Would opening a sushi delivery restaurant be a viable business(in Australia)?

Would opening a sushi delivery restaurant be a viable business(in Australia)?

I've been playing with the idea for a year or so now. I need random opinions though before attempting a business loan.

Milennials eat it like it's candy, including myself. And a fridge full of Calpis Water sounds great to me.

Other urls found in this thread:

salondesushi.com.au/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

In mind mind the idea of delivery sushi is absurd. Mind you, I love sushi. But it needs to be freshly prepared or it isn't very good. the idea of it being made and then sitting around while it's being delivered is off-putting to the extreme.

Maybe I'm the odd man out here, but Sushi is the very last thing that I'd think of when considering "delivery".

It would be made fresh though, only the sushi rolls would be stored - same way food court sushi places store theirs.

>but Sushi is the very last thing that I'd think of when considering "delivery".
Me too, which is why i haven't acted on it yet. It's either an untapped goldmine or complete bust.

I forgot to mention that you really need to be asking people in your target market. Things like this are highly dependant on the area your restaurant or delivery service would be operating in. What works in one area might not work in another; a trendy city with a lot of young people is going to want a totally different type of food than an area out in the country or an old working-class town.

I recall an episode of Kitchen Nightmares UK. The chef was preparing very good food but the problem was that it didn't match the tastes of the people living near the restaurant. They were trying to serve fancy French food in a working-class neighborhood in south London. Once they switched to classics like steak and kidney pie instead of fancy French stuff their business tripled. Keep that in mind--what kind of things are popular in the area where you want to start this business?

Open a restaurant first, become a success and only then start thinking about offering a delivery service.

>It would be made fresh though

I don't really understand. You mean the delivery guy is going to make the sushi right there on my doorstep? If it's made back at the restaurant and then it's delivered to me then IMHO that's not fresh. If I am not eating it within a literal minute of it being made then it's not fresh enough IMHO.

>>Me too, which is why i haven't acted on it yet. It's either an untapped goldmine or complete bust.

In my personal opinion it's a complete bust. I would never even try it because I have a hangup on it needing to be made immediately before I eat it which precludes delivery being an option. I never buy pre-made sushi at the supermarket for the same reason.

But that's why I said ask other people, especially the people in your specific market. Different people have different preferences for these sorts of things.

Suburbia, but most sushi places around are out of stock by the time lunch is over - even the more unpopular stuff with regular people (sashimi).

>but Sushi is the very last thing that I'd think of when considering "delivery".
To elaborate on this, delivery will be limited to 3 surrounding suburbs. 5 minute drive to either one.

I agree with this post wholeheartedly. I'm a sushi chef for 10 years btw.

Sushi is fucking boring and bland.

its very common in europe and they make decent business, im surprised its not a thing in australia, its so common in fact, i thought you were trolling.
Sad truth is, most people give very little shits about the quality of their food, especially with more exotic things like sushi, theyll have a pleasant meal if you manage to send them decentlooking rolls with fish thats not rotten, so id say go ahead

>its very common in europe
Really?
Since when?

Europeans don't really fall for these bland overpriced mini-snacks, let alone have them delivered.

I have an asian supermarket near me with a cafe/food court area inside of it. There's a quaint sushi and ramen place within that court, which is available for delivery on Foodler and Grubhub and all those.

I was put off by the idea of delivery sushi as well, but each time I've gotten it delivered from this place (about a 5-10 minute drive) it's been great. The time from when it's finished and packaged, to delivered to your doorstep, is not enough time to change the quality of the sushi. Unless you wanna fixate on it, it's practically no different than eating it fresh. Sushi is only good or bad, there's no "in between" where you can go
>eeh, this seems okay i think
no. you know it's good or you know it's shit, and the time it takes to get to you is not enough for it to go to shit

Yes it is, yes we/they do, or at least where I'm at (Amsterdam). I don't quite know since when. It's still a growing thing.
Regards, not the guy you responded to.

>Since when?
Perhaps during the last two decades there's been a surge of sushi places starting business. I write sushi, but what I really mean is: places that do rice rolls and other things than kind of look like sushi, but are essentially not while still being marketed to the imbeciles.
>Europeans don't really fall for these
Yes user, they do. Go out, get some fresh air and look around. It's a hype.
>bland
Only a truly tasteless person would say that. Are you a smoker perhaps?
>overpriced
Definitely not. There's so much competition that prices have gone down significantly.
>mini-snacks
Like everything: you have freedom to choose how much you eat.

t.Sushi defence league.

Sushi is NOT a big thing in Europe - Anywhere!

Some of you weeaboos may like to think so but Most of Europe has always had access to fresh fish, it's not a novelty for us.

Even a pickled herring has far more taste than a bite-sized slice that has to be dipped into soy to get any flavor at all.

I'm as far from a weeabo as you can get and you're as far from truth as you can get. You know nothing of Europe and nothing of sushi. Please educate yourself before posting.

>You want to believe.

Sushi is not a big thing in Europe and it never will be, remember the original post I replied to said sushi delivery was common?

It's as common as vegan Innuit delivery!

Sorry to upset you.

>the original post I replied to said sushi delivery was common?
It is.

>It's as common as vegan Innuit delivery!
Vegan food is commonly a hype too. Don't you go out or take take-away at all to not know such things?

And if anyone is angered here, it's you over 20 grams of rice and a little fish. Grow up user.

>commonly
*currently
In my region there have been multiple openings for vegan restaurants and they all do take-away too via internet service and transport partners etc.

You are living in a dreamworld user.

To have so many national cuisines available and take away from everywhere... I guess you might be right, my life is literally dreamlike. Sorry you live in a nightmare.

Btw. This discussion is now over. Goodbye!

How many of those are there where you live and how are they doing?
If there aren't any, then it may be a goldmine, but you can't be sure.
If there's a couple and they're doing well, then there's probably still room for you.
If there are sushi restaurants that are doing well but none of them deliver, then you will very likely be big real quick.

There are 19 sushi restaurants that deliver to my neighborhood on the Dutch version of takeaway alone. Didn't even check deliveroo or foodora or ubereats or anything else. From what I can see, they appear to be doing quite well.

Why not a sushi food truck?

Delivery sushi is pretty comon here in America. Though these places also do pan-Asain cuisine

Is it really? I've never found a place like that in any of the places I've lived in (Virginia, Oregon)

I would use this OP, because I lack a car and work 60 hours a week, but have money to spend.

Had sushi for the first time in a year tonight after seeing this thread, worth the hour long walk to and another hour back, but not something I can do regularly.

The only time I've had it delivered in America it was significantly worst than the already mediocre sushi you usually get.

I can't tell if its an actual law or if its just people being over afraid of germs, but sushi should never actually be truly refrigerated once its made. It totally ruins the rice

Make a sushi truck,
I big truck that looks like a piece of sushi.

Drive up to persons house, make sushi there in the truck on the street.

>Would opening a sushi delivery restaurant be a viable business(in Australia)?

Only if you were able to have trained roos with some type of cooler in their pouches to make the deliveries.

you mister, must live on the deepest countryside,
every small 10000 people city has one or more sushi places, every country in europe from mediteranean to 3rd world eastern countries has sushi places, its not even an argument to be had here.

also concerning quality, no, those delivey places are not the best sushi in the world, probably the sushi you get in supermarkets would be comparable, but as i said earlier, people care surprisingly little about quality. Most people want their california tempura shrimp craziness, completely drown it in soysauce mixed with wasabi, put ginger on the sushi are happy and go on with their lives. So yeah, delivery-sushi is a good idea because people like this exist anywhere in the western world

There are already quite a few sushi restaurants that do delivery in Australia.
They might not do it themselves and instead using something like Deliveroo or Foodora to deliver it.

>If I am not eating it within a literal minute of it being made then it's not fresh enough IMHO.
Lol get out of here

>Sushi is NOT a big thing in Europe - Anywhere!
In Oslo theres a sushi place on every corner downtown

Japan has had delivery sushi for years. It works, people order it, but as said, >Things are highly dependent on the area your restaurant or delivery service would be operating in.

You may want to survey the locals so you can be sure that your business plan is actually viable.

salondesushi.com.au/
This place is in South Melbourne. They've been there for at least 4 years and seem to be doing pretty well.

There's a million in nyc. Why don't you visit here and see what they get right and wrong by ordering sushi delivery for a while?