set in Budapest but the one I like the most is a novelette set in the district I live in and was written by a local. It's about a little boy whose mother lives with a Russian and we get to see how the diaspora struggles with everyday life, far from home. Also a moving son-stepfather story.

If I look out my kitchen window I can see where their houses were.
Hope I can meet the author one day, as far as I know he still lives here. Must be a wise old man by now.

my favorite novel set partially in vancouver

of course this is limited to maybe 2 sentences but you take what you can get

t. Beelzebub

Suppose it would be Trainspotting if I'd ever actually read it

Easy because it is also one of my favorite books. Both 2666 and Savage Detectives really focus and are influenced by northern Mexican and southern Arizonan Sonora desert landscapes.

I wouldn't recommend the American SW or northern Mexico but Bolano makes it so damn sexy

It wasn't that great of a book but having areas I'm familiar with described in even slight detail was pretty surreal.

Such a wonderful book but so specific to the place and social class that it's the least universal Great Peruvian Work.

Lol at the part where the narrator just goes down to the docks and it's, like, a guaranteed job. If you do that nowadays they'll just tell you to go to their website and check for vacancies there, and you do it and there are none.

parts of it took place at some colleges i attended, movie theaters i still hang out at (the texas theater is now a cool bar and hangout), neighborhoods I grew up in. Then again, I could walk 4 blocks from some jobs Ive had and be at the place where Jack K had his brains spilled. Oh, and Ive worked and gone to school and mingled with families (grew up in a Catholic community) who were close to Jack Ruby.