What's difference between polytechnic college (5 years), and Bachelors (3years) + Masters (2 years) in normal college?

What's difference between polytechnic college (5 years), and Bachelors (3years) + Masters (2 years) in normal college?

Are they the same level of engineer?

>Are they the same level of engineer?
Hell naw.
Polytechnique is competitive as fuck. It's the top of the top for French engineers.

Polytechnique was specifically designed to train the future military engineers.
Today, you don't have to work for the state or the military anymore, although the first year is essentially military training, that some student can replace by civil service. Then everyone HAS to get their Masters if they want a diploma from Polytechnique, because Polytechnique does not deliver Bachelor degrees, in fact no engineering school in France does.
For the forth year, if you are well ranked, you can do incorporate a Corps that will make you work for the state at a high level of responsibility, which is otherwise almost impossible without being part of a Corps.
Otherwise, you can be a regular engineer with a usually higher pay because of the prestige.

Note that it is possible to integrate a specific Corps without being at Polytechnique, but only students of Polytechnique can pick any Corps they want.

Oh, and the motherfuckers are paid by the state just for being a student... And for now, they don't have to pay it back if they choose to not work for the state...

What about the jobs? Do they get same chances?
And the pay?

Oh ok, a friend of me has chosen the Polytechnique, while I decided to go for Bachelors + Masters, because I want to options to be open and have two degrees.

Who's going to get lucky with payment at the end?

Are you French ?
If so, definitely him and no one cares about Bachelor's in France (for engineering and management jobs I mean)

If not, the difference is less important but he'll probably still earn more, and if he bonds well enough with his fellow students, he'll have access to the best business network there is in France.

>What about the jobs? Do they get same chances?
No. A Polytechnique (X for short) degree has way more value.

Also it's not "X or normal college", there are other Grande Ecoles than X. It's just at the top of the ranking, but Ecole Centrale or les Mines etc. are pretty good too.

College engineer degrees are kinda... meh. You can still do an ok career with one but you'll have to prove yourself harder, and it's probably going to be more technical/research oriented, whereas generally graduates from top Grandes Ecoles go more into management and administration.

Oh and also, if your friend is not French, he won't get paid by the state and won't be able to integrate a Corps (if think). Actually he'll have to pay the school.

If they are doing an exchange I assume that will be handled by his alma mater.

He is an Italian guy that I met last year, thus he's nit French.

My main goal is to do work in CERN or something alike. Should I continue just normal degrees in Physics?

Yeah, for research, college is fine. In fact in a Grande Ecole you'll spend a lot of time learning management, doing projects and all sort of extraneous things.
Which university is it that you're going to?

I'm studying in University of Picardie.
I've chosen it because of the nice city and great weather.

The university's name effects the value of the degree?

>The university's name effects the value of the degree?
Yes, at the very least it affects the network you'll have access to. Like anywhere else in the world.

>great weather
>Picardie
Are you Scottish or something?

Yeah, Most of the time it's sunny with cozy atmosphere. I'm in my second year in there.

It's really great for a city in the north.

But I'm planning to get Masters in University of Paris or Switzerland.

If by the name you mean the prestige, well yes of course. If you want to work for CERN, university is ok, although you may want to consider transferring to ENS, which is another kind of special school dedicated to research and teaching. Don't know how to do this from a university though, pretty sure it's possible but you need a very good Bachelor's.

>but you need a very good Bachelor's.
I've got trough the first year with good degrees.
And I'm going also to do it in this year and next one.
I don't know if I mentioned this, but my major is physics.

ENS does all scientific fields and more.
It's very renowned for Mathematics and Physics namely.

You should talk to your advisor and ask him what's the best path to get into CERN.

Thank you very much, user

What's tyour grade ? You need to have a very good grade to get into ENS.
Also you had the choice to go to X (without paying) and chose uni of picardie ? If so you are simply retarded.
France has a weird system of grandes ecoles and unis very unique, don't come and study here if you don't know how it works.

The first year I had 15,42/20

And I had not chance to go to X, and my Italian friend that studied with me the first year, applied in X and was accepted.

15,42/20 is good !
Get as good or even better marks this year and the next and you might get accepted in ENS. But the best would be for you to do the "second concours ens lyon" and get accepted at the end of this year.
You also get payed if you go to ENS.
X is top engineering school.
ENS is top scientists school.

ENS sounds good, but I'm not French
Is there going to be some obstacles?

No, the courses are taught in english if you ask for it. I've seen a lot of foreign students fail ENS because they weren't properly prepared for it tho. Make sure you know what you're getting into

There's ENS paris that you can't get into via concours (I think you can get into it with dossier).
Then the other ENS less prestigious but still top schools that you can get into with your dossier (grades) or "concours".
Sometimes it's the end of 2nd year (lyon) or end of 3rd/4th.
If you get into with your grades you'll be "auditeur libre" so you won't get any money and you won't be a "normalien".
If it's with concours you'll have the money and will be a "normalien".
But either way you'll come out of the same school with the same diploma. Ofc being normalien is better though.
Concours is basically a test where only the best get taken.
That's pretty much it.
You also can get into the top engineer schools at the end of 3rd/4th year with your grades.
At the end of 2nd year you can try and get into some shitty and some pretty good engineer schools (concours ccp deug).
That's what I did this year. I got a pretty good engineer school but decided to stay at uni.

>Veeky Forums during european hours
i-its so civil and polite

I'm good with English, do I have to get my Bachelors at first, then apply to ENS?

Or can I do like my Friend and apply in the middle of the Bachelors?

Thank you all

>20-60% foreign students
what shithole is this?

France, so by international they also include brits, germans, italians, swizz, whatever else.

And of course tons of arabs, but hey, that's europe these days amiright

>rmans, italians, swizz, whatever else.
>And of course tons of arabs, but hey, that's europe th
They basically accept foreign students to get that sweet money.
French get payed by the school but foreigners pay the school a huge (american like) amount.

>And of course tons of arabs, but hey, that's europe these days amiright

I studied with two Arabs, and they were so smart and great guys.
University students are the least to face racism because to get into a French university you need to be top smart in their Arab countries.

Keep those ideas outside Veeky Forums please.