This was recommended here as a drink to try out for an alcohol virgin like me, so I bought a bottle. My first reaction...

This was recommended here as a drink to try out for an alcohol virgin like me, so I bought a bottle. My first reaction, what the fuck, how are you supposed to drink this?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=oEr7ym4-r5I
youtube.com/watch?v=7eFzjUHxnVg
youtube.com/watch?v=gJV-O1e10z8
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>how are you supposed to drink this?
As an alcohol virgin? With coke.

A lot of people like this, but this should no way in any form or fashion be your first drink......especially straight or neat

Mix it with coke so you can get a feel for the taste and if you even like bourbon

I'd recommend about 50ml of wild turkey with 150ml of coke on a bunch of ice

Wild Turkey is for the seasoned alcoholic who gave up on life.

>Wild Turkey is for the seasoned alcoholic who gave up on life.

No faggot, they are for seasoned alcoholics that are close to giving up on life but haven't quiet yet.....once you truly have given up you switch to Very Old Barton or James Foxxe

Is there other drinks to mix it with, other than coke?

Pepsi.

>Is there other drinks to mix it with, other than coke?

If you just started drinking, you will want to stick to dark sodas.....coke, pepsi, dr pepper, maybe root beer

If a novice drinker though, you may want to switch to something like captain and coke to just get a feel for tolerating alcohol spirits

Any kind of soda.

Sour mix (i.e. make a "whiskey sour")

[Life is going pretty well] (Patron) (Laphroaig)
.(Dewer's)
.(Jack Daniels)
.(Bacardi 151)(Skyy)
[Well, things could always be worse] (Evan Williams)
.(Smirinof) (Franzia)
.(Kraken)
.(Carlos Rossi)
.(Various malt liquor) (Jeremiah weed)
[I give up, I can't do this anymore] (Jose Cuervo)
.(McCormicks vodka)
.(Mad Dogg 20/20)(Bud Ice)
.(Popov)
.(Thunderbird)
[I hope to god I die in my sleep]
.(McCormicks 'whiskey')
.(Everclear)
.(Kentucky Deluxe)
[Recent google search: helium tank, gas masks](Ten High) (Old Crow)
.(Seagrams Gin)
.(Ballantines)

Second for whiskey sour. Be sure to use an egg white though, it will take away some of the alcohol bite

Just drink rum and coke instead

Like others said, mix it initially. Eventually you'll get used to alcohol, and be able to pick up on more subtle flavors, and you might eventually prefer drinking it neat.

ITT people don't know how to drink whiskey

Pour in whiskey glass.
Swirl to oxidize the ethanol.
Nose it real good.
Give it a few sips.
Add a tea spoon of water.
Nose it again to detect changes of aroma.
Sip again to detect changes in taste.
Finish it off.

Maybe go to a bar. Try a few drinks there to find something you like instead of buying a bottle blindly off of what you heard from a couple of assholes on the internet?

Implying I'm gonna do that all night when all I want to do is chug down a bottle to forget about life for a while

>Swirl to oxidize the ethanol.

fuck off you psuedointellectual/"science is fucking cool" faggot.

Ethanol isn't going to fucking oxidize by itself in a glass

Enjoy wafting in that turpentine pleb.
Learn to drink.

Better yet get a glass or cup or mug or jug, toss an ice cube or two or a bunch for your jug, then pour your booze in and fucking drink it you autistic fucking faggot.

you return that and get the 101 version.

then you stop wasting money and just buy the cheapest strongest bottom shelf vodka like the rest of us

Pretentious fag detected.

An entire life of disappointment and regret will make it easier to swallow. You'll even start to enjoy it.

First of all bourbon is a bad rec for someone who's never had hard liquor before, shit's one of the more in-your-face members of the whiskey family. Irish whiskey and other mild, more heavily distilled shit is how you introduce someone to grain spirits.

Second, try it with a splash of seltzer or chilled water. To drink it straight, just take a small sip and hold it in your mouth for a moment before you swallow and enjoy the flavor and aroma.

Third, if you're just looking to get so shitslammed that you find Adam Sandler funny again, buy a bottle of Diesel and disguise it with plenty of lime gatorade.

>poor fag detected

seasoned alcohol veteran here:

if you're new to booze, especially bourbon, that's a pretty shit place to start. Maker's Mark, Gentleman Jack, or anything that's been aged should be better than Wild Turkey.

What's your palette like? If you like sweet stuff, Coke is a good mixer. Otherwise, choose a carbonated beverage that you like and add a shot of whiskey to it. If you don't like carbonated stuff, bourbon can work nicely in tea (hot or cold), lemonade, or even in apple juice.

If bourbon just doesn't work for you, try the same mixers with vodka. If that still isn't good, kys.

the answer

>tfw I have Franzia tabs littering my room like POGS.

Squirt or faygo 50/50

Put a tablespoon of it on top of vanilla ice cream. You can thank me later.

Crown Royal Black, straight.

What does it mean when i cant taste the alcohol in md 20/20 anymore

Start with beer if you're completely new to drinking. Build up to gin or vodka. Leave whiskey (and indeed whisky) for later.

try calvados

>[Life is going pretty well]
>(Dewers')

I guess your life -is- going pretty "well" if that's the crap you drink

I don't understand the resoning behind mixing stuff with coke to make you like the taste somehow. mixing cough syrup with coke never made anyone like the taste of cough syrup. if you don't like the taste of something just drink something else.

There's nothing wrong with Wild Turkey, the 81º is quite acceptable, myself I prefer the 101º.

And bourbon is a fine place to start your alcohol adventures.

Don't mix with any sodas...that's the wimp way out. Learn how to drink with a little bit of class.

Start with an Old Fashion, the American classic. Use the best fruit you can afford (meaning try to find Luxardo cherries). Get the castor sugar. Do it right.
youtube.com/watch?v=oEr7ym4-r5I

Then off to a Bourbon Smash.
youtube.com/watch?v=7eFzjUHxnVg

Then move on up to a Mint Julep.
youtube.com/watch?v=gJV-O1e10z8

Bourbon is great stuff. Once you're half way through this bottle go out and pick up another brand, start comparing.

And stay the hell away from Jack Daniels. Foul shit.

Pic related

>laphroaig and JD in the same category
You don't ever compare God's own nectar to Jack Daniel's charcoal filtered pig swill.

By learning to appreciate the taste of a new drink.
You sure as hell didnt drink coffee for the first time and think BOY OH WOW THATS DELICIOUS because you're used to everything being drowned in 700g of sugar.

Cut it with an ice cube, sip on it, learn to appreciate the taste.

He means to aerate it, not oxidize.

His terminology is wrong, but his method is sound.

>Swirl to oxidize the ethanol.

This man is worth listening to.

I'd drink with you.

For a total alcohol virgin I'd recommend not going straight for the patrician tier tastes and instead easing in with something that allows you to get used to the aftertaste of alcohol first.

Stuff like Bailey's for example. Something I found that does wonders for people who can't stand alcohol is a shot of Kahlua, a shot of Creme De Menthe together with an icecube to chill. Tastes like a liquid chocolate mint biscuit with a hint of alcohol.

You were memed on, Bourbon is a terrible choice for a alcohol virgin.

this

I'd recommend something like a Fireball

Wild Turkey (101) is my go-to bourbon.

It's a bit dry, spicy, and has some sort of meme magick that intoxicates me more than even 120 proof bourbon does.

Start with Jim Beam and then work your way to Wild Turkey.

80 proof liquor is pretty standard and anything higher requisites some ability in the drunkard arts.

That said, don't buy the lower proof Wild Turkey bottlings, they're trash.

What I would suggest, in lieu of mixing with sugary shit, just water it down till you can palate it.

It's easier to reduce the amount of water in a drink than to reduce the amount of soda and then switch to either iced or neat liquor. At the very least you get a slightly purer taste of the liquor through water than you do with Coke.

That being said, Wild Turkey has a reputation for being a redneck drink because it's fan-fucking-tastic.

It's delicious, well priced, and packs a whallop. If you can stand Wild Turkey 101, you can damn near palate any bourbon.

N.B.

I'm drinking Wild Turkey 101 right now, on the rocks, and I'm having a slamming evening.

All you'll achieve with that is getting alcohol into your system without being able to taste it. You won't wean yourself from tasteless booze to hard liquor without drinking liquor you can actually appreciate the inherent flavor of.

Decent bourbon as a taste of its own. If you're gonna try and drink neat bourbon, jump in the deep end. Learn to enjoy it on its own terms. You don't learn to play a difficult video game by turning on cheat codes. You play until you get better.

why are people saying bourbon is a bad drink for a beginner? it's kind of sweet and the oak barrel makes it less harsh. this shit with honey in it is basically liquid candy.

>this shit with honey in it is basically liquid candy
Because it is liquid candy. It's not whiskey, it's a liqueur. It's sugar syrup with a squirt of honey and a lick of reject-barrel bourbon.

even regular bourbon is sweet compared to tequila or something.

I drink beer and stick to beer because when I drink spirits after a good session it's an immediate end of night for me.

American Honey however... I could drink a bottle

The 101 Rye used to be my go-to. They took it off the market when rye blew up and I've only started seeing it again recently. It's a 1L bottle now, strangely enough, and I think I read somewhere that they changed the recipe. The stuff I remember was hot, sweet, and peppery.

>this shit with honey in it is basically liquid candy.

That shit with honey in it is basically liquid shit. Kinda like drinking Bud Light. But not taste as good.

And did I see someone say Fireball? The latest date rape drug? Shit man, grow up, grow a pair.

Sure, but not because they add a bunch of syrupy garbage to it.

Top kek

Pic related

I was going to say this, drank a bottle the other night.

It tastes like you would expect bird poop to taste like, not just any bird poop though that would be gross, the kind that looks like smashed fruit.

Nothing says you're a man quite like being able to drink ashtray water straight

I used to work at a bar right next to a biker outlet shop. Bikers are fucking good tippers. Biker women are hideous though.

Literally drinking this right now.

You're alright, cu/ck/s.

the fuck are you talking about, son

well Laphroaig is like a medium rare Prime Rib and Jack Daniels is like a grilled cheese and tomato soup combo

they're both good but for different reasons

Ginger ale and ginger beer work well with bourbon.

To try it without mixer I would recommend sticking a few ice cubes in it, leave it for a bit so it melts a little and cools it, then sip slowly.

JD is more like a McChicken, for me the best fast food sandwich.

for me, it's Buffalo Trail (TM) bourbon bottled at 46%, the best whiskey.

Okay I'm going to lay a beautiful truth bomb on you fuckers. And I've been a bartender for a year so I know a little.

NO ONE GIVES A SHIT WHAT YOU DRINK!

I've got one regular who loves Fireball and Coke, he just loves putting sugar in his veins and he's probably a diabetic. Yes I will never order Fireball (too sweet) but I still like the guy. He's got an upbeat personality and usually gives me 2 bucks for every drink.

Believe me I was a fedora tipping gentleman who wanted to drink Scotch and Bourbon like a man. Even though I've developed a taste for it no one has nodded in approval over my superior tastes. No one thinks I'm a good guy because of my gentlemanly tastes. You drink to unwind no one gives a fuck if you're getting buzzed off a hoppy IPA or a Red's Apple Ale.

My only advice is to try different stuff, variety is the spice of life and I think the most boring man in the room is the guy who just only drinks Miller Lite. Have a Bloody Mary, have a Mojito, have a White Russian. Mix it up crying out loud.

Oh and I can't stand people who just shit on one type of beer or cocktail because they had a bad experience. Bartenders fuck up, the all time classic drinks are signatures for a reason. If you hate Martini the bartender gave you lousy gin or mixed Vodka with Dry Vermouth (the latter don't go together).

Drink it straight?
Just skull it?
Then again I am from straya....
Drinking is normalized...

You shoulda made a highball of crown and coke.

Just an opinion.
There are a lot of flavors out there though, so try a bunch of shit before assuming its all garbage.

It's a bottom shelf bourbon.
Try Jack Daniels first, Tennessee whiskey is lighter and sweeter.

Then try Maker's Mark if you want a decent bourbon.

Wild Turkey 101 is my favorite in its price range.
The higher alcohol allows you to add some ice without watering it down.

>Then try Maker's Mark if you want a decent bourbon.
MM is shit (CS version is good though), if you want a good entry level bourbon that won't break the bank then Buffalo Trace is the best bet.

If your not willing to go with soda. Soda water is an option.

>putting jd above evan williams.
Nigga williams was the origional and would put that where jd is supposed to be. And also add wild turkey

>this barnacle head.
Its a drop of water if you want it. Or splash is somewhat acceptable.
A tsp though? Might as well just put in a mixer.
You only need to swirl it once.
God get off the buzzfeed articles you mook.

I tend to shoot wild turkey, but I also get the 101.
I'd recommend you mix it though.

RC Cola
Big K cola
Store brand cola
More wild turkey

As a former bartender yes they are but id still perfer bikers and their ilk any day to most other patrons. They tip, they will get your back if you are being fucked with by drunks you need to throw out. If they get a little roudy by maybe a busted chair (rarely) from them almost jumpimg into sitting on it. or some puke that missed the toilet. Non bikers are way worse.

>you're not allowed to have different tastes, you MUST like what I like
>trust me, I'm a bartender

Kill yourself.

>says no one cares what you drink.
>judges if you drink whiskey or burbon
You are the reason why people dont tip.

This is my usual go to

What do people think of the Kraken rum? I like it, goes great in rum n cokes.

Doesn't even need coke it already tastes like dr pepper straight.

It's pretty low tier as far as rums go, but easily swigable.

Bulleit is good usually go for their bourbon though.

I went off it a little when I learned that the reason it's so high in rye is because it's made in a mass distillation facility in Indiana as a blending ingredient, and Bulleit just decided to bottle it straight as a rye whiskey.

Old Crow isn't bad

Oh, shit I didn't know that, this changes things. Well might as well finish what I have and go back to their bourbon.

Good mixer. Okay straight.

I like to mix with Vanilla coke and some lemo nuice. It also mixes very well with Mikes Hard Lemonade

Recently bought me a bottle of El Dorado 12 year. I love the sweet after taste it has and when I mix it its alot smoother than expected even with small amounts of mixer

The heroin addict's choice

Tastes like black tar, you're better off with Sailor Jerry

This activated my almonds and oxidized my ethanol

Yeah, that's how I felt. Their bourbon is good shit, though, and it's already high in rye compared to other bourbons anyway.

If you're after a decent rye whiskey, source yourself a bottle of Rittenhouse.

Don't mix it with coke. You'll never be able to drink coke again, assuming you like coke. You'll always taste the repulsive whiskey taste.

I still can't drink oj without tasting vodka

>when you give up on like you start giving a shit about obscure liquor

pls go

>bourbon milkshake
It's been too long, wish I wasn't broke and dry

That only happens if you get yourself absolutely plastered on the shit.

I'm the same way with hard cider. Can't stand the smell of it without feeling sick as all hell.

Get a load of this aficionado

Glenlivet scotch. Any year really is enjoyed them all. Also if you go to a bar, try Moscow mules. I can't get enough of those

>friend pulls out 40 year old whiskey
>pours us both a glass
>does this infront of me
>sees me shot it in the corner of his eye
>looks offended
>mon visage upon the eye contact that followed
Fuck people like you

Mint julep is the easiest OP

make simple syrup in the microwave or stovetop.

just add as much cold water and simplesyrup to the mint and ice and bourbon until it basically tastes like drinking a coke

how is their strait kentucky bourbon?

Who's the fucking vagina that actually told you to get the 81 proof? It's trash.

Source: I drink 101 every day, it's fucking delicious. If you're an alcohol virgin I would suggest you stay that way; the road to alcoholism is long and shitty my friend.